Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 05:59 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,367,910 times

Advertisements

For the first time ever since I have been a member of this forum Trapper and Azure are right simultaneoulsy. Masons don't come any better Trapper. Cement work too.
When the set was created for the John Wayne movie the Alamo, it was discovered that a mason who could build a replica of the Alamo could not be found. Enter a Mexican who did come over and build one in Bracketville, tx. for the movie set.
Wayne sized the guy up and asked, " Can you really build a replica of the Alamo?"
The guy answered back, " Can you make a movie about the Alamo?" Wayne laughed and said "Well good enough". Surely and appropriately enough the Alamo got built, all over again. Twice.
I am disappointed that it is now delapidating.

Rural folks will be negatively affected by this,, the farmers and ranchers that are dependent on this always available, cheap labor source. You think D.C. is going to say what ranchers do in south Texas? I doubt it. This has gone on for centuries nearly. This symbiotic economic relationship. Trump will fix everything with the crystal ball from atop the Trump Ivory Tower. Yes , we are all going to change starting Jan. and will turn over a new leaf. Just like the U.S.- the Entire world will be Made Great again because- a rising tide lifts all boats.

Commodities will surely go up. Strawberries will cost ten or fifteen a pint. Americans want fifteen an hour plus Med. Ins.and retirement- To pick strawberries. OK.
Housing prices in " to good to be true" San Antonio may not be so cheap.
Accommodations will go up in price downtown. These people will just flat out run circles around American workers in tough physical work. I have seen occurrences of this, all over the country. Really. I can give for instances. I have been on Construction projects that came in at billions, of dollars total, and who is inevitably called in to do cement work?
You've got it. Not the Ghostbusters.
New Orleans was rebuilt by immigrant labor. SO much so that George Lopez finally quipped FEMA is not really the Federal Emergency Management Agency. It actually is an acronym for " Find Every Mexican Available."
Hell even Bill Millers surely will go up in price this time Redneck, sorry. Tacos will soon be $3.00 each.
This shall go down in history as worse than Obamacare.

While away from San Antonio.
I once worked in a construction company with ten divisions that worked all over the country. The most profitable division of all of this, one of the largest companies in the country, was the cement division.
EVERYONE stay out of the way of those crews , to slow production of cement slab was a company cardinal sin. One might become company dead wood overnight. Concrete was literally liquid money flowing around the clock. Right before your eyes. Very specialized and these slabs after hardening could fail inspections if done incorrectly for a number of reasons.
And the immigrants from where, I wonder, "were pouring slabs of concrete on these tremendous projects?" You've guessed it. Making union wages, pensions and benefits to boot. Trump has used illegal labor, all know this. Now it is a big deal? Sorry, Redneck.
It happens.
It is, what it is. It ain't always about the cost.

Not one word was ever mentioned on the implementation of a ruinous fine for knowingly hiring the undocumented worker, the true detriment to the hiring of foreign labor, illegally. It was smoke and mirrors with all cheering on. Yayee.
The election is over.
Maybe a National I.D. Card. These workers won't come if there is no labor market for them to fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Well, there ARE ways to enter this country legally with a work visa. Does that program need updating? It's quite possible - but that's another discussion. I've seen GOOD masons that left the business over the years, simply because they weren't willing to work for the low wages that an illegal will. That migrated....now, many carpentry crews are largely comprised of illegal workers.

Will it drive prices up? Likely - but why should some sectors be largely "free" of the low wage scale workers, reap the benefits of the cheap labor - and then tell other workers in those trades their jobs shouldn't be protected?

TrapperL - love ya like a brother, and you and I go back MANY years - but I'm afraid we're going to disagree on this one. Cheaper labor is NOT a reason to "excuse" illegal workers. They need to go through the proper channels, just as many others have over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 06:20 PM

4,427 posts, read 5,308,367 times
This thread is full of speculation. Some quoting a NYT article that was poorly written with insinuations? Dumb.

We have some mad Hillary voters here too.

Fact is until legislation is authored then none of us know what will happen. Just stop. we know nothing and either does the Washington crowd who said he will never win.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:45 PM

858 posts, read 852,770 times
Most likely we will just see a return to the policies in place prior to 2009. In other words the government will no longer actively encourage illegals to enter the country but it won't do much about it if they come anyway.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:46 PM

7,106 posts, read 11,761,530 times
As I said initially - pay fair wages, get good work. If those workers have to come from south of the border, so be it - but there's ways to do that legally. We did it when we were ranching, and a friend in Laredo did so for generations, often for several generations of the same family. Some became naturalized citizens, others did not - that was their choice.

My biggest gripe is with the businesses that hire illegals knowingly, ONLY because they'll work cheap. TrapperL - I don't recall the name, but there was a local SA builder/contractor many years ago that was infamous for hiring illegal crews, then calling immigration on them after stringing them out and delaying paying them. One of 'em finally made their way back into town, and ensured that he'd not do it again. Understand - I'm not blaming them for trying to come in and work - as noted, it's gone on forever. It's seeing the workforce being displaced over cheaper labor that bothers me. If you look at the REAL cost of goods, labor is a relatively small component overall, generally speaking.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:01 PM

Default To Immigrants,

It is much ado about nothing. All politics is hot air and Trump's memory lasts about thirty minutes.
A Lucky thing for Hillary that is too.
We listen and are amused by it. Politics is propaganda. Opinions vary. Wars come and go. No one is entirely wrong or entirely right.
"Within three months " My Generals will submit a plan to me to defeat Isis."
Here we go again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
Most likely we will just see a return to the policies in place prior to 2009. In other words the government will no longer actively encourage illegals to enter the country but it won't do much about it if they come anyway.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:32 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,806,639 times
Quote:
but there's ways to do that legally
There's the problem. For most of the "illegals" here, they are not wanted and no way to get here legally. Our work visa programs suck real bad. From my having experience in trying to get "illegals", legal, and dealing with attorneys for them so I didn't lose a valued sub, our Gov't only allows "professionals" to get a visa. One of my valued framers, I managed to get him a visa at the cost of about 10 grand in legal fees because he was once a full degreed dentist in Monterrey. Otherwise, they were not going to let him back in the country. We'll take the folks with degrees but not the sweat labor. This is where it's wrong.
I also think we agree more than you think. If we got all of the "illegals" legal, they'd be subject to the same labor laws that you and I are subject to. They'd be making more money and the cheap labor would be gone. They'd be paying taxes whereas now they don't. They'd be paying into Social Security that could desperately use the cash infusion. I had a mason that I was very close to. He was from a little town called Columbia in Mexico. He was robbed of several thousand dollars twice that I know of. He couldn't call the cops or report it or he would have been deported. That's wrong no matter how you cut it. Yeah, I think they need to build the wall but at the same time figure out how to get the sweat labor here so they can provide for their families just like we do.

FWIW, you might want to know that there are many boats headed this direction from Venezuela loaded with folks that can't buy groceries at any price at home. These folks are starving. Should we in our Christian values find them jobs or put them back on a boat to starvation? I can't imagine how it is we can live with ourselves when our Gov't is pushing to import folks that all they want is to kill us but will turn away folks starving that are willing to work for it. That's not the Christian religion I was brought up in.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:23 PM

Once ....I saw an entire apartment complex still under construction burnt entirely to the ground in San Antonio because of a labor dispute with the Carpentry subs. The subs took out there own retribution.
It was a true mess and the clean up guys were blacker than coal cinders by quitting time. Literally only the white of their eyes were all which could be seen upon them. The foundations were kept and new buildings
were erected upon them.

Another time and year an apartmet complex was being erected on Blanco Rd just north of Wurzbach.
Deer Run I think it was called.
As I was walking through I looked at the back of the project , so walked back for a closer look and when I turned around where there had been dozens of tradesman, brickies, carpenters, etc., a beehive of activity it was = of a sudden there was no one, I was alone totally. Completely. Not one soul was within sight. All the workers had completely disappeared. I have never seen anything like this before or since. It was like a magic act.
Within seconds an Immigra SUV truck pulled into the site and waved howdy from within their air-conditioned vehicle.
Ah, yes I thought , it is not coffee break, rather it is time to break into a sprint. One guy was caught and taken to Nuevo Laredo for exportation but walked back from Laredo to San Antoio in one week.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:32 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,107,965 times
The thing that is different in San Antonio than say, the migrants working the mushroom farms in Kennett Square, PA is that they have been here for generations and many are US citizens because they were born here. And they speak fluent English and smirk when you ask them about speaking their grandparent's Spanish. Their grandfather who was the first mason in the family to come across might be a slight risk, but I don't see it happening either that they would send grandpa home.

At least that's how the conversation went with the masons that I talked to. Now, those first generationals working in the PA mushroom farm, trudging that blend of horse poop and rotten eggs to grow those mushrooms, yeah, I'd be nervous if I was them. Good thing I no longer like mushrooms.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:52 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,624,758 times
I wonder why this is in the San Antonio forum? San Antonio has actually very few illegals given the population of the city and how many total Hispanics there are there. Dallas and Houston have far more in the work force (even per capita).

Old 11-27-2016, 08:04 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,719,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
I wonder why this is in the San Antonio forum? San Antonio has actually very few illegals given the population of the city and how many total Hispanics there are there. Dallas and Houston have far more in the work force (even per capita).
Do you have stats backing this claim up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio