U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-18-2008, 07:24 AM
Status: "The blue mat is obsessed with me. Whyyyy??" (set 13 days ago)

13,648 posts, read 22,125,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Growing up, we ate at Luby's every single Wednesday and Friday.

Every. Single. Wednesday. And Friday.

When I got old enough I promised I would never ever eat at Luby's ever again and have only broken that promise twice in the last 20 years.
I can only do Luby's when I'm forced to. I have never understood the appeal. My husband loves their vegetables, but when a tray for him alone is about $18, then no thanks! He really, really loves the veggies there.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:06 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,182,193 times
Default Lubys

I still have nightmares of the "dreaded -breaded veal cutlet". And of course my mom and grandmother always ordered the "Lou Ann Plater".
I will admit...they do have the best syrupy fruit salad in the world.

But we were fortunate enough to kick the Luby's habit a long time ago. I swear, my Mom and Grandmother have ate at Sea Island every single Friday (Lent or not)..for the past 30 years.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:43 AM

302 posts, read 1,090,595 times
Quote:

When I got old enough I promised I would never ever eat at Luby's ever again and have only broken that promise twice in the last 20 years.

I feel your pain.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:10 AM

4,277 posts, read 6,935,251 times
Quote:

How can you get tired of it? They have such variety. If it were something like Taco Bell or Schlotzky's twice a week, I could understand. But Luby's? That sounds like heaven.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:02 PM

91 posts, read 187,343 times
We seldom ate at any restaurants. My dad preferred home cooking. I don't know how your families afforded to eat out in the 50's & 60's so often. Both my parents worked and we still had cooked dinners every evening with 6 plus fresh veggies. On Sundays BBQ beef, chicken or pork cooked in a 55 gallon barrel BBQ'er with 10-12 veggies. Each person got a 1/4 rack of ribs or 1/2 a chicken and extra leftovers for snacks. I know now why my parents never got sick and lived into their 90's healthy.

Luby's- I would prefer to go into the garage and get a #6 cardboard box and cut a cute little breaded veal cutlet shape, open a commercial size can of overcooked green beans, sweet corn, and turnips, add a piece of almost cornbread, stuffed jalapena, ice tea and the only half edible item a piece of pecan pie. Eight years ago I fell for an emergency offer of Sunday dinner at the Luby's on Fredericksburg road. Never never never never never never never never never never never never never never again.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:33 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
Wicks? Was that a lumber company? I remember the sign with one half of the W blue and the other half red. I know HEB headquarters is at the Arsenal. The only thing I can think of that is HEB on Fredericksburg is the Training Center. Is that what you are talking about? I remember it used to be a Paul Anderson (Office Supplies/Furniture) and a Mickey Finns (bar).
There was also a centeno's there in the 70's.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:59 PM

22 posts, read 45,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
I went to La Bare once and it was in that strip across from Central Park Mall on San Pedro (I think there was a La Ferria there) and now I think there is a Starbuck's in the same strip. I can't recall the intersecting street at the moment but it is the main street that runs behind Central Park and North Star Mall. Anyhoo... it was fun actually and one of the guys liked me but I never went back because it really wasn't for me. I remember thinking that men actually put on a better show than female dancers... alot more energy... that kinda annoyed me that men could even do what has been known to be a womens domain better. I went many years later to "Wild Zebra" with some other females just for the heck of it and I found it emasculating for a man to be dancing in his underwear... was not very manly. That was the extent of my experience and think I can live without anymore of those experiences. LOL
Does anyone remember Miss Wiggles at Eastbrook Country Club?

Old 02-18-2008, 08:46 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,181,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsasse View Post
Does anyone remember Miss Wiggles at Eastbrook Country Club?
Sorry, never heard of Eastbrook County Club or Miss Wiggles although I do have a wiggle in my walk!

Old 02-19-2008, 12:55 AM

91 posts, read 187,343 times
rsasse-
you may be thinking of the Eastwood Country Club. Miss Wiggles the dancer, Gatemouth Brown guitar player and singer, and Tiny (the huge black cop) that maintained law and order. We were Four or five couples 18 yr. old out there having a good time. One of the guys in our group started cussing and acting up and Tiny, with that huge hand simply grabbed him by the muscle above the collar bone and told him to straighten up and sit down. He did and we continued to party.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:29 AM

5 posts, read 11,062 times
Wink Sic Transit Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnet View Post
I lived in SA in the mid to late 50s. In those days the Transit Tower had lights at the top -- red or white, as I remember -- that we kids were told indicated if there had been a traffic fatality in the city that day. Anybody else remember that? Is it still called the Transit Tower? (I can't imagine that it is -- probably has some corporate name now!)
It's the Tower Life Building now, I'm pretty sure... I think that change happened in the late 1960s but could be wrong about the time. It started out as the Smith-Young Tower, I recall from older relatives.

Other high-rises downtown I remember (that have since been dwarfed by newer structures): National Bank of Commerce - not sure what it is now; the rococo-ish Nix Hospital; the Medical Arts Building, just North from Alamo Plaza; the fabulous Hilton Palacio del Rio, built for Hemisfair '68, with the prefabricated rooms lifted into place one at a time like so many Lego blocks; and Santa Rosa Hospital. All that was long before the Rivercenter hotels and other recently built behemoths.

And of course the Tower of the Americas: I remember seeing the tower shaft slowly rising from the soon-to-be fairgrounds, and then the tophouse structure was JACKED UP the thing over several months. This engineering feat mightily impressed my preadolescent self!

prufrock
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio