U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2007, 06:55 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,924,759 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember Super Slide?...the mini water park next to San Francisco Steak House....it was just a big hill with 2 waterslides coming down it. I almost drowned there...and I remember some kid did...he got caught in the iron grade where the water drained to the side. Anyhoo, it just seemed to disappear, I can't remember exactly which lot it was on in that area. Very few people seem to remember it and it is almost never mentioned. But I remember it being very popular back in the day.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:16 AM

472 posts, read 1,512,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Does anyone remember Super Slide?...the mini water park next to San Francisco Steak House....it was just a big hill with 2 waterslides coming down it. I almost drowned there...and I remember some kid did...he got caught in the iron grade where the water drained to the side. Anyhoo, it just seemed to disappear, I can't remember exactly which lot it was on in that area. Very few people seem to remember it and it is almost never mentioned. But I remember it being very popular back in the day.
Yes I remember the slides and I remember that kid drowning but I always thought that place was somewhere on 35 like where BAMC is. I was in elementary school back then so I guess I was wrong unless there was another one. Splashtown was opened not too long after that place closed down. I wonder if the same people who opened Splashtown ran that place.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:20 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,924,759 times
Default Super Slide

I am all but certain it was new San Francisco Steak house, I can remember picking up Whopper Burgers (present day Arbys across from Tom Benson)....on the way home.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:22 AM

9 posts, read 25,668 times
I know this isn't exactly SA history, but does anyone remember when KONO 101 would play good oldies like Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, and Buddy Holly, etc.? What happened to that good 50's rock n' roll on KONO? They are more 70's now than anything else.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:29 AM
tcs

217 posts, read 689,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Didn't the Dairy Queen get torn down to build the Super Slide. I remember the mountain being there and the day the kid drowned.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:51 AM

472 posts, read 1,512,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs22 View Post
I know this isn't exactly SA history, but does anyone remember when KONO 101 would play good oldies like Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, and Buddy Holly, etc.? What happened to that good 50's rock n' roll on KONO? They are more 70's now than anything else.
I think they move up in decades. In the 70s and 80s they played stuff from the 50s and 60s and now they play stuff from the 70s and so on.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:23 AM

2,820 posts, read 3,888,704 times
Check this out:

The mall that James Rouse built, as it was configured in 1960 (See Picture).

Mall History:
NORTH STAR MALL
San Pedro Avenue and West Rector Road
San Antonio, Texas

San Antonio was one of the first American cities to have 2 fully-enclosed shopping centers. WONDERLAND SHOPPING CITY and NORTH STAR MALL both opened in 1960.

Maryland's Community Research and Development Corporation built NORTH STAR MALL. The company, headed by James Rouse, developed several of America's early mall-type centers [see Baltimore's HARUNDALE MALL and Louisville's THE MALL, January 2007 archive and CHARLOTTETOWN MALL, November 2006 archive].

NORTH STAR MALL occupied a 53.9 acre tract, 9 miles north of downtown San Antonio, which was adjacent to a newly-completed stretch of the Loop 13 Expressway (later known as Loop I-410/John Connally Loop). The grand opening of the shopping mall was held September 23, 1960. At the time, it encompassed 250,000 square feet and housed 53 stores and services.

The primary anchor was a San Antonio-based Wolff and Marx department store. There was also an H-E-B (Howard E. Butt) supermarket, Walgreen Drug, Guarantee Shoe Store, Mr. Dunderbach's Deli, Pants Parlor apparel and La Fuente Restaurant.

An eastward expansion, completed in 1963, added a 94,000 square foot, San Antonio-based, Frost Brothers department store, and several new retailers.

In December 1964, the outparcel North Star Cinema II was completed, which was one of the first twin cinemas in the United States. 2 parking decks were also dedicated in 1965. The first was built in the north central parking lot, the second, in the southeast.

CENTRAL PARK MALL became NORTH STAR MALL's primary retail competitor in 1968. The new mall was built next door, directly across San Pedro Avenue.

A second eastward expansion of NORTH STAR MALL was completed in 1970. The old Wolff and Marx store was razed, with the shopping center being extended to a 204,000 square foot, San Antonio-based Joske's. The existing twin cinema was also incorporated into the enclosed mall at this time.

The next renovation of the complex took place in 1981, when the H-E-B supermarket and Walgreen Drug -on the west end of the mall- were razed and replaced with a 200,000 square foot, Houston-based, Foley's.

Moreover, in 1982, an underground arcade area was added at the center of the complex, beneath a north entrance. This arcade included a music store, record store and Oshman's Sporting Goods. A third parking garage (at the northeast corner of the mall) was completed in 1983.

The fourth addition to NORTH STAR MALL came inline in 1986. A 178,000 square foot Marshall Field's was built, along with a 104,000 square foot Saks Fifth Avenue. Both stores were situated at the end of newly-constructed, 2-level concourses, with the Marshall Field's wing including a 14 bay food court.

2 new parking structures were built, as well. The first at the northwest corner, the second at the southwest. Moreover, the Foley's store was expanded to 250,000 square feet, with a northward extension. With these additions in place, the mall encompassed 1,260,000 leasable square feet.

Several anchor store changes occurred over the ensuing years. Joske's was rebranded as a Dillard's in 1987. 2 years later, Frost Brothers was liquidated. Its former store space became a Mervyn's in 1992. 1997 brought the shuttering of Marshall Fields, which reopened as a Macy's in the same year.

Chicago-based General Growth Properties purchased the entire Rouse Company in 2004, and assumed ownership of NORTH STAR MALL. 2 years later, they instituted a major refurbishment of the center, which continues to this day.

During this project, the original Macy's relocated into the former Foley's, which closed as a result of the May/Federated merger of 2005. Also, in mid-2007, J.C. Penney will open a new store in the old Marshall Fields/Macy's location.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-02_north-star-plan_1960.jpg  

Old 09-14-2007, 12:40 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,789 posts, read 6,877,148 times
Default Guess this is a good time to post the North Star Pic again...

Looking west circa 1963/1964

Old 09-14-2007, 01:48 PM

2,820 posts, read 3,888,704 times
I found out that James Rouse, the guy who built North Star mall, was also the guy who originally coined the phrase "Mall" for an enclosed shopping center. Some websites even claim that he invented or at least pioneered the enclosed shopping space (mall) concept.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:03 PM

91 posts, read 242,007 times
Default Super Slide/More on North Star Mall

Super Slide was back there off of Gulfdale and Isom, near the present day SATCU branch, etc. When the kid was killed there (he died a HORRIBLE death, not from drowning) the place never, ever recovered, closed down and was demolished to where absolutely NO trace of it exists now. I've been back there and couldn't figure out exactly where it was; for all I know the expansion of 281 and the merge of 281/San Pedro could have swallowed up that property. The remains of the old Super Slide in Austin do still exist - as you come into Austin from the south on I-35, look for the XXX video store to your right on a hill above the freeway. Look down from the store and the tube chutes are still in the weeds and trees and can be seen from the freeway.

GWhopper will have his reputation added to shortly after I finish this. That's a nice summary of how North Star has evolved since 1960. However, I do not remember the north central parking deck - only the southeast one which is still there at Rector and McCullough. Also, I was unaware the old Wolff & Marx had been torn down - I have always been of the belief that they moved down to the new store, were bought by Joske's and the rest is history. After Wolff & Marx moved was when Rhodes took that space. Interestingly, the old Terrazzo tile floor from Rhodes, et al was visible during the remodeling of that area of the mall last year.

Bonus - anyone remember the brand of gas sold at that filling station in the photo at San Pedro and Rector? The photo was taken just before the old A-frame Whataburger was built on McCullough just south of Rector.

Macgrad89
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio