Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 07:37 PM

35 posts, read 121,060 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to make an appointment for a routine checkup, but it's almost impossible to get an appointment (I have Tricare Prime.). Every time I called, I was told that I have to call back again to see if there is any openings, which means that I have to wait till someone cancel his/her appointment. The appointment center personnel who took my calls were nice enough to check if there is any openings for ob/gyn also, but with no luck. My clinic is in Kelly A.F.B., but is it always like this? Or, are all military clinics in S.A. on a space-available basis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 07:52 PM

778 posts, read 2,502,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABRONA View Post
I've been trying to make an appointment for a routine checkup, but it's almost impossible to get an appointment (I have Tricare Prime.). Every time I called, I was told that I have to call back again to see if there is any openings, which means that I have to wait till someone cancel his/her appointment. The appointment center personnel who took my calls were nice enough to check if there is any openings for ob/gyn also, but with no luck. My clinic is in Kelly A.F.B., but is it always like this? Or, are all military clinics in S.A. on a space-available basis?
Consider asking them for a referral off-base. You will have to pay a $12.00 co-pay, but it is worth it (for me). As a general rule, I like the service I get at the Kelly Clinic - in fact when they switched me over to the new place out on 281 by Henderson Pass, I opted to switch back to Kelly. But make no mistake, you are experiencing what everybody would get if the country adopted some sort of "universal health care" system. (I'm not trying to make a political statement, just pointing out that, as the OP has witnessed, it often takes a long time to get an appointment for care when the doctor is not paid by you or your insurance company).

Anyway, good luck and try to work with the people when you call for an appointment. I have found that if you talk with them, they will try to help you out.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:04 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,818,189 times
I hate to say this but for a routine check up you'll have to make your appt way in advance. What I've seen in other specialties is that they usually schedule a month, maybe two out. See if you can get through to someone in the clinic and find out when the new schedule is open and call on the day they start it. You may have to actually go to the clinic to find out. They've done a pretty good job of barricading themselves with answering machines.

Another option would be to switch over to Wilford Hall. I think you'd be rolling the dice on appt availability though.

Good luck.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:03 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABRONA View Post
Same for my wife. After you retire, you become 2nd Class Citizens. Then when you turn 65, goodbye Tricare, hello Medicare.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:16 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,172 times
I understand this problem completely! I was just talking to someone about this exact problem. I think the solution is to be aggressive. I don't know if it's going to work on a routine check-up, but I do know they "hold" appointments via the clinics for walk ins. Try calling in the afternoon, sometimes they open those appointments up. It's just a suggestion. If you are really wanting or needing to go, just keep calling, several times a day if you have to. I know it's a pain, but you might be lucky and get something. Also, maybe just try to call the clinic directly, esp. if you know your pcm! I get so ticked off I usually end up saying, "can you just find me someone, a nurse prac, PA, anyone?" Or, sometimes the good ol' sob story helps! Good luck!

Oh, and please know that a lot of the docs are deployed right now. Which means that they are overworked and stressed out! They are trying to pick up the patient load for those docs that are gone and it's very difficult! I guess just keep this in mind and be patient!

Last edited by mojokitty; 02-27-2008 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: addtion...

Old 02-27-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
Consider asking them for a referral off-base. You will have to pay a $12.00 co-pay, but it is worth it (for me). As a general rule, I like the service I get at the Kelly Clinic - in fact when they switched me over to the new place out on 281 by Henderson Pass, I opted to switch back to Kelly. But make no mistake, you are experiencing what everybody would get if the country adopted some sort of "universal health care" system. (I'm not trying to make a political statement, just pointing out that, as the OP has witnessed, it often takes a long time to get an appointment for care when the doctor is not paid by you or your insurance company).

At first, they assigned me to a PCM at Ft.Sam, which is in the other side of the town, so I immediately changed my PCM to a Dr. near my house. After several phone calls I made to try to get an appointment, I started thinking maybe I shouldn't have changed my PCM, but now I'm happy to know that Kelly clinic is a good clinic. Your suggestion sounds good to me, too. I will try to get an appointment again, but maybe I should seriously consider about getting a referral off-base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
Anyway, good luck and try to work with the people when you call for an appointment. I have found that if you talk with them, they will try to help you out.
Thank you! I need that luck. Also, I really appreciate your input.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
I hate to say this but for a routine check up you'll have to make your appt way in advance. What I've seen in other specialties is that they usually schedule a month, maybe two out. See if you can get through to someone in the clinic and find out when the new schedule is open and call on the day they start it. You may have to actually go to the clinic to find out.
Oh, I see... I guess that's why they told me to keep calling. Next time I call (hopefully I will get an appointment, though), I will try to find out when the new schedule is open as well. Boy, I didn't know it would be this hard to try to get an appointment. It seems as if I'm trying to get a concert ticket for Hannah Montana or something...

Quote:
They've done a pretty good job of barricading themselves with answering machines.
LOL!

Quote:
Another option would be to switch over to Wilford Hall. I think you'd be rolling the dice on appt availability though.
Actually, my first selection was Wilford Hall, but Tricare assigned me to my second selection, Kelly clinic. But you're right. Even I could switch over to Wilford Hall, I probably would be in the same situation as now.

Quote:
Good luck.
Thank you! I need that luck. Also, I really appreciate your input.

Last edited by KABRONA; 02-27-2008 at 09:30 AM..

Old 02-27-2008, 09:10 AM

604 posts, read 1,530,091 times
I hate to suggest this- but it has worked for me--lie! Tell them you have a more urgent problem- not to urgent to go to the emergency room- or that is what they will suggest. And when you finally get in there--make sure you cover everything, every problem you can think of- cuz you may never get in again. I do mean just a little white lie- like you have noticed your blood pressure has been elevated recently- and then when you go in- say it must of been the stress I was under (LIKE TRYING TO GET AN APPOINTMENT!)

Old 02-27-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Same for my wife. After you retire, you become 2nd Class Citizens. Then when you turn 65, goodbye Tricare, hello Medicare.
I guess many people have a hard time in getting appointment with military clinics in S.A... I've been to military clinics in San Diego, 29Palms, Oki.,JPN, but I've never had an experience like this before. I'm a bit surprised, but I guess what I can do is keep trying.

By the way, I heard there is what is called "Tricare for life", which provides health care coverage to 65 years of age or older. I wonder how it works and if it's any good...

Thank you for your comment!

Old 02-27-2008, 09:47 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,010,218 times
Tricare for life is.. not for life.. Once Medicare hits.. its good bye Tricare.. My mom had Tricare for life.. she has been subsequently released from it once she started getting retirement. She has a heck of a time getting appointments also..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio