Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 12:16 PM
tcs

217 posts, read 874,032 times

Advertisements

We had field trips at Leon Valley Elem and GlenOaks Elem to Coca-Cola, Judson Candy (and they told us that at anytime on the tour we could just reach in a take a piece of candy), the place where they made Eskimo Pies just down Fred Rd from Cool Crest, Butter Krust of course, San Antonio Light (I think), KENS TV at the old studio where Capt Gus was, San Antonio Zoo (what were the monkeys doing Mrs Akin?), Whitte Museum and the Burns Family dairy around Leon Valley in 1961 or so. Had ice cold milk with all the milk fat and OREO's after that one. It was fun being a kid in SA!

Old 01-11-2008, 02:01 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,682,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
We had field trips at Leon Valley Elem and GlenOaks Elem to Coca-Cola, Judson Candy (and they told us that at anytime on the tour we could just reach in a take a piece of candy), the place where they made Eskimo Pies just down Fred Rd from Cool Crest, Butter Krust of course, San Antonio Light (I think), KENS TV at the old studio where Capt Gus was, San Antonio Zoo (what were the monkeys doing Mrs Akin?), Whitte Museum and the Burns Family dairy around Leon Valley in 1961 or so. Had ice cold milk with all the milk fat and OREO's after that one. It was fun being a kid in SA!
I wonder where kids go nowadays for field trips since there aren't any cool factory type place like that in SA anymore. Do they go to big coporations like USAA, Citi, & AT&T and watch people being beat with a stick while sitting in their cube?

Old 01-11-2008, 03:04 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,439,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Mmm the one field trip to Butter Krust. Everyone got the pencil, the ruler, and that one freshly baked slice of bread. I still remember the smell of the bread every time I would drive by the factory. Tis a shame they finally took out that mechanical billboard sign where the bread would fall out of the loaf.
I remember my younger brother going on a field trip to the Butter Krust bakery and, according to what his teacher told my parents, a hot tray full of bread came sliding off one of the overhead conveyors and tumbled down on him. He ended up with a minor burn on his face and extra pencils and bread!

Old 01-11-2008, 03:29 PM

847 posts, read 2,222,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post

I also remember one of the original Taco Cabana's off Hildebrand and McCullough, I believe...

it was in an old refurbished building and nothing like the glitz they throw up nowadays!

If you are speaking of the corner of Hildebrand and San Pedro,
it was a Dairy Queen before.

Tunie's Drive In was across the street where Jim's is now.

mud

Old 01-11-2008, 05:12 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,810,968 times
Irnag posted a program on the Mission Baseball team. In the program was an ad for Manhattan Restaurant. How many remember it? It was located next door to the Majestic Theatre and it really did have good food. The ad looks lame, but I guess they were trying to tie into the baseball terminology. My father kept on telling me that Babe Ruth was in town and played a game at the Missions. Hit a home run nat. Also Dizzy Dean started out in San Antonio playing for City Public Service and played a game at Mission Park. Back in those days, Missions played anybody. After Dizzy left SA he went up further in minors and wound up on the St. Louis Cardinals. He won two World Series in the thirties. His brother also played with him on the Cards. His name was Daffy Dean.
I remember Dizzy back in the fifties, calling the Cardinals game on TV.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:19 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,810,968 times
Talking about restaurants. The old Pig Stand on S. Presa was the very first drive-in Rest. in America. It opened up around 1926 (maybe 1923) and had great burgers, floats, sundaes. It catered to Brackenridge High School students. Which reminds me, remember the Cherry Faucefate? I used to get those at Grace's Pharmacy on Cincinnati & Wilson Blvd, next to Peacock Academy.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:28 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,408,891 times
Quote:
I remember these field trips: Butter Krust, Kens brand new studios, Mcdonalds, and Judson Candy. Those were the days.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:00 PM

847 posts, read 2,222,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post

Oh yes, remember the Seven Oaks Resort on Austin Highway?

From Paula Allan's column:

"World War II and rationing stamps followed,
thwarting development not only on Austin Highway
but throughout the nation."

The road stayed quiet, anchored by a school,
a church and a few tourist-oriented businesses,

until Sevenoaks — most likely the nightclub you remember —
opened in the early 1940s.
A country-club style resort,
Sevenoaks had moved from more modest quarters on Broadway
to a newly built facility at 1400 Austin Highway.

Some of the Clubs had a fold open souvenir photo booklet for your party.

Anyone remember these things?? The one below is from 1948.

I have some others as well.

mud

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/923/sevenoaksphoto800bb8.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-11-2008, 09:26 PM

305 posts, read 1,614,100 times
Did someone say Pig Stand?

Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-pigstandcafe.jpg

Old 01-11-2008, 10:52 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,274,614 times
Quote:
That is S W E E T!!!!!!!!

I had no idea that anything would be left. That would be a great place to do some metal detecting!!!

Thanks for the pix!
The same thought had occurred to me. A friend has a pretty expensive metal detector and I've been thinking of heading out there and trying it.

I will say that when Primo and I were out there, we scoured around for things like golf balls, match books, old golf scorecards. We couldn't find anything. It might be easier later when there are not so many leaves on the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio