Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2007, 07:47 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,852,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I remember there was a place that was attached to the wall of sears when you exited, it was in the early 80's. Was that the Frontier? I am sure it was on the lower level.
That sounds like the cafe that was inside of Sears, but I never ate there. There was a hallway and another store between Sears and the Frontier.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:40 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,430,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
That sounds like the cafe that was inside of Sears, but I never ate there. There was a hallway and another store between Sears and the Frontier.
I don't know honestly if you can enter thru sears, but i could be wrong its been over 25 years since i saw that.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:43 AM

28 posts, read 153,649 times
Well this is my first time posting here, I just found this forum. I grew up here in SA, I'm 46 so that tells ya how far back I go. My family owned Storm's Drive In on Fredericksburg Road just inside 410. They then opened Storms Bar B Que right next door. A guy by the name of Grady Cowart came to work for my grandmother, and she eventually sold the Bar B Que place to Grady, this we have "Grady's", now all over town, but Grady sold the restaurants several years back. From what I understand, he now lives in Rockport. I used to be best friends with his daughter Donna, and was bussing tables at Grady's when I was around 7 or 8 years old. Those were some great times.

We lived in Balcones Heights for 5 years, then moved to Monte Vista on Mistletoe. My dad and mom were always taking us to the Fredricksburg Rd. Drive In. We also went to Wonderland Mall a lot (now Cross Roads). North Star back then was considered "the place" to go. When I was in high school, I worked there at Hickory Farms part-time. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned Dunderbachs at Central Park. It was actually in North Star. It was our competition so I remember it well. Remember "Frost Bros"?? That was the high end store there in North Star.

I also remember going to the San Pedro Drive In. That was considered way out on the edge of town. Speaking of San Pedro, we used to go to Reed's Red Dirby, which later became Maggie's Restaurant. Reeds actually was a cool place. The Rolling Stones had breakfast there one time when they were in town. They had this picture up in the restaurant of them.

My question to all you locals, I was told by a few people that Stevie Ray Vaughan played a lot at Maggies before he was famous. Does any one know about this? Did anyone see him, and if so, do you know what year or approx. when this was? I belong to his fan club, and the president of our club is now writing his second book about Stevie's life. He is looking for acurate data on clubs that Stevie played, etc. I would appreciate any help on this.

I could go on and on about growing up in SA. Lot's of memories. I love my home town. I hope this thread gets active again, as I really would love to get into it more.

Terry

Old 08-27-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
This is going to sound strange, but one thing that I really miss is the old style pharmacies. Walgreen's, Eckerd's (CVC). When the buildings were smaller and everything wasn't so open. I guess Walgreen's is still like that. But I hate CVC, with their huge layouts and open environment. They (Eckerd's) used to be better than Walgreen's.

Walgreen's rules!
<p>

ah , how about Pat's pharmacy on Broadway, or the Olmos Pharmacy (still there) . They have the best milk shakes.

We lived just down the street from Laural Heights pharmacy on Mistletoe, and used to go there all the time.

Terry

Old 08-27-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
I remember the slot car races, there was also a Saturday morning TV show from wonderland. That was before Rhodes was opened. The mall had these so 60s big paper balls hanging from the ceilings. Saw Capt Gus there also.
<p>

Yep I remember the Toy Box. That was our fav. store. There was also a pet store down there, I think it was called "Fintique". My brother had alot of fishtanks, and he was always going there. There was also a Tandy's down there.

Capt. Gus, woohoooo. Ahoy little mattie. His name was Joe Alston. He went to our church. When he retired, he moved to pipe creek. In fact I think he used to mention pipe creek all the time on the show. My friends in elementary school couldn't believe I knew him personally. lol

Old 08-27-2007, 09:26 AM

Ok I wish I had not found this forum. I am going to spend my one day off sitting here reminising about stuff. Ok, here is some "morbid" stuff that has happened in SA thru the years.

Remember a few years after the Hemisfair Tower was built, the guy jumping off and committing suicide? I think 2 other people did it too before they put the fence up.

Remember Theresa Brown, the famous madam and her little black book of local politicians? My brother in law is a retired SAPD vice cop who was undercover and busted her. Ben Lively, he made all the newspapers and news when that was happening.

When I was about 22 or 23, I worked at Olmos Park city hall. One night we got out late cause there was a meeting that evening. It was around the x-mas holidays. When we walked out, there was this god-awful smell in the air. No one knew what it was, but people were calling the little police station and fire department to see what it was. When I got home, I still had that smell in my sinuses. The next day I went to work, and asked the firemen if they had found out what it was. They said yes, but I probably did not want to know what it was. Of course they told me. Seems the morgue down town had taken all the vagrant and unclaimed dead bodies for the year, and had a major cremation. The wind was just right and carried the stench to the north side of town. True story.

Remember the fiesta parade where the sniper shot all those people? I think it happened downtown on Broadway. Another police officer I knew, Jack Flesher, was a helicopter pilot for SAPD, and flew over the area. He actually had the sniper in his sites, but was afraid to shoot because of all the people in the area.

Remember the Ku Klux Klan marching in downtown SA, and the police out with riot gear? That was around 82 or 83 I think.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:39 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,878,952 times
Actually, the smell in Olmos Park was the Zoo burning a dead elephant. The story got out that it was a cremation, it was, but an elephant, not people. The Zoo staff had to cut it up with a chain saw and burn it in thier incenerator. The incinerator is right next to 281 and Hildebrand. That's why the smell hit Olmos Park, kinda close to the fire. The Zoo closed it's crematorium. They are not allowed to use it anymore.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
Actually, the smell in Olmos Park was the Zoo burning a dead elephant. The story got out that it was a cremation, it was, but an elephant, not people. The Zoo staff had to cut it up with a chain saw and burn it in thier incenerator. The incinerator is right next to 281 and Hildebrand. That's why the smell hit Olmos Park, kinda close to the fire. The Zoo closed it's crematorium. They are not allowed to use it anymore.
REALLY? Then why did the fire and police department the very next day say it was the morgue? They said they had confirmed it with SAPD. Now I'm curious....

Old 08-27-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwolfman View Post
I believe they played at the Golden Stallion all the time.

Who used to go to the BBP Blue Bonnet Palace?? Or the Texas Dance Hall. I saw Garth Brooks there for $5 I also saw the Judds for around the same IT was way before they were famous . At the BBP I got on stage with Charley Daniels. Just dancing and chit with my wife. He was a nice guy. The Music, Rock and Country Scene, was pretty good in an around SA. I have another Claim to fame. I was flying out of SA on business one day. We are in our seats and I tell my buddy. Hey there is Jimmy Page. He says no way. I say Yep I know him anywhere. About this time a person with a Jimmy Page tour jacket gets on. Their in First class so when his wife gets up, I make my Move. Got his auto and told him, he was the greatest Guitar Player I have ever seen Blah Blah Blah. He was a very nice guy. OF course when his wife got back. I had to go back into my Sardine Seat. Even when we flew Into O 'Hare, I was getting off the Plane and I feal a tug on my Shirt. I look around and he says Thanks for your support Mate. It seems that there was always some kind of signings in SA. Sound Warhouse moved into SA and that was the cheapest place to get Records. I went to a Cheap Trick Signing there. All Though it was the Cheapest I think I went to Flip Side more. They had underground comics there too and IMports. There was also a big rumor floating around that if you knew the password, you could buy Dope there. LOL Wasn't into that So I never knew if it was true. Who was the Band that had those tshirts made up from there song of Disco Sucks. I remember Legs Diamond was big in the SA area. I also remember hanging out at the Comedore Swim Club and listening to Rick Deringer on 8 Track. Times were pretty good then.
I know this is a real old post, but I was just reading thru all this today.

Yes I used to go to the Texas Dance Hall too. Also spent all my hard earned money at Sound Warehouse on San Pedro. I think it's where Gradys is now.

I do remember the Cheap Trick signing. I think I went to that concert. That was a cool place.

I remember going to concerts at the Municipal Auditorum down town. Saw Gino Vanelli there several times...

Old 08-27-2007, 05:35 PM

78 posts, read 407,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeta2 View Post
Remember a few years after the Hemisfair Tower was built, the guy jumping off and committing suicide? I think 2 other people did it too before they put the fence up.

Remember the fiesta parade where the sniper shot all those people? I think it happened downtown on Broadway. Another police officer I knew, Jack Flesher, was a helicopter pilot for SAPD, and flew over the area. He actually had the sniper in his sites, but was afraid to shoot because of all the people in the area.

Remember the Ku Klux Klan marching in downtown SA, and the police out with riot gear? That was around 82 or 83 I think.
In 1981 or so my brother and a friend were downtown skipping school and happened to look up at the Tower of Americas to see something fall from it. Later that day the news reported a man had jumped to his death. I also recall some years after that another person jumped off -- but with a parachute! Somehow snuck up there and parachuted off the observation deck.

The sniper shooting was at the Battle of Flowers Parade. 1978? It indeed occurred on Broadway and Grayson. He managed to shoot a few people and then was holed up in a trailer-camper where he took his own life. Horrible day in S.A. history.

The KKK did rally in downtown San Antonio during the early 80's. I believe it took place at The Alamo actually. In 1996 the KKK once again rallied in S.A. this time at the Bexar County Courthouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio