U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 07:59 AM

3,471 posts, read 17,213,707 times

Advertisements

The car shows are still going every Friday night. All the old cars gather for show and tell. It's almost like the old days. I go there almost weekly just to support the business and keep it around. It is a landmark of the city and with the revival and renewal of the area, it needs to be supported and kept there just for a bit of reality check and history of SA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 08:19 AM

3,109 posts, read 8,696,927 times
The Pigstand on S. Presa was the first drive-in restaurant in the US. It deserves an historical landmark! My parents went there a lot, it was just a few blocks from Brackenridge High School. There use to be a bowling alley next door. When I was 5 or 6 I was in the bowling alley with my parents. One of there friends was getting ready to bowl and on his backswing, the 16 lb. bowling ball hit me in the forehead, full force. I had been sitting on the u shape seats at the end. I was unconscious until the next morning when I woke up in my grandmothers bedroom. They didn't believe in doctors back then.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:32 AM

425 posts, read 1,029,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
The Pigstand on S. Presa was the first drive-in restaurant in the US. It deserves an historical landmark!
The article Bowie posted says otherwise:
"Begun in Dallas in 1921 in the first blush of America's romance with the automobile, the Pig Stand boasted of being the nation's first drive-in restaurant"

Old 04-03-2008, 09:33 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,356,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heimerswt View Post
The article Bowie posted says otherwise:
"Begun in Dallas in 1921 in the first blush of America's romance with the automobile, the Pig Stand boasted of being the nation's first drive-in restaurant"
I don't care about historic status, but the big pig needs to be made a landmark!

Old 04-03-2008, 09:39 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,107,503 times
Quote:
More than one restaurant claims to have been the first drive-in restaurant in the United States. The owner of the Pig Stand, a local restaurant in Dallas, Texas, purportedly began serving his customers in their cars because he believed that they were too lazy to come inside. J.G. Kirby opened Pig Stand in 1921. A restaurant in Glendale, California, opened in 1936, also claims to be the first drive-in restaurant. Drive-in restaurants increased in popularity throughout the following decades, reaching their peak in the 1950s. Eventually, competition from fast food restaurants like McDonalds proved to be too much for many of these drive-ins. (Source)

Cheers! M2

Old 04-03-2008, 04:17 PM

73 posts, read 91,179 times
Pig Stand business should really pick up once all the housing is built in that area. The Pearl, 1800 and Broadway Lofts plus whatever else is planned and not yet published.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,128 times
Angry I can't believe it!

I usally make 2 trips to San Antonio a year, and I love eating at the Pig Stand. That was my tradition after departing the airport. That was my most favorite place to eat in San Antonio. This sucks that they are closed! Im actually making another trip to San Antonio this November and I was really looking forward to eating there. Now, I have to find another place that is just as good.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:36 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,128,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah801 View Post
I usally make 2 trips to San Antonio a year, and I love eating at the Pig Stand. That was my tradition after departing the airport. That was my most favorite place to eat in San Antonio. This sucks that they are closed! Im actually making another trip to San Antonio this November and I was really looking forward to eating there. Now, I have to find another place that is just as good.
You have something against the location on Broadway? It's still open.

See post #7 in this thread.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:14 PM

2,355 posts, read 5,405,343 times
I was shocked when i went on a saturday night and about 6 people were eating. I hope business is doing good.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:25 AM

5 posts, read 16,857 times
Default The Pig is Alive and Surviving...

Here we are, 2010, over three years after the bankrupcy of the Texas Pig Stand Chain. The last remaing Pig Stand on Broadway reopened under new ownership in 2007, albeit the new owner was an original employee of the old chain. There is not much difference between the way it had been, and the way it is now. The new owner / manager has elected to keep things pretty much the same.
It is still a lot of fun to drive down Broadway for a burger and a shake or any of the other great items they sell. It is almost like walking back in time to the late 1950's, but with a modern approach. I also like playing the jukebox there, right from your booth, while you wait for your order to be served. My grandkids have a blast, and it is just a great family place to go. As far as the history of the Pig Stand goes, it is all over the walls, in the form of old photos, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio