Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2007, 07:59 AM

305 posts, read 1,612,276 times

Advertisements

"Irnag, that neighborhood is called Dreamhill Estates, not Dreamland Oaks..not sure what I was thinking. It's the older area with the larger lots/homes off Babcock just south of Wurbach. It's surrounded by Glenoaks but it's like an island where it's zoned to Marshall while Glenoaks is zoned to Holmes."

940, are you talking about the homes on Beverly Mae St.? The ones behind Cha-Chas?

I was thinking last night that I had an older cousin that lived in Glenoaks and did attend Marshall. He would have been there @ 1970. I remember going to Marshall as a small child to see him in 'Lil Abner' play at Marshall. But his younger brothers and sisters all attended Holmes. So if I had to guess, I would say in the early 70's they must have changed the boundaries at least in respect to Glenoaks.

Dementia, when were these clubs in operation? I remember going to a punk club on San Pedro @1983 or so but had no idea what the name was. It, from what I remember kind of fits the DMZ description.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:32 AM

905 posts, read 2,946,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dementia_Impaled View Post
The Three Bears must have been either before we moved here ('76-'77), or we just never went. I do remember the Sommer's drugstore at McCrelles, and the fountain that was in the middle of the mall. I always dreaded when my mom would drag my brother & I to JCPenney's; Ward's I didn't mind because we could always convince her to get us something to eat .
The Three Bears was in the late 60's, I think, and it didn't last very long, maybe 2 years. Either McDonald's moved in and ran them out or the franchise just died. I believe the building was located just behind where the McDonalds is on Southcross.

Quote:
There was a First Mate at the corner of Goliad & Pecan Valley for the longest time; it looked like either a shrimp boat or a small tug at dock, with rope tied around posts sticking up from small hills of concrete.
Yep, I remembered it as being like a shrimp boat.

Quote:
I've been digging for any info on the waterslide park that was either on 281N or 35N; a kid was sucked into the return pump and drowned, iirc.
The one on 35N is called Splash Town. I don't recall if it had a different name in the past, but I do remember the kid being sucked into the return pump.

Quote:
My dad worked for KBUC during the 70s (Jim Shannon), and started working for KENS when it was downtown. KBUC scared the chit out of me when we'd go see my dad at night; there were big, fugly dogs running around the lot, and we'd scamper over to the window to wave at him in the booth, then run like hell back to the car.
LOL! I remember your dad on the radio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs210 View Post
Does anyone remember the Godfather of Rock~n~Roll Joe Anthony of KISS FM? Or Rick the Stick or LL Cool Hayden of B 94 FM? Or any Public Access Shows like "The Worst Show"? Or after Saturday Night Live how they would broadast live from The Hip Bone or Club Miami nightclubs? And on Saturday Mornings the Teens had their own dance show that took place at some park? Or when Fiesta took place at Hemisphair Park - La Semana? I moved to SA in '87 so that's how far back I can go.
I do remember the DJ's. I stumbled across "The Worst Show" one night and found it to be extremely weird. "La Semana Alegre" was the name of the event during Fiesta that took place at Hemisfair Park. I remember it being cancelled in the mid 90's due to excessive violence that took place.

Shifting gears, Rodeo is coming up. Does anyone remember getting the tickets to go to the grounds at school? I think you could get in for fifty cents. We only went to the rodeo once because my mom wanted to see George Jones and Tammy Wynette. That was a real struggle to sit through back then! We used to go to the grounds every year, though. I didn't like the rides, but I loved the funhouse. We used to take about $5-$10 with us and that would last all night. Before we left, we'd each get a big cotton candy and enjoy it on the ride home.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:43 AM

305 posts, read 1,612,276 times
"I've been digging for any info on the waterslide park that was either on 281N or 35N; a kid was sucked into the return pump and drowned, iirc."

If that is the incident I'm thinking of, it would have occurred between 1978-80. And I think the kid's last name was Hayden. I also think he had a disablilty which contributed to the accident. My memory is hazy around the incident, but I believe his older brother was at Holmes the same time I was. I don't know if this helps or not.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:11 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,760,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dementia_Impaled View Post
I've been digging for any info on the waterslide park that was either on 281N or 35N; a kid was sucked into the return pump and drowned, iirc.
It was the corner of San Pedro and 281. I believe it was called Super Slide and the accident happened summer 1979. A kid tried to hide behind a gate in the water where the suction pump was, so that he could go back out when his specific wristband color was reactivated, without having to pay again. I think he was torn apart, rather than drowned.

I'm not certain but I believe there is an office building on the site now, right on the corner. The area has changed because 281 did not used to merge with San Pedro at that point. But the land where the office building is seems like it could have been the same spot.

Last edited by OzzyRules; 01-31-2007 at 11:21 AM..

Old 01-31-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs210 View Post
Does anyone remember the Godfather of Rock~n~Roll Joe Anthony of KISS FM? Or Rick the Stick or LL Cool Hayden of B 94 FM? Or any Public Access Shows like "The Worst Show"? Or after Saturday Night Live how they would broadast live from The Hip Bone or Club Miami nightclubs? And on Saturday Mornings the Teens had their own dance show that took place at some park? Or when Fiesta took place at Hemisphair Park - La Semana? I moved to SA in '87 so that's how far back I can go.
I remember Joe Anthony. Supposedly he discovered some major bands and gave them their first airplay.

I liked the Worst Show and another one called the Hondo Show, which may still be on the air believe it or not.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:19 AM

1,241 posts, read 4,318,980 times
I don't think it would have been Splashtown then. I don't remember it being that old a place. The first and possibly second year it was opened it was called Waterpark USA. I remember the jingle, “Waterpark USA totally awesome, Waterpark USA”. Not much to it..

Old 01-31-2007, 11:36 AM

I only remember Super Slide being open maybe just one summer. They must have closed down immediately after the accident which happened at the end of the summer. All it was was like a mountain with a center walkway up to the top, and two slides on each side going down (four total). You would pay at the gate and they gave you a colored wristband and you would wait behind a barrier for your time to come up. Then they let people into the park in groups of about ten or more, and your wristband was active for about 30 minutes.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:50 AM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,124,086 times
I remember that Ozzy..and I remember hearing about the incident years ago. It made me think twice about going to those places with my buddies!

Speaking of San Pedro made me think of an old hotel/motel that used to be located on the NE corner of San Pedro at 410. Straight east from the old SACU pyramid building. Wasn't it a Ramada Inn or something similar and it had a lot of acreage and landscaping but the hotel itself was further back and maybe only about 2 stories high. I remember it being a very long building with a dark exterior. I believe their outdoor signs always announced a convention or meeting place for organizations like the VFW or Lions Club, etc.

I believe it's now another strip shopping center facing 410 and North Star.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:58 AM

Yes. There was a Ramada Inn there. Even though the new shopping center with Barnes & Noble and Oshman's hasn't been there very long, I forgot about it. The new center must be around ten years old because the first Barnes and Noble I remember was 1996 on I10. The Ramada Inn was the only thing in the middle of that whole area.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:58 AM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,124,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Shifting gears, Rodeo is coming up. Does anyone remember getting the tickets to go to the grounds at school? I think you could get in for fifty cents. We only went to the rodeo once because my mom wanted to see George Jones and Tammy Wynette. That was a real struggle to sit through back then! We used to go to the grounds every year, though. I didn't like the rides, but I loved the funhouse. We used to take about $5-$10 with us and that would last all night. Before we left, we'd each get a big cotton candy and enjoy it on the ride home.
I seem to remember being able to get those Rodeo discounted tickets at Marshall b/c there was a huge agriculture program (AG) there at the time I attended. We were known as a "kicker" school because a lot of the students came from rural areas and ranches further up Bandera Rd and I-10 into the hill country and many wore Wrangler jeans and cowboy boots. I hear the AG distinction is no longer valid and it has now moved to newer O'Connor High because it now has the rural areas further north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio