Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2007, 12:50 PM

3 posts, read 10,913 times

Advertisements

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/members/starsforever-169354.html"]starsforever[/URL]
1 posts, read 0 times
http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...tion_green.gif

http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif Looking for section 8 -2 bedroom house Pet Friend
On disability(have to move need family support from medical needs.Excellent tentant!
I am looking at these areas
1.San Angelo
2.Sweetwater
3 Albilene
4 Terrall Hills
5 Olomos Park
6 Galveston
7 Victoria

If anyone has a lead or is a SECTION 8 landlord working through San Antonio Housing Autority.
Please contact me.
I'm a very good tentant reponsible for my child and pet.starting the process now.
THANKS
Star

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/reputation.php?p=1623702&do=quickreputation"][+] Rate this post positively[/URL]

Old 10-01-2007, 02:06 PM

28 posts, read 148,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I'm sure the days of mile long lines going into McAllister park on Sundays has already been addressed earlier in this thread. After they passed the law requiring liability insurance and started doing checks, a lot of people would park and walk in. I used to drive into the Blossom Park subdivision and moto across the dry creek bed and come in that way. If you were ever there and saw a white Chevy Monza with people bouncing the front end until finally the engine was gunned and it popped a wheelie, that was me. I dropped a 327 in that thing and sure had a lot of fun.

*LOL*

I never cruised McAllister park, but have some fond memories of cruising Brackenridge Park on Sundays in the early to mid 80's. What a blast! I used to drive a Red 1976 Porcche 914, always had the top off and never got out of first gear moving at 2 mph.

Those were the days!

Old 10-01-2007, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,415 times
Default I Remember Edge Falls

Edge Falls was and technically is on the Guadalupe River and is still referred to on maps of the area. I remember going cliff diving up there during my last coupler of years of high school. I had a friend who broke his neck there, however, so we were a little careful after that, but continued to go. Went to Alabama to go tho college, and had not thought about it again until I saw your post.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:34 PM

34 posts, read 106,867 times
how about the bridge in new branfules we use to jump off it in the river below camp wakie ( not sure how you spell it ) use to go up there every sunday in the summer ....
gas was cheep and no traffic too speak of
and skinky falls before the tube chute jump out of the current or be pulled down the river and have to walk all the way back up

Old 10-01-2007, 04:44 PM

3,672 posts, read 10,568,338 times
I think you are talking about Camp Warneke. I understand Schlitterbahn bought that area and it is part of the park now. I used to love tubing down Stinky Falls, even when the water was so low that my hind end would drag the concrete ramp on the way down. I was always afraid I would end up getting out of the river with two big holes where my trunk bottoms used to be.

The backflow at the dam downstream was always fun. I used to try to swim upstream at the dam and discovered my first stationary swimming pool in the middle of that river.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:36 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,400,922 times
I am curious too know where the first whatburger was at also.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:43 AM

3,672 posts, read 10,568,338 times
Can't tell you an address, but the chain started in Corpus Christi. The first one I recall was on the north side of the channel, but it may not have been the actual first location. The first store opened in 1950, my first visit was in 1965.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:46 AM

61 posts, read 256,967 times
Absolutely jumped off that bridge aany of times...other morons would climb up the supports and jump...their sides and under arms would be black for weeks from the impact...jumped into the falls often, and Stinky's we would butt surf through with our beer cans above water...goal was to not splii the beer and then swim one handed like hell to the right or the river would carry you to the left and you would get the hell beat out of you on the rocks.

Got to be I went to church with my jean cutoffs and tank shirt on underneath, beer chiiling in the trunk...now THATS German NE Bexar/Guad/Comal for ya!

Old 10-02-2007, 11:36 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,562,032 times
Stinky Falls is one of my best memories from my teenage years. We used to hitch hike up there from the SE side before we had cars. I believe the real name of it back then was Dittlingers Dam. It was a great place before they made it into a theme park. I remember getting a ticket up there for minor in possesion of beer. The officer took our beer and our ice chest and wrote us a ticket each. Me an my buddy snuck up there to pay the tickets before our parents found out. We looked for the address of the justice of the peace that was on the ticket but the address was in a residential nieghborhood. We went up and knocked on the door and asked if the justice of the peace was in. The man said "No he went fish'in today but I'm his Dad, can I help you?" We paid our fine to him and I asked about my ice chest. His Dad asked for a description of the ice chest and when I gave it to him he said. "Oh yeah, that's the one he took fish'in". When I look back at that and then look at things now, I don't think New Baunfels has changed much.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:30 PM

3 posts, read 23,231 times
Default Location of Dibble's Sporting Goods and Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyman37 View Post
(Dad wrote this) I remember san antonio old movie theatres in the 50s. The state theatre on main street , where the admission price was 9 cents . The palace theatre on alamo street, across the street from the Alamo.It had a long corridor that went from alamo street to losoya street ,with mirrors on both sides.so you would be infinitely mirrored. There was 2 very small theatres on houston street, they would charge a nickel, to see B western movies called the O brien ,and across the street the Joy. There was a Tony's mirror shine on the same block.The texas theatre on houston, and i believe the fassad is still in tact.ON alamo street 1 block south of houston, a store named H.L greens. Several clothing stores on Houston street in the downtown area where anne landers. three sisters. woolworth, Frost, Charles Mens wear, Pincus, and a store on Houston between main and St.mary's on the south side of a street, a clothing store, worked there in 65, can't remember the name. Does anyone remember this? In the mid 50s was a novelty store on commerce, not sure of last name,,the first name was Nick,,might be Nick teing. run by 4 elderly brothers, Nick, Eddie, ........ That in 1956. Remember playing in a rock and roll band downtown, at a location called the town lounge on commerce near St. Mary's. The first churches chicken was on Market and Alamo, next to a liquor store. Also Rogers Drive In on Main, popular hangout for teens in the 50s and 60s. People congregated there, to visit, hangout , and eat hamburgers. Lots of Mg's and convertibles. Going back even further, on Alamo ,between La Villita and Market, on the west side of the street ,were 2 restaurants. French's Black Cat, and The Owl Cafe. They had thick old style coffee mugs, waiters going in and out of the swinging doors bringing food. Blue plate specials, breakfast specials, made it a very very popular place. Dad used to work at a cleaners across the street, from same Alamo street block, Lobert Cleaners ,close to Paris Hatters. there was a hotel called the 18 hotel, several stories high. A little ways down, on Alamo before St. Mary's was a sporting goods store named Dibbles. Where the Hemispherse is now, the main entrance was Goliad street, going down 4 blocks you would get to a malt shop called the Double Dip. Does anyone remember these place?
My wife is the granddaughter of Mr. L.K. Dibble, the owner of Dibble's on Alamo. It was located at 313 S. Alamo. They sold the store and name in the late 1950s. The current owner moved the store to Jefferson Village on Donaldson and it is still in business today under the name Dibble's Hobbies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio