U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 08:01 AM

130 posts, read 495,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Jonathan Pennington has already saved the Woodlawn but any corporate sponsorship would really help him out. It is called the Amphisphere Theatre and the website is San Antonio Entertainment | Things To Do San Antonio | Woodlawn Theater (Theater) San Antonio. He is a very nice young man.
He IS a nice guy... I went to school with him just before he graduated... really sweet and very talented.

How is the theater coming along? I passed by there the other day and I noticed Grease is playing... I wanna try and check it out.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:44 AM

22 posts, read 68,566 times
Default San Pedro Water Slide

Greetings,
I hate to change the subject but in a couple of places through out this thread people have talked about the tragedy at the water slide that used to be on San Pedro north of 410. I remember this place right before I left SA in '83. The thing that has been driving me nuts over the last couple of months since I read about it is I can't for the life of me figure out what this water slide's set up was like that would have caused this. I am very familiar with this type of early water slide from working a little at the one that was up in Waco at the same time. The slides in Waco had a small pool at the bottom of each slide no more than 6 inches deep. There was a small drain return vent at the end of this pool about three to four inches tall and about three feet wide. All water from the three slides were piped under ground to a pumping station that was fenced off and water was then sent uphill be a sealed pipe.
All of the pumping operation was sealed. Is any one here familiar with the type of set up at the San Pedro slide that could explain how the kid could have died so senselessly? I have since discovered that another accident just like the SA one occurred in Georgia or Florida can't remember. Was there another design that someone did not think through?? By the way, if you need a good laugh. Go to Wikepedia and search Action Park, New Jersey. Action Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. The story of this place is so sick it is hilarious. Here is a link to the other accident. It was in Canada, Tragic accident highlights lack of waterslide regulations
Thanks

Last edited by blabride; 01-28-2008 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: found link

Old 01-28-2008, 11:35 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,186,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blabride View Post
Greetings,
I hate to change the subject but in a couple of places through out this thread people have talked about the tragedy at the water slide that used to be on San Pedro north of 410. I remember this place right before I left SA in '83. The thing that has been driving me nuts over the last couple of months since I read about it is I can't for the life of me figure out what this water slide's set up was like that would have caused this. I am very familiar with this type of early water slide from working a little at the one that was up in Waco at the same time. The slides in Waco had a small pool at the bottom of each slide no more than 6 inches deep. There was a small drain return vent at the end of this pool about three to four inches tall and about three feet wide. All water from the three slides were piped under ground to a pumping station that was fenced off and water was then sent uphill be a sealed pipe.
All of the pumping operation was sealed. Is any one here familiar with the type of set up at the San Pedro slide that could explain how the kid could have died so senselessly? I have since discovered that another accident just like the SA one occurred in Georgia or Florida can't remember. Was there another design that someone did not think through?? By the way, if you need a good laugh. Go to Wikepedia and search Action Park, New Jersey. The story of this place is so sick it is hilarious. Here is a link to the other accident. It was in Canada, Tragic accident highlights lack of waterslide regulations
Thanks
It was called Super slide and it is discussed way back in this thread (I would say between pages (100 and 200). From what the board put together a kid hide behind the caged off water return area in the hopes of "cutting in line" to go on the ride again sooner...he was sucked up the return and died a death worse than drowning.
If my memory serves me right, The water at the bottom was about 3 feet deep and there was a just a chain link fence that he pulled back to hide behind. So there was a wall of chain link fence about 4 feet high and I believe there was about a foot of air space above it. Super slide had some sort of wrist band system to determine who goes in line first, and this poor kid died trying to beat the system.
I will see if I can find an article on it.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:04 PM

2,887 posts, read 4,349,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Since we have been on the topic of Fred Rd. I was thinking about 9 Mile Hill. There is a marker there which I posted some pics of a few pages back. Is there corresponding marker on the other end of 9 miles? Where exactly is nine miles from that marker on Wurzbach?
Does it mean 9 miles to San Fernando (like the current highway signs)? or does it mean 9 miles to 5 points?

Sounds like another field trip for GWhopper?
I think I read it denotes the last stage coach stop and rest area for horses before downtown San Antonio (or first if you were leaving SA, I guess) which was nine miles from the main downtown station. So Nine Miles from that mark should be the main stage coach stop for San Antonio from the late 1800's or early 1900's. This would be down Fredricksburg road.

Might be worth a trip, just to see what's there now.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:57 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,186,310 times
Default Super Slide

I have the date....I am still looking for more details..............

Saturday, May 17, 1980 - A 13-year-old boy was killed during a ride on a water slide in Texas. He lost both of his legs during the accident and finally drowned.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:26 AM

3,109 posts, read 8,716,415 times
I found an interested site about Jefferson High School,Home Page

Old 01-29-2008, 10:37 AM

22 posts, read 68,566 times
Default Water park

Primo,
I am researching it from a different angle. I have found that in the early days of water parks, some parks used the turbine pump technology that is common in large water treatment facilites. Centrifigul pump technology was not as good then as it is today. The problem was in how it was applied. Turbine pumps were not really designed to be out in a public area but deep underground or buried in a piping system. I would be willing to bet this was the situation here. I still cannot fathom how he got passed any grate that surely was covering the intake pipe. It is hard for me to believe S.A. inspectors would allow something like this to have been in operation. But then again, Action Park was in business for 8 years. Maybe someone will chime back in that can remember how this park was set up. This probably sounds like a strange obsession but I have been doing research for a project on theme park profitability and liability.
Thanks ,the date helps a lot. Next time I am down I will head to the paper and do some research.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:13 PM

5 posts, read 26,646 times
Hello,
I am new to this site. I notice that some of you remember things from years ago. Question... Do any of you remember any old Catholic Church that burned in San Antonio in the mid to late 40's. I am trying to help an elderly neighbor and she can't remember the name of the church. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Not sure that I can find this web site again, so if you don't mind, Moderator cut: email address God Bless! Mary Magdaline

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-22-2008 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: removed email address - request DM instead

Old 01-29-2008, 06:01 PM

19 posts, read 30,497 times
Default Southwest and Southeast side stuff..plus misc. stuff...

Do you remember...

Fox Theatre - across the street from Central Park Mall? Saw 'The Legend Of Boggy Creek' in the 70's

Before they refurbed North Star Mall, I remembered they had a General Cinema there. It had two screens (I think). Last movie I saw there was in the early 80's. McCreless Mall had GC also. Same setup. CineMark replaced the General Cinema when McC remodled in the late 80's. Now it's gone along with the mall.

"Rollercade" (I think) off Loop 410, "Shenandoah Skating Rink" - the Collonade area.

"BEST" Retail Stores - various locations

Shakey's Pizza on Goliad Road

'WHITE'S" - auto parts store, Western Auto took over in the early 80's, it's been 'Heavyweights' Gym for a long time now.

Shopper's World, Woolco,Gibson's Discount Store, Spartan, Gold Star StampRedemption Center (Military Drive), Globe Stores.
Ah, pre-Wal-Mart!

Loop 13 Drive In on Military Dr. (You plainly see it looming as you travelled on IH 35...also Valley-Hi Drive In, the Drive In that was right off Dietrich Road

Playland Park

'Ben Franklin Variety Store' - like Winns 5 & Dime. The one I remember was on the access road (paralell to Hwy. 90. I want to say the strip mall was called Marbach Plaza, but I'm not sure on that one.

Anyone remember Ray Ellison Drive (not the 'new' one built in 1976) went right into Lackland AFB?

Valley-Hi Mall - It's heyday was in the late 60's and early 70's. When Ingram Park Mall was built, then Valley-Hi started downwards.The building itself survived until the early 90's with only HEB, Eckerd's and Winn's inside. It was sad to see all the 'tagging' outside, and the backend of the mall was blocked off.
Eventually, the mall was demolished - leaving only HEB. It's since been remodeled, but they basically used the original building.

Valley-Hi Swimming Pool - It was the place to go in the early mid 70's. They had a wading pool, the main pool, and the diving pool. There was always a muddy wet when you waited at the consession stand. I don't when it taken out, but you can tell about where it was by the straight line of palm trees. The pool was right next to Valley-Hi Park. (parents always warned us about the hippies there)

Mr. M's convence store - off Medina Base Road.

Burger Chef - on the corner of E.Southcross & S. New Braunfels.

First Mate - on the corner of Goliad Rd. & Pecan Valley. They were all over town in the mid 70's. Long after they closed down, the red arrow 'Enter Here Mate' sign still stood, although the ship shapped restaurant was gone.

Winn's 5 & 10 - various locations...

ld001

Old 01-30-2008, 09:32 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,421,794 times
Where exactly was that waterpark were the kid drowned? What is there today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or