Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 06:58 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times

Advertisements

I wonder what the timeframe was for both Gulfmart and Globe in SA?

Old 04-05-2008, 10:36 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times
I remember a Globe store opening on San Pedro at Rampart around 1967. I'm not sure if it was the first one in San Antonio, but it was the first location I know of. I believe Globe shut down in the late 1970s.

Gulf-Mart declared bankruptcy in the mid 1970s, and closed their stores shortly thereafter. The Gulf-Mart on Broadway north of 410 probably dated back to the 1950s, and was at one time a members-only store (as was Fed-Mart at the time). I think membership was restricted to Military and Federal employees. My family was Federal Civil Service, and we were Gulf-Mart members. I think Gulf-Mart opened to the general public sometime during the 1960s. In addition to general merchandise, Gulf-Mart had a grocery section and an auto repair shop.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:36 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,837,956 times
Default Northside H.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnet View Post
Anybody old enough to have attended Northside Jr. High and High School in mid-50s? When they were out in the country, surrounded by bluebonnets?
I didn't attend Northside, I'm a Jeff grad, 1961, but I dated a cute chick for several years who did attend Northside. She grad. same year.
I later subbed at John Marshall (same school) several times. Like the school very much. Liked Jeff better in its heyday.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:30 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abigailnewrob View Post
It was called naples - The alamo heights crowd went there - a popular spot on Sunday nights . Greasey and terrible italian food but if you grew up on it - you might miss it for a split second. They opened it up again in the late 90's by the med center and then on broadway near att , it flopped .
Actually, the med-center location didn't flop, it was run by the grandchildren of the original family. They were successful at the med center location, then moved back closer to the original location. They flopped there, barely making lasting a year.

I used to eat at the med center location once a week. You are right, it wasn't the best italian food, but I loved the balsamic, oil, and spices they gave to dip the bread in.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:03 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post
Primo,

Best I can remember the Globe on San Pedro becoming a K-Mart was 1980 or so, roughly when K-Mart first came to SA. Globe also took the old Gulf-Mart on Broadway but it operated a short time; that store became a K-Mart in the late 70s and was open for 3-4 years before that became Consumer's Commissary.

Target opened in San Antonio in February 1982. It seems to me FedMart shut their stores for a while, remodeled/expanded the buildings and reopened them in the mid to late 70s. FedMart left SA for good around 1981.

Globe also had stores in SA at Fredericksburg/410 (old Gulf-Mart), SE Military (close to S. Flores) and downtown across from Police Headquarters (street name escapes me - S. Santa Rosa?) There's still stuff in Mom's garage with Globe price stickers.

Macgrad89
I remember that the downtown location became a Kmart and was there from the 80's till they all closed.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:36 PM

44 posts, read 192,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ld001 View Post
I vaguely remember a Globe store at the corner of Goliad at SE Military. I say 'vaguely' because my mother and I would go visit my Aunt, who was near Hot Wells, and we lived out in Valley-Hi. I was maybe 4 or 5 then.

Also, remember 'Burger Chef"? The one I went to was at the corner of Southcross and S. New Braunfels, just before the interstate. Burger Chef had 'Happy Meals' b4 Mc Donald's did.

ld001
The store you're thinking of on Goliad and SE Military was originally a Spartans until about '71. A few years later, it became a K Mart. Globe was farther down on Military, closer to southside Sears.

I remember that Burger Chef location well. I think they were the first chain to have "fix your own" burgers. Too bad they didn't last.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:37 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,544,815 times
Does anyone remember the Alamo Heights swimming pool with the diving pool? How about the Pilgrim park swimming pool?

Old 04-08-2008, 06:46 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
Does anyone remember the Alamo Heights swimming pool with the diving pool? How about the Pilgrim park swimming pool?
My cousins lived in the Delview area and we would go to Pilgrim years ago. The thing I can still remember is the the cold water you had to walk through in a narrow alleyway to get in. My cousins always joke it was to clean off all the dirty kids before they got in the pool. But now that I think about it...I guess they weren't joking.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:45 PM

60 posts, read 208,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
The Alamo Heights pool is still alive and open... the giant diving platform is long gone but both pools are still there.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:34 PM

45 posts, read 176,120 times
One of the breweries -- Pearl? Lone Star? -- had a swimming pool on the grounds. The synchronized swimming team at SAC (I was a member in 63-65) used it for practice for a performance in Monterrey, Mexico. Was this a public pool, does anyone remember?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio