Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2008, 12:59 AM

91 posts, read 322,413 times

Advertisements

Bluebonnet Mom -

My wife worked at Southern Music in the early 90s after she graduated from college and during nursing school. At that time they were still down on Broadway "at the bend" in a building which was a car dealership years and years ago and is now an art gallery. The current location on Austin Hwy is deceptive as the entrance is upstairs but all the sheet music, etc. is downstairs. Most of the staff are long-timers who can find most anything you need in a flash. My wife took me there one day and there is music that has sat on the shelves for DECADES waiting to be purchased and is still brand new.

Macgrad89

Old 01-07-2008, 01:21 AM

2 posts, read 8,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post
Bluebonnet Mom - My wife worked at Southern Music in the early 90s after she graduated from college and during nursing school. At that time they were still down on Broadway "at the bend" in a building which was a car dealership years and years ago and is now an art gallery. The current location on Austin Hwy is deceptive as the entrance is upstairs but all the sheet music, etc. is downstairs. Most of the staff are long-timers who can find most anything you need in a flash. My wife took me there one day and there is music that has sat on the shelves for DECADES waiting to be purchased and is still brand new. Macgrad89
At one point, Southern Music Co. was the single largest retail supplier of sheet music in the country...

Old 01-07-2008, 08:02 AM

15 posts, read 48,472 times
Default Colonies North

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Bluebonnet Mom, You are a most welcome addition to this thread. i have so many questions to ask you based upon your post.

I grew up in Colonies North proper and remember hearing, almost as a ghost story, about the CN rapist. In fact the son of a neighbor several houses down from where I lived was arrested for "tom peeping", and was thought for awhile that he was the rapist. He wasn't. He was just a voyeur, a stupid kid. And we were younger, stupider kids at the time playing hide and seek in the middle of the night with BB guns. We never knew how close to something evil we came near.
Thanks for the warm welcome GWhopper. I feel lucky to have found this thread. Any questions welcome although I think you have a better grasp of the past than I do. Beginning to wonder if early senility is setting in.

The CN rapist changed my Mom's perspective a great deal. During and after that time, she was a lot more protective and put a bit of a damper on my neighborhood wanderings. It is funny that he was never caught and just stopped. We always wondered if he died, moved or what.

The story that haunted Mom was the one where a woman came home to put up her groceries and felt a hand on her shoulder and a deep voice that said "Let me help you put those away." Don't know if that's true or not but that's the one that circulated in our group.

Even so, Colonies North was a great place to live. We were on a street called Northmoor which I believe intersects Powhattan.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:05 AM

15 posts, read 48,472 times
Default Southern Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post
Bluebonnet Mom -

My wife worked at Southern Music in the early 90s after she graduated from college and during nursing school. At that time they were still down on Broadway "at the bend" in a building which was a car dealership years and years ago and is now an art gallery. The current location on Austin Hwy is deceptive as the entrance is upstairs but all the sheet music, etc. is downstairs. Most of the staff are long-timers who can find most anything you need in a flash. My wife took me there one day and there is music that has sat on the shelves for DECADES waiting to be purchased and is still brand new.

Macgrad89
You've made my day, Macgrad89. I thought that place was gone forever. Loved the smell of all that old paper.

This will be one of my GBNF stops when I am in town this spring!

Old 01-07-2008, 11:52 AM

44 posts, read 191,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideRose View Post

Where was Burgundy Woods, exactly?

There was a little Mexican food restaurant on Hackberry, I think? Best cheese enchiladas around --- with the white Mexican cheese and fresh chopped onions.
If memory serves, Burgundy Woods was on the 410 access road, near Broadway. Popular spot in the early disco days...I hear "A Fifth of Beethoven" for the first time there! I think a lot of us that were 18 or 19 at the time frequented that place.

Could the Mexican food place have been Brown's? They're still around...

Old 01-07-2008, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,527 times
WoW
I don't know how I stumbled across this forum. I am from San Antonio but now I live in NC. I grew up on the NE side near Harry Wurzbach.

I remember Burgandy Woods. It was near Star Crest right?

Old 01-07-2008, 04:28 PM

139 posts, read 502,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTish View Post
WoW
I don't know how I stumbled across this forum. I am from San Antonio but now I live in NC. I grew up on the NE side near Harry Wurzbach.

I remember Burgandy Woods. It was near Star Crest right?

Browns was, is? Great. It was close to the Little Red Barn. HHW

Old 01-07-2008, 05:59 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,131,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
Attachment 12613

Attachment 12614

Finally, I have PROOF that the Dinos were at Wonderland! As you can clearly see in the second photo, I am pointing to the evidence.

Unfortunately by posting these photos, I am endangered of getting visits from the fashion police. Could my pants ride any higher? It'll be another 20 years before the ride that high again.
Nice pics, irnag...thanks for sharing...I'm sure my parents have something like that hidden away too so no worries!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebonnet Mom View Post
I am going to apologize if these have been duplicated in another post. 237 pages is a lot to digest and I read pretty quickly to catch up. If these aren't dupes, enjoy!

I am looking for something (anything!) similar for Central Park Mall. Would love it if anyone has ANYTHING to share.
I love those Bluebonnet Mom...my sister worked at Baker's Shoes next to Montgomery Ward in the mid 70s and I remember being at Wonderland as a kid waiting for her to get off work. Kiddie City, Winn's and the Baskin Robbins always kept me occupied though!

Old 01-07-2008, 06:44 PM

3 posts, read 8,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicajun View Post
If this is the same place I'm thinking it is I remember my brother going to some Halloween party there circa 1980. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe at the time one was able to rent out the place for an event such as this. Before anything was built on the surrounding area's land the mansion was pretty much up on that slightly inclining hill and surrounded by trees. You could see it from the I-10 freeway. I recall the then narrow road that is now in between the San Antonio Credit Union and the bloodbank went straight up to the house and it had a sign that swung from a pole that was right where the road began at the freeway access road. Back in the late 80's(?) or so there was a fire at the mansion where it remained standing for a little while longer till it was finally torn down. Anybody know more about this place?
I remember the mansion located just past the South Texas Blood Center. My friend and I worked the Campus Life Haunted House in the mansion in October 1980 or 1981. People had to park by the credit union and walk up the road I believe. Before that they would set up the haunted house in a large tent in the back parking lot of Wonderland Mall , just south of the Wonder Theater. That is also that location of the giant slide.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:58 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,681,669 times
Default CPM Map!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebonnet Mom View Post
I am looking for something (anything!) similar for Central Park Mall. Would love it if anyone has ANYTHING to share.
Ask and you shall receive. Sorry it took a while to find. This is from March 1968
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-cpm_map_68.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio