Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 10:03 AM

167 posts, read 590,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Wildmaven, instead of saying "whoo hoo" we say "yeh haw". We also say things like "giddy up little doggy", "ride um cowboy", "awh shucks", "dang-it", "darn", "gotta hankerin'', y'all come back ya hear" and "happy trails".
Hahhaha...I already say "dang it" and "darn", so I'm already part way there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 11:50 AM

25 posts, read 113,757 times
Here's my take on the 'the' debate:

When us locals refer to 281 or 1604, etc., we're referring to a street name. You wouldn't say "I'm driving on the Bandera Road" or the "HEB is on the DeZavala", would you? Adding a 'the' in front of 10 or 1604 sounds just as strange, to me at least.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:15 PM

59 posts, read 203,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh97 View Post

the "HEB is on the DeZavala"
HEB is a name and you just put "the" in front of it.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:14 PM

454 posts, read 505,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh97 View Post
Here's my take on the 'the' debate:

When us locals refer to 281 or 1604, etc., we're referring to a street name. You wouldn't say "I'm driving on the Bandera Road" or the "HEB is on the DeZavala", would you? Adding a 'the' in front of 10 or 1604 sounds just as strange, to me at least.
Oddly enough, having lived in England I developed this habit as well. Indeed it is very correct to say "The High St" or "The London Road" or "The Cowley Road" - the latter two of which are the roads leading to those cities/towns. I don't know why the High St (ie Main St) is also prefaced with "the" other local streets are not.

So, saying "The Bandera Road" makes perfect sense to me. Although, since that's not what locals say, it's never come about.

That doesn't entirely explain why "The 10'" "The 210" "the 605" etc are the norm in Southern California (not NoCal - they hate when we call it 'The Five" instead of I-5), but who says there has to be a reason? We also have things like "The Grapevine" on California highways and I'm sure others I've forgotten.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:03 PM

167 posts, read 590,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakapu View Post
Oddly enough, having lived in England I developed this habit as well. Indeed it is very correct to say "The High St" or "The London Road" or "The Cowley Road" - the latter two of which are the roads leading to those cities/towns. I don't know why the High St (ie Main St) is also prefaced with "the" other local streets are not.
Wait. You say "The High Street" but say "I'm going to University" or "I'm going to Hospital"?

Old 02-29-2008, 08:32 PM

454 posts, read 505,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmaven View Post
Wait. You say "The High Street" but say "I'm going to University" or "I'm going to Hospital"?

Yeah, I know. Nuts huh?
Those English are weird ;-)

Old 03-02-2008, 09:58 AM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
I'll just let you keep guessing!

Ok...I'll clarify. I am FEMALE (ambi - which is probably why you're confused *lol*)...living in San Diego with my old man, but a San Antonio native. Since I still feel very much a part of San Antonio (it's home and always will be), I prefer to post here.

ETA: My profile gives most of my info...check it out!
Thanks for clearing that up! Some of your post suggested that you were in SA because you mentioned going to La Mariposa, etc. I thought that you must travel alot between SA and SD. By the way... they are still danicing at the Mariposa according to some work associates.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:30 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,456,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Thanks for clearing that up! Some of your post suggested that you were in SA because you mentioned going to La Mariposa, etc. I thought that you must travel alot between SA and SD. By the way... they are still danicing at the Mariposa according to some work associates.
I will be coming home in April...that was when I was planning on going to La Mariposa. Now that I know they're still dancing, I'm putting it on my list of things to do while I'm there! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio