Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2008, 06:47 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,683,609 times

Advertisements

I went into Central Park mall fairly regularly up until it closed. My office was near there and they had the little mini Post office in there that i would need to use. I would often go walk around there just to check things out. I have to admit it was very depressing. I remember one cool shop right before the end...it was like a hologram art shop and I thing they sold things that glowed in the dark. It was kinda like a head shop without any of the psuedo illegal stuff.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:04 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,412,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Two friends of mine had stores in the ninties. Ron Sodders, of New Braunfels, had a rock shop in CPM and the other friend ran a store with newspapers and magazines, photos of movie stars. This guy started out with a kiosk in the center of the mall and then management talked him into leasing a store. They made him a good deal. GPM was the actual owner of the mall.
If I recall the memories store was were the old B Dalton bookstore was if I am correct, wow over 5 yrs since the mall closed. I too went there quite a bit towards the end and it was sad to see it die slowly. I always liked the Luby's there at CPM with the pic of San Antonio.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:23 AM

305 posts, read 1,614,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I went into Central Park mall fairly regularly up until it closed. My office was near there and they had the little mini Post office in there that i would need to use. I would often go walk around there just to check things out. I have to admit it was very depressing. I remember one cool shop right before the end...it was like a hologram art shop and I thing they sold things that glowed in the dark. It was kinda like a head shop without any of the psuedo illegal stuff.

Was the Post Office a little wooden shotgun building that looked temporary and there was a little window for the postal clerk to do transactions? That is what I remember, but I'm not sure if I am correct.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:05 AM

5 posts, read 13,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Is that the old location at the corner of West and I-10??? If it is where I am thinking...there once was a chinese/mexican buffet there, I'm thinking itwas it called Wokamole or something silly like that.
This looks more like the location @ 24th and Commerce St., location is still open

Old 01-09-2008, 09:17 AM
tcs

217 posts, read 874,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Primo and I went hiking out to the backside of Elm Creek this weekend, out by the railroad tracks that cross Salado Creek between Huebner and Lockhill-Selma, looking for any more remaining structures of the Algo Differente. We found a few.

(I would like to point out that neither Primo's girlfriend nor my wife would agree to accompany us on this journey. My wife made some cryptic comment about "getting shanked by railroad hobo's". I didn't think she knew what "shanked" meant)

Oddly, she sounded kind of hopeful.
That is S W E E T!!!!!!!!

I had no idea that anything would be left. That would be a great place to do some metal detecting!!!

Thanks for the pix!

Old 01-09-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1313 View Post
I often ate with my grandparents at the GW JR's at the corner of Basse and Blanco. I remember the order counter seemed really high and they kept the meat patties in a metal bin inside some liquid. MMMMMMMMMMMMM..... meat patties in liquid....
Everyone forgets the first store that was located in the old Wolffe & Marx building downtown...........

Old 01-09-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I dont remember any giant chef at 5 Points?
It was in between N. Flores & Laredo St., it's an empty parcel of land now.I worked up N.Flores at Sunshine Laundry, and would pick up the burgers for my Dad and me.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:44 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,683,609 times
Default CPM Post office

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
Was the Post Office a little wooden shotgun building that looked temporary and there was a little window for the postal clerk to do transactions? That is what I remember, but I'm not sure if I am correct.
Yes...it was the smallest most half-a$$ed post office in the world. The P.O. Boxes were rollers and they chained them to the wall. It was in a long vacant hallway that shared a wall with Sears on the second floor, facing 410.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:57 PM

19 posts, read 96,912 times
I think you guys might be thinking of the old Wendys on Bandera Road, just before Wurzbach. Back in the day, you could grab your order then go sit in the caboose and eat. It's now Taquiera Jalisco and the caboose is still there IIRC. I try to avoid Bandera/410 as much as possible these days with the expansion of 410S which, if you're not still in town, is being built above the current lanes of 410. It appears to me that there will be an exit from 410 which will curve onto Bandera Road. I have lived in S.A. since 1980 and have never seen growth like this.....Question that may have been answered already....my wife and I were talking the other day about the area of 281/Bitters when I mentioned a waterpark/slide/tube chutes that I remember seeing when we first moved here. Anyone recall the name or exact location? Was it Bitters/281 or where 281S curves to the airport??? Love this forum and have several pictures that I need to scan from family vacations back in 80-81 at the Zoo. Even a couple up in the skyride, etc.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:35 PM

19 posts, read 96,912 times
I-10/DeZavala
Locke-Hill Elem
Hobby M.S.
Clark H.S. c/o 1990
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio