Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 11:38 AM

92 posts, read 301,497 times

Advertisements

Little green office building (1950’s-1960’s) across street from Parkers Drug store, southeast corner of Ben Franklin Elementary School at Olmos Dr. and West Avenue. My aunt worked at the office as the architects’ secretary. In 1961 the building was used as county court precinct #1 or #2 . Texas Highway patrol officer from Bandera road, Officer W. W. Fields tickets were handled by the precinct judge. Officer Fields was a stickler on speed and noise. Sidenote : He was caught poaching from a helicopter on a federal game preserve. Building torn down to expand school.

Northside Building Materials (Late 1950’s)- Fredricksburg road just south of Balcones Heights where El Pollo Loco and other businesses are now located, across from McDonalds.
My family always liked the Large sign out front:

“We don’t want all the business, just yours”

Trampoline and sports center (1957) – Babcock and Hillcrest southeast corner. Twenty or thirty or more 3x5 trampolines built into plywood floor. You would rent by the hour. Lots of sprains and broken arms.

Traveling Carnival – Babcock and Hillcrest northwest corner in the Model Market parking lot. A real scroungy outlaw traveling carnival would set up every year. We really like it. The rides were greasy and the operators were filthy. The strip center barber shop and beauty salon would not cut or perm their filthy hair, creating a tense situation. I never ate the food, just rode the rides.

Laguna Seafood Restaurant (1954–19….. Fredricksburg Road and Fresno Drive. Building is gone and a car wash is located at the site. We lived at 2135 Fresno for 6 months in 1954 and you could smell the fried fish when all members of the neighborhood families, including the moms and dads played kick the can and sardine. The smell made you hungry. We never ate there tho.

Rathskeller – 1965 – basement of Laguna Seafood Restaurant – nightclub beer joint, hippie hangout.
I don’t remember if the restaurant was still operating at that time.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:20 PM
tcs

217 posts, read 872,968 times
Oh those gross carnivals. I can say that I have never been on or in any of them. But when the stock show was in session, we did our fair share of doing those rides.

My mom used to take me to that barber shop in the early 60's when she went to the Model Market. The store had counter drafts where you could write in any bank. What a deal. I bought my first package of Grape Fizzies at that store.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:59 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,399,776 times
I saw a pic of Fred Rd somewhere on line how it looked at Balcones Heights in the 60's not much in the area.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:44 PM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
844 posts, read 1,616,884 times
Default I remember.......but not forgotten, great memories...

I remember the Crystal Baking Company restaurant very nice. Remember the San Francisco Steak House? Also, remember Scrivener's Tea Room and store, I loved it there!!! Sure do miss it. Remember these nightclub party places: Parana's located at 410 North and Vance Jackson? Rockwave located at Perrin Beitel and 410 NE? How about one nightclub that was downtown, I believe it was on the riverwalk level at Commerce Street, I think it was called Billy Marbles or some other similar name. Remember when St. Mary's Street was the place to go for a nice evening an go bar hopping and enjoy the local music and restaurants? If anyone has anymore information regarding all of the above please share, or any photos. I love San Antonio.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:27 AM

847 posts, read 2,218,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I saw a pic of Fred Rd somewhere on line how it looked at Balcones Heights
in the 60's not much in the area.

Will here are a couple screenshots from the Balcones Hts History page.
The red notations are added by me.
These are from the 40s and 50s -

Pretty interesting to read the 50 or so pages
at the BH History page,
at this link:

http://www.balconesheights.org/newhistory.pdf

mud

Old 01-22-2008, 02:26 AM

92 posts, read 301,497 times
Mudpuddle - great pictures. My family built a home in Montecello Heights in 1954. In picture number one I can see fields my older brother took my dads old pickup off road. Also the building you marked Citizens Bank was named Green Pastures and used for sock hops in 1957. See my post #2530. I banked at Citizens in early 60's while working at McDonough Brothers quarry. Did the bank use the old house for the branch? I just don't remember. Thanks again for the picts of my old stomping grounds. I probably walked every foot of the area. Picture two looks like the highway is 4 lane. Sometime between 47 and 57 it was increased from 2 to 4 lanes. Maybe my mom was right about 2 lanes in 54-55. Picture two shows the traffic islands. They installed traffic islands in the middle of Fredericksburg road. You can see part of one below the arrow of the one way sign. One damp day I hit passing gear and managed to jump the curb and straddle the island knocking down the metal pipe signs which caved in the front bumper of my car. I hated those islands.
I drove down Balcones road the other day and see where the masonery company has been removed. It had been there before we moved into the area.

I tried the link to BH numerous times but shows error??

Old 01-22-2008, 02:47 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,408,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preciouskitty207 View Post
I remember the Crystal Baking Company restaurant very nice. Remember the San Francisco Steak House? Also, remember Scrivener's Tea Room and store, I loved it there!!! Sure do miss it. Remember these nightclub party places: Parana's located at 410 North and Vance Jackson? Rockwave located at Perrin Beitel and 410 NE? How about one nightclub that was downtown, I believe it was on the riverwalk level at Commerce Street, I think it was called Billy Marbles or some other similar name. Remember when St. Mary's Street was the place to go for a nice evening an go bar hopping and enjoy the local music and restaurants? If anyone has anymore information regarding all of the above please share, or any photos. I love San Antonio.
My mom waitressed at both the Crystal Baking Company and the Old San Francisco Steakhouse during the 80's. In fact the Crystal baking company is where my mom and dad met.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:17 AM

4 posts, read 32,317 times
I remeber Playland Park! Jeez, I was maybe 6 when it closed down.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:30 AM

4 posts, read 32,317 times
I'm new in this forum, but reading these posts brings back many memories!

Joske's: I remember Fantasyland every Christmas season.

Carl's Jr: Great burgers!

Burger Chef: The only one I remember was on the southside on Military Dr. You would get a plain burger and they had a bar similar to the one at Fuddrucker's to dress them. They would also give away some flimsy, vinyl records with stories on them. Burger Chef and Jeff were the characters.

Ole Toro: A Mexican restaraunt right next door to Burger Chef.

Globe: A department store where K-Mart stood on Military Dr.

Centeno: A grocery/dept store at the corner of I-35 & Southcross.

Loop 13 Drive-In: Where the Office Depot is across from South Park Mall. A portion of the original Sugarland Express was filmed there.

I remember HEB being inside of South Park Mall. After that, it was Oshman's Sporting Goods, then Miller's Outpost.

I remember Woolco (a department store) was at the location of Mervyn's in South Park Mall.

I saw a post in this forum regarding Fred Gomez Carrasco, about his arrest at El Tejas motel. Yes, that motel is still there at Roosvelt & Southcross. My grandfather was a law enforcement officer here and was involved with that bust.

Captain Gus and Captain Kangaroo/Mr. Green Jeans/Dancing Bear

Anyone remember a cheesy show on CBS called Kaleidescope? I think it only lasted 1 season. How about PM Magazine with Mario Bosquez and Peggy Kokernaut?

Jeez, I'm starting to feel my age!

Old 01-22-2008, 07:40 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,678,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdragon69 View Post
I'm new in this forum, but reading these posts brings back many memories!

I remember HEB being inside of South Park Mall. After that, it was Oshman's Sporting Goods, then Miller's Outpost.

Anyone remember a cheesy show on CBS called Kaleidescope? I think it only lasted 1 season. How about PM Magazine with Mario Bosquez and Peggy Kokernaut?

Jeez, I'm starting to feel my age!
If I remember correctly....Miller Outpost was a Gap type store but the walls had lots of old barn/fence wood? I think there was one in Ingram and Windsor?

Mario Bosquez - he writes an (awlful) article in the SA Current called Mexican in Manhattan

Bruce Kates was the host of Kaleidscope - I was on the show (in the audience) once when we went on a field trip to KENS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio