Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2007, 06:15 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,412,680 times

Advertisements

Passed by Colonies North today and thought about the old handy Andy and Winn's stores, wish the mall part was still open.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:36 PM

49 posts, read 271,104 times
Default Bowen's Mill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Does anybody know where Bowen's Mill used to be? I think this was in Alamo Heights, on the banks of the San Antonio. If anybody has any memories of this place, or knows any information about it and would share it, I would really appreciate it.

Below is an image of Bowen's Island ca. 1874 showing a mill. It is a scan from my copy of A PLACE IN TIME, a collection of photos from the Express-News archives. The book was published by the E-N in 1980 and is long since out of print.

The Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library on the Alamo grounds may turn up more info on this subject if you are really curious.

Now for the picture.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:45 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,135,287 times
'A Place In Time' is a terrific book...I've got a copy of it somewhere too...I'll have to hunt it down and look for this. Thanks!

Old 12-08-2007, 02:17 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,277,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
'A Place In Time' is a terrific book...I've got a copy of it somewhere too...I'll have to hunt it down and look for this. Thanks!
I guess I gotta try and find this book. I'll guess I'll have to hit ebay or used bookstores.

Something else that is gone but not forgotten for me is the Book Den, the little used bookstore behind Maggie's near San Pedro. I found a lot of great out-of-print book finds out there.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:28 AM

Does the book "A Place in Time" mention a village called Avoca? Primo brought this to my attention and now my curiosity has been raised.

This is what I pulled off the Incarnate Word website, which is where the "lost" village of Avoca used to exist.

"The Village of Avoca is a complex of five apartment buildings resting on the edges of the San Antonio River. The complex gained its name from the lost Irish ghost town of Avoca that was established in the same site in the mid-1830s. The founder of the original Avoca Apartments, Willian E. Howth , said the area reminded him of his home -- the famed Vale of Avoca in Wicklow, Ireland."

And also from the same site, but in an area dealing more with the headwaters of the San Antonio river (Thanks Primo!):

“I assume that back in the 1800’s, all of these springs ran all the time,” Mulcahy said. "The area was well-populated, even then; remnants of the old Village of Avoca and its water-powered grist mill, active in the mid-Nineteenth Century, can still be seen west of Miller’s pond, adjacent to the soccer field."

Old 12-08-2007, 10:30 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,412,680 times
I like books that have pictures of the old SA.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I like books that have pictures of the old SA.
Sadly, there are not enough of them.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:14 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,135,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I guess I gotta try and find this book. I'll guess I'll have to hit ebay or used bookstores.
'A Place In Time' is hard to get now but I did find this...

MCLEMORE, DAVID - A Place in Time: A Pictorial View of San Antonio's Past

I'll also try to find my copy to see if it mentions Avoca...or maybe Eily71 can check for you!
I actually have a lot of old San Antonio picture books..I should start scanning pics and putting some of them on here...

Old 12-08-2007, 06:30 PM

49 posts, read 271,104 times
I did a thumb thru of A PLACE IN TIME....no mention of Avoca. This book actually has very little text...just enough to make one curious lol. Finding nothing in the book , I decided to google and found the reference to the apartments which from the way the reference reads, are part of Incarnate Word student housing. Another link led me to the Early San Antonio History thread on this forum and a post by wCat from 22 February 2007.

Quote:
I was in Austin and stopped in the GLO....what a trip! The historian was a sweet elderly lady that couldn't WAIT to show me the real maps in a huge vault. Many of them were original pen and ink survey maps of early county boundarys.

If anyone ever gets to go up there, ask to look at the huge map of Bexar County. It's about 6ft sqare or bigger and is in a huge plat drawer. She showed me a very early map of San Antonio and right above the San Antonio river source, about where Olmos Dam is now was a very small settlement called "Avoca". Supposedly Davy Crockett had a home there for the short time he was in San Antonio. I think "Avoca" is a Scottish word.....I'll have to check on the meaning.
So it sounds as if the lost Irish settlement of Avoca is in the Olmos Basin area and may even be underwater due to the dam. Maybe wCat has more info on this?

There are more stories regarding Davy Crockett and his very short stay in San Antonio. That is what makes a hero of mythical proportions, which Crockett and the other defenders have become. Davy Crockett was in San Antonio not quite a month before the Alamo siege began and he stayed in town.....the areas around LaVillita and San Fernando Cathedral. When I worked at the Alamo as a guide, we actually kept a list of stories concerning Crockett and the other defenders. I wish I had copied it before I left in 1982.

As I said in my post upthread....DRT Library is a wonderful place to immerse yourself in the history of the Alamo, San Antonio and Texas in general. Warning: One path WILL lead to another ! lol

And being the trivia addict I am, I googled the meaning of Avoca...."great estuary", "where the bright waters meet" "where the river meets the bay/sea" or "the meeting of waters". There is no fact too obscure, no bit of trivia too small, lol.

Anyway, hope wCat's post helped.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,697 times
I Lived Several Blocks From Armands. Mom Used To Send Me Up There To Get Bread And Milk. There Was A Place Called Pops Just Up The Street (a Ice House). Copelands, A Seafood Restaurant Was Just Across From GIBSONS. Not Sure Why I Remember The Area So Well, But I Want To Longfellow And Walked To Stranges Party House. Seem To Recall That He Served Bbq.
Just To Let You Know This Area Is Very Rough Now. I Don't Remember It Being That Way Before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio