Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 08:17 AM

337 posts, read 1,431,349 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! Just wondering....Why is Walmart all of a sudden feeling like they can ask to inspect our receipts now as we are walking out the door? My husband and I were in yesterday for a few things (At Military and 410) and the little old woman they have posted at the door is now stopping everyone and asking to "see your receipt"! Needless to say, it was a crowd at Walmart yesterday, what with the holiday coming up, so my husband and I tried to go around someone she already had stopped with a big TV in their cart. We had only bought groceries and felt absolutely violated when she made a big deal to stop us in the middle of all the crowd and ask to see our receipt!!! So now, Walmart presumes we are guilty until proven innocent by inspection of our receipt? I am incensed over this and wonder if anyone else is feeling their rights being violated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 08:20 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
It's not a personal attack. If they're picking you out of a crowd and not checking anyone else's, then you have a right to be upset. CostCo does this too. Maybe they've had a problem with theft over there and this is a way to try and curb that. There are bigger things in life to worry about.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:21 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecovringKrspyKremeAddict View Post
Hey everyone! Just wondering....Why is Walmart all of a sudden feeling like they can ask to inspect our receipts now as we are walking out the door? My husband and I were in yesterday for a few things (At Military and 410) and the little old woman they have posted at the door is now stopping everyone and asking to "see your receipt"! Needless to say, it was a crowd at Walmart yesterday, what with the holiday coming up, so my husband and I tried to go around someone she already had stopped with a big TV in their cart. We had only bought groceries and felt absolutely violated when she made a big deal to stop us in the middle of all the crowd and ask to see our receipt!!! So now, Walmart presumes we are guilty until proven innocent by inspection of our receipt? I am incensed over this and wonder if anyone else is feeling their rights being violated?

Guilty of what? It's for your protection. They are just making sure that you didn't leave an item or two behind at the cash register.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:23 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
They've always done this. So does Sam's. Every move we make, practically everywhere, is done on camera--somebody's camera, somewhere--so I don't see the big deal in showing my receipt.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:26 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
Exactly. If you duck into a corner to pick your nose,pick your wedgie, pass gas and smile, etc...someone, somewhere saw it!!

Old 03-23-2008, 08:30 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
And if it's a privately-owned camera, and you did something awesomely funny, or even mildly funny, it may end up on someone's blog! Or youtube, if it was a camcorder. Haha, I wonder how many I've shown up on?

Old 03-23-2008, 08:47 AM

778 posts, read 2,502,481 times
Wal Mart and Sam's and the others mentioned have done this forever. Make no mistake - they aren't doing it because of you, they are doing it because they don't trust their own employees. How hard would it be for a family member to go through the checkout and only be charged for $10.00 worth of stuff but walk out with the new wardrobe (of Wal Mart fashions)?

I used to feel the same sense of privacy violation when I would go, but now, I don't even think twice - I keep my receipt out and head straight for the oldest person wearing a vest!

Old 03-23-2008, 09:16 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Not so much at the 1604/Potranco store...yesterday was the first time I have been asked, and it was because the alarm went off on my new phones. The lady there was very nice, and asked to mark down the information from my receipt...appeared to be a log book for them to keep track of WHICH CASHIER did not "detag" electronics so that the sensor would not alarm. She wrote down the item, the lane I bought at and the time.

Other than that, I NEVER get stopped...(but the Walmart you mentioned I ALWAYS get stopped, which is why I REFUSE to shop there anymore.) Bothers me to since it is inconsistent. At SAMS and COSTCO it is everyone/always, but I think it is the here and not there that bothers me. Went to Walmart in Houston this week as well, and no one asked me, my mom or sister for receipts.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:18 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,421,762 times
I do believe you have a legal right to refuse that inspection - this has been a huge debate online for a while.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:27 AM

259 posts, read 909,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
I do believe you have a legal right to refuse that inspection - this has been a huge debate online for a while.
I think that's the case for public stores since ownership of the items was transferred to you at the time of the sale, but "private" clubs like Sam's and Costco are a different story. I'm fairly certain that members sign an agreement that allows the stores to check your purchases.

A friend of mine found this out the hard way and lost her Costco membership by refusing to let them examine her cart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio