U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2007, 09:34 AM
940 940 started this thread

13,789 posts, read 7,328,008 times

Advertisements

Great pics of the old theaters, spaceage. The second pic of the Fredericksburg Rd Drive-In brings back a lot of memories. We went to a lot of movies there throughout the 70's.

The Bandera Rd Drive-In ad was terrific too. I remember passing that for years as a kid driving with my parents on Loop 410. Later, it sat empty for a long time until the old Target was built (which has since moved on itself)!

And yes, on some of the older maps and highway websites, Loop 410 was initially called Loop 13.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:18 AM

2,745 posts, read 13,127,132 times
I appreciated the memories of fellow "old punks" here on the forum. I remember the place on Ave B I think.. wasn't it the one that had a pool inside that also went outside, and it was forever empty?

I remember Wacky's too, and the DMZ, and the Showcase, and some little place on Blanco down by that feed store.. Al's or something like that. I remember seeing the circle jerks at the Showcase, and GG Allen at some little place but I can't remember what it was. My foggy memory seems to want to believe it was next to Hogwild, where the Sanctuary now is?? Am I crazy or is that right?

Thanks for the memories.. now I feel decrepit!

Old 02-21-2007, 04:55 PM

10,626 posts, read 12,774,661 times
You guys are right about the DQ at Babcock and Hillcrest. I went there one time as a kid. I was lying down because I was sick and I assumed we were on Hillcrest going towards Fred. But I drove past there again today and the frigging building is still there! I must have seen it many times but I just wasn't paying attention. It's on the west corner in front of DPS and nothing about the building seems to have changed other than the DQ signs have been removed. I'm an idiot.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:40 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,429,035 times
I wonder when it closed?

Old 02-22-2007, 06:46 AM

305 posts, read 1,424,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I wonder when it closed?
That DQ has been gone a long time. I would think it closed in the late 70s if not earlier. I think it coincided with another one opening up, but I can't think where that would be. Fredrickburg? Don't remember.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:02 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,429,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
That DQ has been gone a long time. I would think it closed in the late 70s if not earlier. I think it coincided with another one opening up, but I can't think where that would be. Fredrickburg? Don't remember.
I remember there was a dairy queen on fredricksburg road on what is know tink a taco, I don't remember when it opened or closed.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:49 PM

3 posts, read 11,277 times
Default Babcock and Hillcrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
The DQ was actually at the corner of Babcock and Glenview. Just a little further down toward Hillcrest was a Lone Star Ice House. Anyone from Baskin Elementary in the 60's?

Old 02-24-2007, 07:55 PM

3 posts, read 11,277 times
Who remembers the lower level of Wonderland Shopping mall with the Pinball Machines, the old Picadilly Cafe and the Slot Car Racing? Mid to Late '60s.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:00 AM

23 posts, read 85,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eily71 View Post
A page or so back, I asked if anyone remembered the name of the local teen dance show hosted by Bruce Hathaway. I regoogled and found that it wasnt Teen Time, but Swingtime. Just thought I would pass that along.

BTW, Thanks for the welcome! I first moved to SA in 1960, just for the summer while dad was attending crypto school and we moved back after he retired in 1966. I lived in the Valley Hi area at a time when there wasnt a lot else there. I was a freshman when John Jay HS opened its doors for the first time for the 1967/68 school year and was a member of the Class of 71, the first graduating class to have attended all four years at Jay. Our first year, 67-68, we had no senior class. This allowed students from Holmes and Marshall to finish their senior years at their "home" schools rather than transfer to a new school. The alumni from those first three classes, The Original Jay Mustangs, are still a tight knit group all these years later and have a special reunion coming up this July to honor the 40th anniversary of the opening of JJHS. Good Times!!
Did you know that one of your classmates was First Mate Mortimer on the Captain Gus show? Dennis DuPriest started with Swingtime too. After Captain Gus he had his own show - Gobs of Fun.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:41 AM

40 posts, read 204,266 times
Loved lots of things about San Antonio:

Shopping at Solo Serve before it closed
Driving up to the Salt Lick for Barbecue
Waking up every day in paradise
the people always smiled even just for no good reason
Grilling on the patio on Christmas Eve in short sleeves and flip flops
the Hill Country in spring
the wildflowers on the roadsides

On a different note - does anyone remember how 281 was flooded over near Olmos Part in the 90's whenever we had that terrible rain that lasted for days??? There were boats on the lake that formed over the road and we couldn't get to work for a while. What year was that anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or