Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 12:04 PM

16 posts, read 51,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
Remember Joe Fowler and his 'Boo' sign? I know he has been in some movies and typically plays a jerk. Remember Jud Ashmore? The weatherman for channel 5. He had a bar over by Bandera and 410. Also I am still upset at channel 5 for showing the smurfs over the BC/Miami game in which Flutie won with the legendary Hail Mary. I remember Dan Cook coming on the news and lambasting the program director. I know I should let it go, but I can't.

Whatever happened to Tommy Kraemer? Remember he was the Lee High quarterback that had a successful pro career with the Vikings, then got messed up with drugs and alcohol. Didn't he at one time have a bar over by the Windsor Park area?

For the one asking about Cooter Browns, it was out by UTSA on 1604. Back when UTSA was like a building or something. I'm not exactly sure, but I think that new outdoor mall is pretty close to where Cooter Browns used to be.

I saw Joe King Carrasco and the Kingpins when I was at Texas A&M. He did a free concert in a little gym there. It was a blast! (Yes there were rockers at A&M) and we were a rabid bunch. Joe King is awesome! Speaking of Joe "Kingpin" Carrasco, (the druglord) he met his demise at the Apartments there at Babcock and Callaghan. The Royal Arms? I can't remember what they were called.

How about the old road that went over the Olmos Dam? It was kind of scary. That was the first thing I had to drive over once I got my license. It was a good thing, because it was gone soon after.

The only place of any consequence in Helotes was Floores Country Store. So I'm assuming you are talking about the roads built into the hill. There were a lot of hills in Helotes that fit that description. In fact I had an Aunt that lived on a huge hill. Her house was to the right, the dropoff was to the left.
The reference to B*%ch Hill was actually a street called Cash Mountain I believe. We used to ride horses up and down it and it was a bit scary because it always felt like the horses were going to start sliding down.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:10 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,547 times
Default Tommy Kramer

Now if Tommy Krammer isn't the spokesperson for GBNF in SA, I don't know who is. Has that guy ever had a successful business that stayed open for more than a year?
I am not too sure of all of his (failed) business ventures. but here goes:

Tommy Krammers Bar - in the Colonade
Krammers Bar - on Perrin Beital
Some Golden Corral type steakhouse on Perrin Beital across from the post office.
I believe he ad a BBQ place on wetmore

I know there are more....

Old 06-18-2008, 03:16 PM

7 posts, read 23,043 times
I remenber piggly wiggly grocery store on zamorra street and the one near Jefferson high school. I used to shop there because it was cheap like Handy Andy grocery store. H.E.B. was very pricey.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:46 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,836,023 times
The Piggly Wiggly was an anchor tenant of the Jefferson Village shopping center on Donaldson Ave. The other anchor was Sommers Drug Store. There was a Red and White on Cincinnati Ave. next to Grace's Pharmacy across from Peacock Academy. both Grace's and Red and White are a tamale factory now. Grace's had a fountain that served cherry falsphates (sp?). The Red and White grocery store had a wooden floor and the smell of sawdust.

Here's a pic from 1960 high school annual, The Monticello showing Jefferson Village and the Piggly Wiggly.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:03 PM

78 posts, read 407,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziebuzie View Post
Dose anyone remenber the dance hall Villa Fontana in the hemisfair park in the 1970's That where I found my husband.
A relative of mine had her wedding there in those days. For a few years in the early 1980's it held heavy-metal and punk rock shows.
http://www.satxpunk.com/Flyers/1983-...11-30-1984.jpg
http://www.satxpunk.com/Flyers/1983-...a_1-1-1984.jpg

I remember walking past it during this time and saw the ditch/moat/canal that was right next to the hall being full of trash, which was prolly left over from the previous night's festivities.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:42 PM

Hey everyone, I was searching Mapquest for the old V. E. Red Barry castle on the east side. Some of you old timers will know who I am talking about. He was the old gambler himself that had a beautiful castle with a mote around it and it was about where E. Houston and Commerce meet I-10. I have a Mapquest link to the site. Look at the pics and see if you agree. It appears to have been demolished. I wasn't here. I was in St. Louis for 7 years. When did they do this horrible deed. I hope someone protested.

Map of E Houston St & Ih 10 E San Antonio, TX by MapQuest (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/E+Houston+St+%26+Ih+10+E+San+Antonio+TX+78220/#a/maps/l::E+Houston+St+&+Ih+10+E:San+Antonio:TX:78220:US: 29.4248:-98.4207:intersection:/m:hyb:12:29.4248:-98.4207:0::/io:0:::::f:EN:M:/e - broken link)

Check out the ruins between Houston and I-10 next to what appears to be a going business. You can enlarge the image to get a better look.

Last edited by gy2020; 06-18-2008 at 08:51 PM..

Old 06-19-2008, 07:56 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziebuzie View Post
I remenber piggly wiggly grocery store on zamorra street and the one near Jefferson high school. I used to shop there because it was cheap like Handy Andy grocery store. H.E.B. was very pricey.
I remember a Piggly Wiggly on West Avenue...it eventually turned into "The Show Case" music venue

Old 06-19-2008, 11:05 AM

I had the wrong address for V. E. "Red" Barry Mansion. I am happy to say it is still around and here is the official website. Please note the moving water in the foreground.

The Red Berry Mansion on the Lake

Old 06-20-2008, 12:59 PM

28 posts, read 148,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Hey everyone, I was searching Mapquest for the old V. E. Red Barry castle on the east side. Some of you old timers will know who I am talking about. He was the old gambler himself that had a beautiful castle with a mote around it and it was about where E. Houston and Commerce meet I-10. I have a Mapquest link to the site. Look at the pics and see if you agree. It appears to have been demolished. I wasn't here. I was in St. Louis for 7 years. When did they do this horrible deed. I hope someone protested.

Map of E Houston St & Ih 10 E San Antonio, TX by MapQuest (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/E+Houston+St+%26+Ih+10+E+San+Antonio+TX+78220/#a/maps/l::E+Houston+St+&+Ih+10+E:San+Antonio:TX:78220:US: 29.4248:-98.4207:intersection:/m:hyb:12:29.4248:-98.4207:0::/io:0:::::f:EN:M:/e - broken link)

Check out the ruins between Houston and I-10 next to what appears to be a going business. You can enlarge the image to get a better look.

Hey gy2020! Here is a link to a "bird's eye" view of the mansion on Live Search maps:

Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible

Old 06-20-2008, 02:19 PM

Love the bird's eye view!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio