U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2008, 12:10 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
2,397 posts, read 5,846,173 times
Reputation: 641

Advertisements

My SO calls it San Antone, too, and he's a NATIVE! Unfortunately, he lived in California all of his adult life. It's time to move back home and put some TEXAS back in the man!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2008, 12:12 PM
 
454 posts, read 371,103 times
Reputation: 52
I can say "I-35" I can say "281". I can NOT say "I-10."

To me, it was always be "The 10" - I grew up a few blocks from it in SoCal, it's how I identified my town ("where The 605 meets the 10.")

That's just the way it is. And I left CA in 1992. Some things you can't get rid of, that's like askingTexans not to say "y'all" if you go to another state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2008, 12:19 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
2,397 posts, read 5,846,173 times
Reputation: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakapu View Post
ISome things you can't get rid of, that's like askingTexans not to say "y'all" if you go to another state.
My boss dictated a letter the other day where he threw "y'all" in, then retracted and says to me (on the tape) "take the 'y'all' out...we're not in Texas!" The man was born and raised in NYC! I guess my "y'all" is contagious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2008, 12:20 PM
 
454 posts, read 371,103 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
My boss dictated a letter the other day where he threw "y'all" in, then retracted and says to me (on the tape) "take the 'y'all' out...we're not in Texas!" The man was born and raised in NYC! I guess my "y'all" is contagious!
I swore I wouldn't use it when I moved here. That lasted a week. It's a good thing, IMO, however I do manage to keep it out of formal business correspondence even if I do say it everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2008, 09:18 PM
 
1,423 posts, read 2,987,444 times
Reputation: 329
Wildmaven, instead of saying "whoo hoo" we say "yeh haw". We also say things like "giddy up little doggy", "ride um cowboy", "awh shucks", "dang-it", "darn", "gotta hankerin'', y'all come back ya hear" and "happy trails".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2008, 09:26 PM
 
1,423 posts, read 2,987,444 times
Reputation: 329
Default Enigna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
My SO calls it San Antone, too, and he's a NATIVE! Unfortunately, he lived in California all of his adult life. It's time to move back home and put some TEXAS back in the man!
I cannot figure out if you are a man or a woman, live in SA or CA? Confused!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2008, 09:32 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX (78201)
604 posts, read 1,668,740 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakapu View Post
I can say "I-35" I can say "281". I can NOT say "I-10."

To me, it was always be "The 10" - I grew up a few blocks from it in SoCal, it's how I identified my town ("where The 605 meets the 10.")

That's just the way it is. And I left CA in 1992. Some things you can't get rid of, that's like askingTexans not to say "y'all" if you go to another state.
most the time I don't even put the "I" in front of it. I'll just say "Take 35 south to 10 west, then take 410 west exit blah blah blah...."







"Y'all"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Western Bexar County
3,823 posts, read 13,353,408 times
Reputation: 1905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Wildmaven, instead of saying "whoo hoo" we say "yeh haw". We also say things like "giddy up little doggy", "ride um cowboy", "awh shucks", "dang-it", "darn", "gotta hankerin'', y'all come back ya hear" and "happy trails".
Been watchin' Roy Rogers re-runs???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2008, 07:25 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
1,314 posts, read 2,773,302 times
Reputation: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Wildmaven, instead of saying "whoo hoo" we say "yeh haw". We also say things like "giddy up little doggy", "ride um cowboy", "awh shucks", "dang-it", "darn", "gotta hankerin'', y'all come back ya hear" and "happy trails".
And don't forget "fixin' to"!

Another numerical reference you hear sometimes is that "I live in the 210", which of course is the area code for most of Bexar County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2008, 09:49 AM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
2,397 posts, read 5,846,173 times
Reputation: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
I cannot figure out if you are a man or a woman, live in SA or CA? Confused!
I'll just let you keep guessing!









Ok...I'll clarify. I am FEMALE (ambi - which is probably why you're confused *lol*)...living in San Diego with my old man, but a San Antonio native. Since I still feel very much a part of San Antonio (it's home and always will be), I prefer to post here.

ETA: My profile gives most of my info...check it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:34 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top