Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2007, 04:30 PM

2 posts, read 16,626 times

Advertisements

I saw Oingo Boingo at Daddys too. I went to the Bone Club, andRaw Power. Does any one remember Kiddie City and where it was located?

Old 12-25-2007, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 16,626 times
I remember Project Terror and having to run to the TV set and turn down the volume before that sound came on when they "Project Terror where the Spine chilling and the ???? come together"

Old 12-25-2007, 07:02 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torcherstone View Post
I saw Oingo Boingo at Daddys too. I went to the Bone Club, andRaw Power. Does any one remember Kiddie City and where it was located?
This is from 1971. I believe there was an additional one built in the early 80's on on 35 & walzem..across from Winsor Park Mall
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-kiddie_city.jpg  

Old 12-25-2007, 09:34 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,292,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
This is from 1971. I believe there was an additional one built in the early 80's on on 35 & walzem..across from Winsor Park Mall
OMG! I had a Baby Bat kite! 2 or 3 of them actually. After they would get damaged, my dad would just buy me the same kite. I was real young at the time and would get all emotional every time the thing would break. It was made of these real cheap plastic struts that you snapped together, then the kite itself was made of the same material I later realized was the same plastic used in plastic garbage bags. And not the real heavy-duty kind either. It was just a big black delta-shaped kite with large, blood shot eyes on the wings, next the "Nose", the triangular flap that connected to the kite string. My dad actually hooked mine onto the end of a fishing reel and the lower half of a two-piece rod. In that manner, we could make the kit fly so high (due to the long fishing line) that it was only a spec in the sky. This was definitely between 1974 and 1978, so they must have sold these through out the 70s. We used to buy ours at the HEB on Wurzbach. It was like an official sign of spring or summer. They would be placed in these huge circular bins, a little like large umbrella cans, at the entrance of the toy aisle. Of course, you couldn't buy them on Sundays due to the blue laws.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:16 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
Anyone know when the kiddie city stores closed in SA?

Old 12-26-2007, 04:23 PM

I am fairly sure it was between 1983 and 1985. I remember going their once to buy Return of the Jedi toys.

I also found this on wiki:
"After the sale of its train product lines, Lionel Corporation became a holding company that specialized in toy stores. By the early 1980s, Lionel operated some 150 stores[8], under the names Lionel Kiddie City, Lionel Playworld, Lionel Toy Warehouse, and Lionel Toy Town. For a time it was the second-largest toy store chain in the United States. Lionel ran into financial trouble during the early 1980s recession and filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in February 1982. After reducing itself in size to 55 stores, it emerged from bankruptcy in September 1985.
By 1991, the chain grew to 100 stores and was the fourth-largest toy retailer in the country, but once again ran into trouble due to a combination of factors. In 1989 the Robert I. Toussie L.P., a partnership of several retail executives, attempted to buy the company. Lionel resisted, and the fight drained the company of cash. Meanwhile, non-specialty discount stores expanded their toy sections and undercut the prices of specialty toy chains.[9] Additionally, Lionel found it difficult to compete on price with the larger Toys R Us, and the chain attempted to expand too rapidly in a weakened economy.[10] After several successive unprofitable quarters, it filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on June 14, 1991. In 1992 Lionel attempted to reverse its fortunes by merging with the bankrupt Child World, the United States' #3 toy retailer, but was unable to secure financing.[11] By February 1993 Lionel had closed all but 29 stores in six states, concentrating on the markets of Philadelphia, Central New Jersey, Baltimore, Washington, D.C., Cleveland, and South Florida.[12] Unable reach an agreement for reorganization with its creditors, on June 2, 1993, Lionel announced its intention to liquidate all of its stores and go out of business[2]."

Old 12-26-2007, 05:45 PM

91 posts, read 323,600 times
Default Kiddie City...

The Kiddie City ad is an interesting find as there's no mention of the store in Central Park Mall. I wonder if the buildings for the two other locations (Bandera/Cincinnati and Pleasanton Rd) still exist. The one on 410 near McCullough does not as it was torn down around the same time as the old San Antonio Sports Palace next door. Kiddie City and the Sports Palace were at the back of the lot behind the present-day Texas Land & Cattle and Pappadeaux on 410. Kiddie City closed up on 410 somewhere around 1982-1983 and the building became the Boston Sea Party restaurant for a short time before demolition.

The store at 35/Walzem was a Kiddie City for a VERY short time before Lionel PlayWorld came along. That name stuck for a few years before the name changed again, this time to Fun City Toys. Fun City closed (probably between 1985-1987) and the building sat vacant for a while. BizMart moved into San Antonio and they are now part of OfficeMax which is there today.

Here's a request for Primo or GWhopper: find a photo of the Four Seasons fountain in the center of Central Park Mall (before the carousel was placed on top of it...) That was probably the most impressive mall fountain in San Antonio for many years.

Macgrad89

Old 12-26-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post
The Kiddie City ad is an interesting find as there's no mention of the store in Central Park Mall. I wonder if the buildings for the two other locations (Bandera/Cincinnati and Pleasanton Rd) still exist. The one on 410 near McCullough does not as it was torn down around the same time as the old San Antonio Sports Palace next door. Kiddie City and the Sports Palace were at the back of the lot behind the present-day Texas Land & Cattle and Pappadeaux on 410. Kiddie City closed up on 410 somewhere around 1982-1983 and the building became the Boston Sea Party restaurant for a short time before demolition.

The store at 35/Walzem was a Kiddie City for a VERY short time before Lionel PlayWorld came along. That name stuck for a few years before the name changed again, this time to Fun City Toys. Fun City closed (probably between 1985-1987) and the building sat vacant for a while. BizMart moved into San Antonio and they are now part of OfficeMax which is there today.

Here's a request for Primo or GWhopper: find a photo of the Four Seasons fountain in the center of Central Park Mall (before the carousel was placed on top of it...) That was probably the most impressive mall fountain in San Antonio for many years.

Macgrad89
It's not a great image, but I think this is the fountain you are talking about. I remember the stone-like horses that used to be placed around there.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-cp-fountains.jpg  

Old 12-26-2007, 07:25 PM

Earlier on this thread, people mentioned remembering Mickey Mantle's restaurant in Central Park Mall.

Here is an ad for it:

Coincidentally, I ate at the new Kirby's steak house near stone oak. On their menu they list the locations of all their restaurants. Two of the restaurants where called Mickey Mantle's. I am not sure of the relationship yet, but will find out.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-mickey-mantles.jpg  

Old 12-26-2007, 07:28 PM

Macgrad89,

I think I posted the wrong fountain ealier. Is this it?
Again, I apologize for the poor quality of photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-bigfountain.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio