Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2007, 09:00 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin522 View Post
I have a question that someone said would be best asked here...

There is a large wooded area across the street from Ingram Park mall and next to some apartments off the road Timberhill.. It's used as a dumping ground(which it shouldnt be)... Alot of trucks land up getting stuck in the mud out there as well...
Anyways...

There is some sort of building ruins hidden there in the woods and I was curious if anyone knows what used to be out there. I asked some Park Police who were patroling the area what it was and they said they thought it may once of been a truck
stop where they loaded trucks with gravel or something...

What is left is large pieces of foundation... concrete stairs which lead to the lower part where there is a larger building which appears to have been the place where trucks would pull in underneith...

I have also heard stories that it was a limestone mill. I am more or less curious when it was active and when it ceased it's operations.. From the looks of the place it seems it has been more than 15 years since it was last used...

Does anyone have any information what this place was? A history on it? It'd be appreciated.

Ty...
kenshin522,
It's funny, I think I am the one who mentioned you should try your question here, and now through searching for more info on Wolfe's Inn, I think I accidentally found your answer. It's all in the name of the street. Hudson Ingram, who was born in 1901 and died just recently in 1991, along with his brothers founded the Acme Wire and Iron Works. They produced, among other things, high quality decorative iron works that still exists today in the homes of Alamo Heights, Olmos Park, Monte Vista and Terrell Hills. It appears that the ruins you and others remember are the remains of the Iron Works. He donated the land to the city and the city, in turn, named Ingram Road after him.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:04 PM

Some of who post here also have also posted on the thread regarding the Secret School in the Olmos Basin. Well, I found some information on the house with an observatory on it and will post it on that thread in few minutes.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:47 PM

61 posts, read 257,867 times
GWhop, my friend and former co-worker, my buddy will hook you up on Legs, Moxy, Budgie, Mahogany Rush, old JP, and if you're REAL nice, some Ox Knozz, Too Smooth and Haioka (you'll have to get the Blood Rock on your own!) Next thing you'll want is some UFO!

Old 12-15-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munerider View Post
GWhop, my friend and former co-worker, my buddy will hook you up on Legs, Moxy, Budgie, Mahogany Rush, old JP, and if you're REAL nice, some Ox Knozz, Too Smooth and Haioka (you'll have to get the Blood Rock on your own!) Next thing you'll want is some UFO!
That is awesome!!!! Thanks! I think it might be time for a true San Antonio Retro party!

Old 12-15-2007, 10:43 PM

This has to be worth some reputation points!

Using what I have learned and posted above, attached is the lay out of the area as it existed when Wolfe's Inn still existed.

My quest isn't over, I still don't know who Worthy Wolfe was. If anybody has any information on this person, I would much appreciate it.

Notice the Nine Mile Hill label, as Primo posted earlier was the name of this area.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-wolfes-inn-area2.jpg  

Last edited by GWhopper; 12-15-2007 at 11:08 PM..

Old 12-15-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
putation points!

Using what I have learned and posted above, attached is the lay out of the area as it existed when Wolfe's Inn still existed.

My quest isn't over, I still don't know who Worthy Wolfe was. If anybody has any information on this person, I would much appreciate it.

Notice the Nine Mile Hill label, as Primo posted earlier was the name of this area.
Actually, the addresses presented here are wrong. The layout is correct, but I was mistaken about the addresses. I apologize to the forum. I tried deleting the post, but the system wouldn't let me.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
There are also some old ruins still standing the present day Ventana Apartments are...across from the Flying Saucer. When I was young..that whole area was woods and my buddies and I would go exploring after school.

What we found in that area was a small complex of cobble stone buildings. There was what appeared to be the main home which had a basement or cellar (which was filled in with water). The home was about 1500-2000 sq ft. All the wooden timbers used in the ceiling rood, door frames was charred. There was a small rooms size building, and then what still stands today in the Ventana apartments...was a room size 2 story tower. All of this stuff appeared to be very old. Anyone know the history on this one?....I know it is a long shot.
That whole area used to be owned by Joseph Huebner (hence the name of the street near it). He was known as Doc Huebner even though he was a Silversmith and a Jeweler. In 1858 he started to acquire land by the road that bares his name. Eventually, he acquired 850 acres that stretched from the area near the Flying Saucer to Leon Valley. He built his home near where Huebner and Bandera meet, far from the Ventana apartments, so those ruins must have been some kind of support structure. Incidentally, his house was used as a stagecoach stop, and later became known as the "Onion House", because it was sold to a family whose last name was onion. Currently, the city of Leon Valley owns it and is trying to restore it as a historic site.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:49 AM

88 posts, read 286,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munerider View Post
Man, I lived ALL that fine music....... along with the band, Bubble Puppy!

Oz Knozz was baddddddd azz,,, and through years of searching for their music I have come up empty. Would love to get my hands on some of their stuff before I get too damn old.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:43 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I forgot all about Budgie!!!
Does anybody have any of Legs', Moxy's, or Budgie's songs in digital format? I only their albums on cassette tape when I was younger and they are long gone now.

The idea of listening to Moxy on an iPod.......that just seems cool to me.
I still hear "Woman" on KZEP sometimes.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:21 AM

49 posts, read 271,665 times
Default GWhopper

Just echoing my post over on the Secret School thread......You are amazing!!!!! Wolfe's Inn was another one of the intriguing places I wondered about while living in SA.

San Antonio has so many interesting places. Keep up the good work! Thanks so much!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio