U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2008, 10:36 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,070,189 times

Advertisements

[quote=Willsatx;4358267]Hey one have a question for you, their used to be a handy andy at the corner of west ave and blanco. Was that the onlystore there at the time, or was there other stores attached to it?[/quo

The Handy Andy is a Marshalls now. I love to go to that part of town to see how much it has changed. The Clicks Billiards finally closed about a year ago. The only thing I can remember next to Handy Andy was Dante's Pizza and it was a very popular place. This was back in the late sixties or early seventies. My buddy Mike worked at that Handy Andy and hit a deer going home down west ave. The deer put a big dent in his Vespa but he survived. Oh yes and that resturant on the corner of Blanco and 410 used to be a Vespa dealership--not the mexican resturant--the chinese one further down

Old 07-07-2008, 12:23 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,335,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
The chain and that location are still around.

Sea Island Shrimp House San Antonio

The Old San Francisco Steak House in SA closed for good about three or four years ago. At the time it closed, word was that there was one last location of that chain still open in Houston. I went there once. It was kitchy and I thought the food was too expensive for what it was.
I heard, but have not confirmed, that the San Francisco Steakhouse is re-opend in SA. It's the same family from Mexico that owns it, but they got a professional management company to run it. I posted it to this board a few weeks ago, and the few people who posted back said it still sucked. I will try it again, soon, just to check it out.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:31 AM

50 posts, read 147,196 times
Default The fat lady is singing tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotajonmac View Post
Don't know if you heard, but Dan Cook passed away Thursday evening. Another San Antonio icon that's gone and certainly will not be forgotten.
News of Dan Cook's passing brings tears to my eyes. He was a national treasure. San Antonio's Red Barber

Joe Alston was Captain Gus, also hosted the Friday night Shock Theater. E-gor's Chamber of TV Horror Hosts List of Names starting with H

Facs corn chips tasted more like corn and weren't a salty as Fritos. Their Chilies chips were my favorites, but Frito bought them out.

Walter Corrigan bought Red Berry's place and I believe lived there until his death.

I still have a speaker from the Alamo Drive-In.

Naples Restaurant on Broadway: The first one was up by Hung Fong, if you parked in back, you walked in through the kitchen. Took my first dinner date there (the second restaurant farther south on Broadway near Christie's) in high school. When I started to pay the cashier, she waved me off, saying "it was taken care of." I always thought my father had done it, but he later denied it. So it must have been Ralph Broncuzio (sp.) owner, head chef. Great food, great man.

Anyone remember drag racing on Locke Hill-Selma, between Wetmore and Bitters? Wetmore was still a country crossroads then. The first Frontier next to the Witte Museum? The Alligator Gardens on the north side of the Witte. Zoo director Fred Stark on Saturday morning TV.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:54 AM

22 posts, read 50,047 times
Default naples

Naples was great; they tried to re- open and it failed - ralphs kids in the late 90's .I remember in th 70's there was a big storm and their sign blew away ; I think Jim's signended up on Naples roof - Does anyone remember . Also there was a fancy restaurant on Broadway that was called Arthurs it was great and very pretty .

Old 07-07-2008, 09:00 AM

24 posts, read 77,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Hey one have a question for you, their used to be a handy andy at the corner of west ave and blanco. Was that the only store there at the time, or was there other stores attached to it?
I don't remember a Handy Andy at West Ave and Blanco, but I remember the one at West Ave and Basse... is that the one you mean. If so, I believe that Handy Andy was the only store there up until about 1969 or 70 when they began to add on. Remember Denison's furniture store just north of Handy Andy at West Ave and Basse?

Old 07-07-2008, 06:38 PM

5 posts, read 10,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwideglide View Post
This is a pretty dated post, but since I still see you active, I'll reply. I have been wanting to post some memories about Central Park Mall anyway, so now is as good a time as any. The tie-in here is that you bet I remmber Mickey Mantle's place, and the only location I know of in SA was in Cetral Park! It was located in an exterior store that faced Loop 410, just outside of the mall entrace to Dilllards. My mom and grandmother took me and my brother there just after it opened when Mickey was there making an appearance. I was so young that I didn't know who he was, but my mom made me walk over to him anyway for an autograph. I still have it! The place didn't last too long, and here is the really weird part - I worked in the same location in the late '70's when it was a Radio Shack! It still had the same outside decor! Just inside was NY Pizza, who made some of the best calzones and sausage rolls I have eaten.

A few obscure memories of the old Central Park:

1) Anyone remember the very short-lived cafeteria there named "Britainy Buffet?'"It was on the north side of the mall, advertised gormet food, and had aquariums in the dining area.
2) Remember the hamburger and roast beef restaurant on the south side of the mall by Sears? I think it was owned by Jim's, and the front part was the hamburger plae, and the back part by the parking lot was called "The Beef Barron". My family ate there a lot, and way before Arby's.
3) Remember the "Orange Julius" that was upstairs outside of Sears (I think)?
4) Remember shopping at "House of Jeans"? They had advertising T-shirts with old movie stars wearing jeans like "Jean" Harlowe & Norma "Jean". HA!

Hopefully these are some rather offbeat memories of CP that some will recall. See ya.
Since I'm new to this discussion, please forgive me if I repeat things that have already been talked about. I seem to remember that there was a radio station that broadcasted from CPM. You could stand outside the mall and look into the broadcast booth. I think it was on the side opposite of Loop 410 in one of those big office buildings. Am I right? and if so does anyone remember which station?
I also remember school clothes shopping at the Sears one year and were totally shocked to run into our cousins from Odessa doing the same thing. They were going to surprise us, but wanted to get there school shopping done first.
Finally, I remember applying for a job at the Santikos Theatres main office.(I think there office was at CPM, but maybe it was Northstar). I thought that would be the coolest job ever.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:09 PM

2,355 posts, read 5,404,226 times
Anyone read the article in Sunday's Express news about the places that have closed in the last 30 years.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,121,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I heard, but have not confirmed, that the San Francisco Steakhouse is re-opend in SA.

I will try it again, soon, just to check it out.
You're right. The re-opening was confirmed in today's Express-News.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:03 PM

2,355 posts, read 5,404,226 times
Good to see what it is back, they say the menu will stay the same.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:50 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,176,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Hey one have a question for you, their used to be a handy andy at the corner of west ave and blanco. Was that the only store there at the time, or was there other stores attached to it?
The Handy Andy was where the Marshalls is today. I remember that whole rock shopping center was there...but you actually could walk the length of the mall on the inside (Much like Colonies North Mall). I remember there was TG&Y or a Winns also in that mall. I think there was fabric store too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or