Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2008, 03:36 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,543,585 times

Advertisements

I remember the jingle for Rosow and Kline. It was done like an old Vaudville routine

Old 07-04-2008, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,210 times
looking for info on weatherman Jim Dawson

Old 07-04-2008, 05:42 PM

39 posts, read 200,439 times
Don't know if you heard, but Dan Cook passed away Thursday evening. Another San Antonio icon that's gone and certainly will not be forgotten.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:17 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,543,585 times
We used to always watch Dan Cook for High School football scores before Project Terror would start. I remember how we would sit there and count how many times he blinked his eyes. Silly kids stuff but I can't remember any other sportscaster from back then --I think the weather men were more popular..

Old 07-04-2008, 06:45 PM

5 posts, read 13,135 times
I just came across this forum while reading different things about Dan Cook. It brought back a lot of memories from growing up in San Antonio. I remember watching the news in the 70's. Chris Marrou as the anchor, Jud Ashmore on weather and, Dan Cook on sports. There are a lot of other memories I'll write about later.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:13 AM

Does anyone know if The Sea Island Shrimp House is still around? My Mom was the manager of the one located on Rector Dr., right behind North Star Mall. It was back in the early 70's. I remember that a greek family owned it along with a few other restaraunts around town. I seem to remember that they owned one downtown called The Manhattan? and, I believe they had a partial ownership of The San Francisco Steak House. Does anyone remember these places?

Old 07-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck in florida View Post
Does anyone know if The Sea Island Shrimp House is still around? My Mom was the manager of the one located on Rector Dr., right behind North Star Mall. It was back in the early 70's.
The chain and that location are still around.

Sea Island Shrimp House San Antonio

Quote:
I believe they had a partial ownership of The San Francisco Steak House. Does anyone remember these places?
The Old San Francisco Steak House in SA closed for good about three or four years ago. At the time it closed, word was that there was one last location of that chain still open in Houston. I went there once. It was kitchy and I thought the food was too expensive for what it was.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:53 AM

Thanks for the info Bowie.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:26 PM

24 posts, read 92,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I grew up in the Dellview area. I was lucky because there were two slot car tracks in that area. The big one was in Wonderland shopping center but there was also a small shop in Dell Village that held races on friday nights. It was right next to the guitar shop. Did anybody else frequent either one of those places?
I grew up a the neighborhood east of Dellview, between West Ave and Blanco... I believe it's called Cresthaven. I remember well the slot car track at Wonderland. I have a vague recollection of the one in Dell Villiage. I also remember the music store in Dell Village and also Music Mart in Allena Village at Blanco and Basse. Back in the day, I always thought the lower lever of Wonderland was a fun place to be with the slot car track, the hobby shops, and a little record store tucked away down there. I remember that little record store sold just about every 45 you could imagine.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:45 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,430,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneManOnBass View Post
I grew up a the neighborhood east of Dellview, between West Ave and Blanco... I believe it's called Cresthaven. I remember well the slot car track at Wonderland. I have a vague recollection of the one in Dell Villiage. I also remember the music store in Dell Village and also Music Mart in Allena Village at Blanco and Basse. Back in the day, I always thought the lower lever of Wonderland was a fun place to be with the slot car track, the hobby shops, and a little record store tucked away down there. I remember that little record store sold just about every 45 you could imagine.
Hey one have a question for you, their used to be a handy andy at the corner of west ave and blanco. Was that the only store there at the time, or was there other stores attached to it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio