Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2008, 09:29 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,408,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Been There B4 View Post
Me and my buddies would pedal our Stingrays a couple of miles to Griff's on Austin Hwy. and, for about a buck apiece, pig out on two cheeseburgers, fries, and a milkshake. We were always glad that the ride back home was mostly downhill.
Where on Austin highway was it located?

Old 01-18-2008, 10:06 AM

139 posts, read 502,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
I know! That was where we would go. How much are the burgers now?
I don't know I didn't make it to SA this Christmas. First time I wasn't in SA for Christmas, My Whole life. 44 years

Old 01-18-2008, 10:23 AM

2,397 posts, read 6,438,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwolfman View Post
I don't know I didn't make it to SA this Christmas. First time I wasn't in SA for Christmas, My Whole life. 44 years
Aaaaawwww...there's only been one time in my life that I wasn't home for Christmas, too, so I know how you feel.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:47 AM

284 posts, read 1,083,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Question for anyone who might remember, i was driving past evers and wurzbach yesterday and had a question. Where Fargo's pizza used to be in that shopping center was there a grocery store in the back? Just wondering.
I remember TG&Y being in that shopping center, but I don't remember a grocery store there. There was a Handy Andy just down the street at Evers and Glen Ridge, where the Big Lots is now.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:47 PM

88 posts, read 285,794 times
Quote:
Where on Austin highway was it located?
In proximity to the Alamo Drive-In, on the other side of the highway.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:00 PM

305 posts, read 1,613,964 times
Quote:
Question for anyone who might remember, i was driving past evers and wurzbach yesterday and had a question. Where Fargo's pizza used to be in that shopping center was there a grocery store in the back? Just wondering.

There was a chain of fruit and vegetable stores that opened in the area around the mid 70s. The one I remember best was by Record Hole at Callaghan and Babcock. For some reason, I remember one of the stores there near Fargos. I'm probably wrong because I don't remember TG&Y that well, unless it was on the side that faced Wurzbach.

Also, anyone remember the Sonic that was just down the road from there on Wurzbach? I remember the waitresses would come out on rollerskates and they always put little plastic animals on your drink cups. Then I remember they stopped skating because of liability, but in recent years I have seen some waitresses on skates. It closed and was a car rental place and the last time I drove by, it was vacant.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:09 PM

305 posts, read 1,613,964 times

YouTube - Hemisfair 1968-1988

There is a three part history on Hemisfair that I kind of stumbled on. It may be of interest for all you GBNFers. The sound stinks, but it was done by KSAT (K-Sat for all the new generation) on the 20th anniversary of Hemisfair.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:27 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,273,452 times
Quote:
It was located upstairs by Sears, it was a jailhouse cafe after Wyatt's. I think a store that sells shooting pull stuff is there.
I remember as a kid I liked Wyatt's a lot more than Luby's. They had better fried chicken and mashed potatoes. Or maybe it was the gravy they used on the mashed potatoes....I think it tasted kind of like KFC's.

You are right, though, I do remember it being upstairs by Sears. But I don't think it became a Jailhouse Cafe. I think it became a Texas State Optical, with an optometrist's office adjacent to it. That guy used to be my eye doctor through the 1980's. He was Chinese and a very nice man. I would get my glasses at the TSO next door. I don't remember a Jailhouse in Ingram at all (Unless it was in the mid to late 90's, I stopped going there by that time), but I do remember one at Windsor Park Mall. I remember reading in the paper that they did not pay their rent and were thrown out then sued by the management company that ran Windsor at the time.

Does anybody remember in the 1980's an odd little consumer electronic store downstairs in Ingram Mall, in front of the Sear's and to the right? I think it was called "United".

Old 01-18-2008, 09:39 PM

You guys should know me by now, I get obsessed by the history of things, here is the history of Wyatt's. The attached pics are from Dallas, not SA.

"Abraham Zahn emigrated from Germany in 1869 to New York, then to Pennsylvania, Kansas, and finally Oklahoma. He came to work with his Uncle George Zahn in the United States. In Oklahoma he became a butcher (meat cutter), providing meat to the Indian families.

Abraham's son, Henry George Zahn, born in Lehigh County, Pennsylvania on April 12, 1878, joined him in Oklahoma to get additional training in purchasing large quantities of meat. He also was a butcher, but had moved on to Dallas. Henry's first son and namesake was born in Dallas and the second in Hydro, Caddo County, Oklahoma, while he was training with Abraham. The last three children were born in Dallas. Henry married Minnie Pearl (Mooneyham) Walker in 1913.

H.G. began business on Greenville Avenue with a small grocery store. He later moved to a more central location in the city, where he had a narrow storefront and sold sandwiches for ten cents and drinks for five cents to downtown workers. He became a butcher for Wyatt's food stores. Perhaps during the Depression, he began to cook leftover meat to avoid loss and would sell it over the counter. He progressed to serving side dishes to go with the meat. That was the beginning of the large Wyatt's Cafeteria chain that spread over Texas and was eventually sold off by the owners in the 1990s. Henry retired from Wyatt's as a superintendent of the Wyatt's Food Stores and Cafeterias in the late 1940s.

The family lived at 4718 Reiger Avenue in a thirteen-room, two-story home, which served as both a boarding house and residence for raising a large family. His wife brought five children who were nearing maturity to the marriage, and they had five more together. Downtown Elm Street went east and reduced in size to become their alley.

The Zahn children were: Henry George, Jr., retired as supervisor in electric power plant for Gulf States Utilities in Beaumont; Charles Williard, vet graduate of Texas A & M who practiced in Fort Worth at the Zahn Veterinary Clinic; Curtis Lawson, Texas A & M graduate and retired engineer from Minneapolis-Honeywell Regulators; Helen Lucile, retired DISD schoolteacher and formerly Neiman-Marcus Department Store buyer; and Gordon Wilson retired from HEB Food Stores as Meat Market Manager. There were eight Zahn grandchildren.

H.G. Zahn, Jr., my father, was a member of Alexander Garrett Masonic Lodge. He and his wife are buried at Restland Memorial Cemetery."
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-img_wyattcolor-1.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-img_zahn.jpg  

Old 01-18-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
Does anyone remember the big mansion on Vance Jackson
at the crest of the hill where Gardina intersects??

It was on the northwest corner.
Designed by the legendary SATx architect
Harvey Partridge Smith.

Daisy and Violet Hilton, the Siamese Twins lived there
in the 1920s and in 1931 lost the house to their manager,
Myer Meyers, in a court judgement.
They died in 1969.

I live nearby, and would really like to find a picture
of that home. I don't know when it was demolished,
The fence is still there.

mud

Found this postcard featuring the twins. The copy supposedly says "Violet and Daisy: San Antonio Siamese Twins" used to have to climb the steep stairs of the Barr Building in downtown San Antonio for music lessons. Vaudeville stars, the Hilton twins were born in 1908 and died in 1969."

I never knew they were from here. I remember there used to be a big poster of them (maybe the one from your original post) hanging in the entrance to the main dining room of the Old San Francisco Steakhouse.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-postcard-15.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio