Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2017, 09:47 AM

34 posts, read 59,708 times

Advertisements

Hey Y'all, my husband, myself, and 2yrold son, currently live in Madison, Wi and are considering relocating to San Antonio or Austin area. My husband is a computer technician and will be looking for jobs in the local school districts, as he has IT experience in K-12 and college levels. I know many people ask what are the best districts to send their kids, but I want to know what are the best districts to work for? How are pay (some districts are known to pay more/less than average)? Benefits? Paid time off? Working environment? Ideally he would find a job in a local school district and that is where we would live. We also need to consider cost of living, since we will be a one income family.

Thanks in advance for your help!

*This posting has been cross-listed in the Austin Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 10:16 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Since you are considering COL, I would think Austin COL is higher but maybe not by much more. I can't comment on school districts though. Good Luck.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:31 AM

Thanks Azure!

Old 01-02-2017, 10:43 AM

520 posts, read 781,553 times
I would start with a list of the school district rankings, Check the HR sites for the top 5-10 an find their pay bands for IT types - it's all public record so it just takes a little legwork. I can't speak directly on how primary ed pays here aside from the fact that we have a couple folks who used to work at NISD & NEISD working with us so I know at least where I work pays better since these were moves to contractor positions from public benefits ones.

I can speak on higher ed - at least 5 years ago. I worked IT at PSU for 10 years and when I looked at similar public university positions here in Texas (UT-A, UTSA, & TA&M) they were capped a full $15-20k lower than most Big 10 school ranges. Private universities don't pay much better, as per a former co-worker now in IT management at Baylor and member of my alumni association on faculty at St. Mary's. I wish the picture was different because I miss working in higher ed.

There are comparable salaries here, but your husband will more than likely have to move into management or look outside of education.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:52 AM

Thank you CyVaquero, that info is very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: