Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2008, 10:10 AM

847 posts, read 2,217,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49 Olds View Post
mudpuddle- It hit me at daybreak.
I know in the 50's and early 60's there was a liquor store named Thompsons at that location.
It may have been a night club or combo club/store before.
I was too young to purchase booze.
We would go to Culebra road and find a nice Mexican to purchase our booze.
Nice guys. Never ripped us off nor would take any money.
They knew our plight
It became a Delta Pawn shop and now a Cash America Pawn shop.
The address fits.

Alright Olds, I know about that hitting at daybreak thing,
but I'm not so sure about the address fitting.

Here below are two images.
First is from the 1936 phone book.
Thomson's at 3120.

Second image is from 1964 Cole's City Directory
Thomson's is at 3106, and there is no 3120.
Odd Thompson's and Thomson's same phone same address.

Real interesting read up and down Fred Road.
I don't remember Newt Godfree Chevrolet being there.

Do you remember the name of that Cafe that specialized
in fried rabbit at Five Points???
It was next door to Repeat at Pete's Liqor Store.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:56 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,359,611 times
Default Hello friend,

I remember all those places and even the movie. I used to cruise all over the place , those places and used to get in the Bandera for free I knew the ticket taker. Those were the days! Gas was 19 cents a gallon, The film sugarland express was filmed at the "new" northside stadium and on the old Loop 13!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
This thread is for those who have lived in SA for some time now or maybe just have memories of places that no longer exist. It might be interesting to some of the newer folks who have no idea what used to be here, whether it was a beloved place or just something different that you can't find anymore.

I'm in my early 40s but I remember all the old movie drive-ins that used to be everywhere in the city. We used to frequent the old Bandera Rd Drive-In that used to be located at the SE corner of Bandera and Loop 410 where the old Target building sits empty. We also used to go to the Fredericksburg Rd Drive-In about a mile past Crossroads Mall (the old Wonderland Mall) just south of Loop 410. I remember the Woodlawn, the Mission and the Valley Hi theaters also.

For those that live on the far west side near Potranco Rd, there used to be a business just about 1/2 mile south of Potranco outside 1604 where you could drive back into the woods and target shoot. It was called appropriately enough "A Place to Shoot"...original, eh?! That wouldn't go over so well now with all the new homes being built, of course.

Also, at the eastern corner where Potranco Rd and Talley Rd deadends, was an old country gas station and store named "Reds" with old 1930s or 1940s gas pumps. It was owned by Mr and Mrs Red Laidley and they stocked everything from some basic groceries to farm and ranch equipment and feed for livestock. Most people don't know this but if you can find an old scary movie entitled "Race with the Devil" starring M*A*S*H TV star Loretta Swit and also starring Peter Fonda, you can see just how rural Potranco and that area used to be. The film was made around 1973 and the premise of the film involved two couples trying to get away from devil worshippers who caught them spying on one of their sacrifices..anyway..the scene shows them driving on Potranco towards Talley Rd in their RV and stopping at Reds for gas and information. You get a great shot of what the interior of this old country store looked like and you see both Mr Laidley and his elderly wife who had bit parts in the film. In the distance, you can see empty farm land and not the sea of homes that inhabit the view now.

The old gas station there off Culebra just to the west of 1604 that I hear was finally demolished for a new Jim's was called "Dan's"...it was similar to the store just mentioned above..Red's...everything seemed to have just one name! It serviced all the farms and ranches on FM 471 from where the old Grissom Rd intersected to the east all the way west towards the county line.

Anyone else have any old memores? I'll add some more later!

Old 01-22-2008, 12:01 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,359,611 times
Default Mc Donough Bros?

You must be near an old timer, I worked at limestone pits
in the early seventies, moved to Michigan and am about to retire from the union, It is OK here but not like there. Grew up around the Leon Valley area.
Quote:
Mudpuddle - great pictures. My family built a home in Montecello Heights in 1954. In picture number one I can see fields my older brother took my dads old pickup off road. Also the building you marked Citizens Bank was named Green Pastures and used for sock hops in 1957. See my post #2530. I banked at Citizens in early 60's while working at McDonough Brothers quarry. Did the bank use the old house for the branch? I just don't remember. Thanks again for the picts of my old stomping grounds. I probably walked every foot of the area. Picture two looks like the highway is 4 lane. Sometime between 47 and 57 it was increased from 2 to 4 lanes. Maybe my mom was right about 2 lanes in 54-55. Picture two shows the traffic islands. They installed traffic islands in the middle of Fredericksburg road. You can see part of one below the arrow of the one way sign. One damp day I hit passing gear and managed to jump the curb and straddle the island knocking down the metal pipe signs which caved in the front bumper of my car. I hated those islands.
I drove down Balcones road the other day and see where the masonery company has been removed. It had been there before we moved into the area.

I tried the link to BH numerous times but shows error??

Old 01-22-2008, 12:32 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,799,062 times
Quote:
I remember Alamo Downs before it turned into a business park. My father used to work at Southwest Research Institute across from the Alamo Downs site. As a kid, I remember driving by it and seeing the entrance closed off with a gated fence. Some people were able to sneak through and hike back to where the old elevated bleachers were along with the remains of the old horse stables. You could see these concrete elevated bleachers off in the distance from both Culebra Rd and from Loop 410. In fact, the Northside ISD football stadium was built on some of the old land that used to be part of Alamo Downs. Incidentally, it really was a horse racing track and it had its heyday in the mid to late 1930s.

I'm not familiar with Devil's Den but it does look as if there was something there near Ingram Park a long time ago. I also remember the school that was located at the corner of Ingram Rd and Culebra Rd about a 1/2 mile to a mile outside of Loop 410. I think it was a Catholic school (or some other religiously affiliated school) because I remember seeing older women (nuns/sisters??) working outside on the acreage taking care of the plants and the landscaping that was there. It was a large piece of land and not nearly as wooded as it is now since no one is actively keeping it up today. end quote

One of my relatives married into the Russell family. Alamo Downs was built and owned by Raymond Russell. There is a city park on the northside named after him.
My father and his brothers used to get in for free and went to many races there.
This post was in San Antonio 50's and 70's

Last edited by gy2020; 01-22-2008 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: did not show quote clearly

Old 01-22-2008, 01:01 PM

92 posts, read 301,422 times
Mudpuddle- Maybe the club was torn down or burned or the city re-numbered the block or Thompsons expanded and chose the 3106. There was a car dealer opposite side of Handy Andy #7 on Fredricksburg rd, south of the new Mutt Radicke auto parts. I remember Pete and Repetes, but not the cafe.
By the way, I finally got thru to the Balcones Heights site and downloaded and read the history of BH. I remember the constant turmoil of BH living next door and having friends living in BH. The article does not mention the cause of the spike in crime in the 70's & 80's.
The three apartment complexes on the south side of Hillcrest from Fredericksburg rd to Crestview, including the Continental became section 8 housing. There was a newspaper article about BH having the highest per capita crime rate in the state. The police were on their toes. The crime spilled over into Montecello heights. Wandering drunks, attempted burglaries, theft etc. When a call was placed to the City of San Antonio police department, BH police were first to arrive and provide protection and aid even tho the officers were out of their official jurisdiction. My hat is off to those officers. The apartments were razed and the crime rate dropped to almost zip. You must live close to that neat 40's grey primer chevy torpedo.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:21 PM

92 posts, read 301,422 times
Huckster- old only in the body. I was a truck dispatcher for a couple years. The three Mcdonough brothers, John, Jim, and Dan ran the operation. I think the nephew, plant manager Bill Worth took over then sold to Vulcan material. Enjoyed having lunch in foremans truck watching the noon blasting. Always exciting watching the face of the cliff suddenly move out, then the loud bang, the rumble, the drop and then the dust storm.

Leon Valley was a nice quiet area back then.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Mudpuddle - great pictures.
My family built a home in Montecello Heights in 1954.

I drove down Balcones road the other day
and see where the masonery company has been removed.
It had been there before we moved into the area.

Olds, the pix are pretty fair on the website.

Where is Montecello Heights??
just there north of Jeff High School, up to Babcock,
or????

My dad's parents moved over here just South of BH,
somewhere thereabouts 1954, so I've been stomping around
this neck of the woods for quite awhile.
Learned to drive on Spenser Lane in a 57 chevy in the early 60s,
when we would come over to the gParents house.

The Credit Union on the corner bought out Macon Concrete,
and he has moved out to the south end of town.

Ron Macon is a great guy, he's helped me out
a lot through the years.

Ron bought out his uncle - Woldhagen.
It was Woldhagen Pools as far back as I can remember.

The dust has quieted down significantly without the
mudPlant in operation.

Mud starts out as dust,
and then back to dust when it drys out.
It has been pretty controversial over here for years.
Never was an issue for me, I knew they were there
when I bought in. And, I make dust of my own.

mud

Old 01-22-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Mudpuddle- Maybe the club was torn down or burned
or the city re-numbered the block
or Thompsons expanded and chose the 3106.

I remember Pete and Repetes, but not the cafe.

By the way, I finally got thru to the Balcones Heights site
and downloaded and read the history of BH.

I remember the constant turmoil of BH living next door
and having friends living in BH.

The article does not mention the cause of the spike
in crime in the 70's & 80's.

The three apartment complexes on the south side of Hillcrest
from Fredericksburg rd to Crestview,
including the Continental became section 8 housing.

My hat is off to those officers.

The apartments were razed and the crime rate dropped to almost zip.

You must live close to that neat 40's grey primer chevy torpedo.

Who knows about the loss of that #.
Guess it could be any of those things you mentioned Olds.

Repete at Pete's had a big old Macaw perched inside.
I think the rabbit frying cafe may have been
called 5 Points Cafe.
Seems I remember they had FrogLegs as well.

That Balcones Heights history read was pretty interesting.
Need to go back and read it again.
I read it all 2-3 years ago.

Always some kinda turmoil here in BH.

That bulldozing of section 8 apartments
was probably around 1994-5 or so.
Before the bulldozing there was a constant parade
of questionable types south on Gentlemen Rd
to BH blvd, I guess they were headed to the
mcDonalds for a bigMac,
or to the Diamond Shamrock, for beer and cigarettes.
I was glad to see the end of that parade.

It picked up again couple years back.
I believe it started up right about Katrina time.

Mayor HardBerger has a plan in place now
to escalate the numbers of folks we taxpayers
can "help" in the event of a similar catastrophe.

And yeah, my hat's off to the guys and girls
that patrol the streets here as well.
I know them all well, and they know me.

My 46 Chevrolet FleetLine AeroSedan
is out there resting, as we type.
Paint color is ArrestMeBlack.
I bought that machine in 1980 from the Epperson estate.
Remember Epperson Chevrolet in Boerne??

mud

Old 01-22-2008, 10:12 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,300,929 times
Default Mud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
Olds, the pix are pretty fair on the website.

Where is Montecello Heights??
just there north of Jeff High School, up to Babcock,
or????

My dad's parents moved over here just South of BH,
somewhere thereabouts 1954, so I've been stomping around
this neck of the woods for quite awhile.
Learned to drive on Spenser Lane in a 57 chevy in the early 60s,
when we would come over to the gParents house.

The Credit Union on the corner bought out Macon Concrete,
and he has moved out to the south end of town.

Ron Macon is a great guy, he's helped me out
a lot through the years.

Ron bought out his uncle - Woldhagen.
It was Woldhagen Pools as far back as I can remember.

The dust has quieted down significantly without the
mudPlant in operation.

Mud starts out as dust,
and then back to dust when it drys out.
It has been pretty controversial over here for years.
Never was an issue for me, I knew they were there
when I bought in. And, I make dust of my own.

mud
What is the controversy over mud? Or is that a DB question? I guess I better read all the text but there is so much... not complaining... just need to play catch up. Arrestmeblack... you have a way with words for sure. I thought that Northwest Shopping Center came before Wonderland? Do you remember a very good seafood restaurant in the area of the VFW? I used to go to the Waffle House for the choc ice box pie! I remember the Church's Fried Chicken place and it is the building behind Mann Auto... tiny little structure... you would just drive up to the window and order... I don't recall a walk in area??? I really miss the old Jim's Frontier Drive Inn... they had the best hamburgers and onion rings ever. We used to buy liquor at Deano's when we were in high school. I did not live in this area but we came over here for Tip Top, shopping at the JC Penny's, Frontier, Church's, Wonderland of course, Cool Crest Putt Putt, etc. I remember the Mr. M's store on Vance Jackson and 410, Buddy's Drive Inn, Dellview Pharmacy (like Olmos Pharmacy), Winn's in Dellview Village. Does anyone else remember that area?The new Walmart used to be horse stables. Who doesn't miss the "good ole' days" when life was simple.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:18 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,300,929 times
Quote:
Mudpuddle - great pictures. My family built a home in Montecello Heights in 1954. In picture number one I can see fields my older brother took my dads old pickup off road. Also the building you marked Citizens Bank was named Green Pastures and used for sock hops in 1957. See my post #2530. I banked at Citizens in early 60's while working at McDonough Brothers quarry. Did the bank use the old house for the branch? I just don't remember. Thanks again for the picts of my old stomping grounds. I probably walked every foot of the area. Picture two looks like the highway is 4 lane. Sometime between 47 and 57 it was increased from 2 to 4 lanes. Maybe my mom was right about 2 lanes in 54-55. Picture two shows the traffic islands. They installed traffic islands in the middle of Fredericksburg road. You can see part of one below the arrow of the one way sign. One damp day I hit passing gear and managed to jump the curb and straddle the island knocking down the metal pipe signs which caved in the front bumper of my car. I hated those islands.
I drove down Balcones road the other day and see where the masonery company has been removed. It had been there before we moved into the area.

I tried the link to BH numerous times but shows error??
I have heard of Monticello Park but not Monticello Heights... where is that? What street?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio