U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 03:50 PM

45 posts, read 156,999 times

Advertisements

I lived in SA in the mid to late 50s. In those days the Transit Tower had lights at the top -- red or white, as I remember -- that we kids were told indicated if there had been a traffic fatality in the city that day. Anybody else remember that? Is it still called the Transit Tower? (I can't imagine that it is -- probably has some corporate name now!)

In another post, someone said that what had been Northside Junior High (on the grounds of Northside High School back then) is no longer there. What happened to it?

Old 02-13-2008, 05:28 PM

10,409 posts, read 12,671,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abigailnewrob View Post
Boy has San Antonio changed . I remember the only out - to - dinner choices to be Naples, La Fonda , or The Barn Door .
Correct me if I've misunderstood, but you are only 42 and you are saying that you remember a time when there were only 3 good restaurants in San Antonio? I'm curious which ones you like today.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:38 PM

22 posts, read 50,062 times
Remember where ez and bookstop were was Waitz Model Market - in the 60's 70's ??

Old 02-14-2008, 07:11 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,177,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Correct me if I've misunderstood, but you are only 42 and you are saying that you remember a time when there were only 3 good restaurants in San Antonio? I'm curious which ones you like today.
Good topic. Where were the "Fancy" places you went to eat back in the day? We are talking Mothers day or Valentines day. I remember going to Chrisities and Wolfe's Inn.
For a my Dad, we always went to Sizzler or Mama's

Old 02-14-2008, 09:25 AM

9 posts, read 22,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
Earlier in this thread (like back in October) there were a few comments about a place called "Edge of Town".

When my wife and I first got married in 1985, we lived in the apartments at 7585 Ingram Road - back then I think they were called Greystone - now they are something else. Anyway, right at the intersection of Ingram and Culebra in the same center that now houses Fast Eddies, there was an awesome club and it was called Edge of Town.

Am I just imagining this? And my wife too? Perhaps there was more than one Edge of Town as some people recall it being over on Perrin Beitel or Nachodoches, but honestly, in at least 1985 and 1986, there was one on Ingram and Culebra.

Can anyone else confirm this?

I lived in Misty Oaks from 82-92 and I remember the Greystone Apartments and Greystone II. I worked at the Pizza Hut on Grissom Road and used to deliver there alot. None of that area was in the city limits at that time.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:30 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,336,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
A question for everyone out there, where the Melting pot is now what used to be there?
Sorry I've been absent from the board for awhile. I've just been swamped with work lately, but finished a big project today and thought I'd check in.

The Melting Pot location was originally opened as the London Steakhouse and the chefs cooked the steaks in the middle of the restaurant so you could watch your meal being prepared. The retail center it was located in was owned by Mitchell Batras, the owner of the ubiquitous Mitchell's Bars that have existed in various places around San Antonio for the last 30 years (they even had one North Star Mall!). I believe Mitchell owned the restaurant as well, he would occasionally foray into the restaurant biz since he built and owned so many strip centers in the 70's and 80's, but it became too expensive to run after awhile, and he let another tenant move in.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:32 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,336,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettblack View Post
I am new to this message board so I don't know if these things have been talked about or posted but,

Does anybody remeber the food court in North Star mall or Central Park? There was a cookie shop or cinnamon place that had little anamatronic elves acting like they were making cookies or something.

Or what about Mr. dunderbauchs that had that clown riding the bike back and forth on that wire?

What happened to the little plastic animals that Sonic used to put on you glasses?
Man I miss the 80's.
That was Whimsy Works, and they made churritos, though I think they called them something else. I think they were called Whimsy Sticks.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:32 PM

139 posts, read 419,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I am 44 and I live in Tempe AZ now. I wish there was a tenth of the great restaurants back in the 60s and 70s in SA, Here now. . We must have grown up in different SAs LOL. HHW

Old 02-15-2008, 05:58 AM

304 posts, read 1,420,364 times
Let's see where did I go when I was little. Hmm, my mom and dad used to take me to Luby's. That's it! That's the list! So, unlike Abigailnewrob, I have to say there was only one restaurant. And for that matter, it was a cafeteria.

But once I got older, the places I liked were Maggies, Lyndys, La Fogata and The Original downtown. But for a good time, Dick's on the river was the best. (Legendary for me)

Old 02-15-2008, 06:46 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,177,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
Let's see where did I go when I was little. Hmm, my mom and dad used to take me to Luby's. That's it! That's the list! So, unlike Abigailnewrob, I have to say there was only one restaurant. And for that matter, it was a cafeteria.

But once I got older, the places I liked were Maggies, Lyndys, La Fogata and The Original downtown. But for a good time, Dick's on the river was the best. (Legendary for me)
Luby's and Sea Island were the only 2 places my family ate on a regular basis for non-special occasion. Funny you should mention, the other day..we were talking were did we all eat before all the new chains like Olive Garden and Salt Grass lined I-10 and 281. The answer is easy...in San Antonio, everyone ate at Lubys! (Talk about another place that has really gone down hill!)

I always remember the Luby's at Central park seemed nicer, and upscale...I guess because it was dark green on the inside. It is only a matter of time before ALL Luby's become chinese buffets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or