Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 11:57 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Is that over by the stockyards cafe?
That big White building was called the " Institute ". The Union Stockyards were right across San Marcos St. The stockyard and commision company offices were in there. Down in the basement there was a Western wear shop & a bar called the " Rathskeller ". The Stockyards Cafe had pretty good food back when I worked there. For about $1.50 you could get a really good breakfast. The bar was probably named after one in the Gunter or one of the older hotels downtown. I still have two nickel silver rodeo buckles from the Western wear shop.

Carlton Hagelstein Jr. was the owner or head man anyway. Roland Jonas was the Bookeeper. Knew both of them. I Used to take everyone their paychecks.

Last edited by SATX56; 07-25-2008 at 01:12 PM..

Old 07-25-2008, 03:53 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
Very cool, hope it revives the area a bit.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:54 PM

Did anyone notice it's Friday night? When the scientific and the terrifylng emerge.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:29 PM

Did everyone hit the road for the weekend?

Old 07-26-2008, 01:57 PM

25 posts, read 62,370 times
I'm busy taking as much pics as I can, I'm going back home to Colorado. To much dismay to my wife, I am visiting every single place I can think of. Cause first off, I don't know when I'll be back and secondly, places like Windsor and Crossroads Mall, some childhood haunts, Rocky's ballroom, some schools, the closed and burnt remains of Hot Wells Springs...etc... might not be here when I come back. I've learned from my mistakes when I was a kid, teen, young adult, I've don't remember how Central or Windsor Park Mall looked like or how the old elephant part of the zoo looked like cause I never took pictures...well I'm doing it now. Oh, by the way...I'm trying to get into Windsor Park mall to get some pics before they do what ever they do to it. But having a hard time convincing the owners to let me in. I'll let you know what happens...hopefully with some pics.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:29 PM

141 posts, read 508,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Was there another one there with the falling bread? I think I do remember that one. I'd completely forgotten that one.
yeah, that rotating old Butter Crust sign is still there, but now it's a Grande Communications (i think) sign that has a rotating odometer indicating how fast their internet goes...it goes okay, as i have it at home... i see it every morning on my way to work, and every day on my way home. man i love this city.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:34 PM

141 posts, read 508,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknight6662005 View Post
I'm busy taking as much pics as I can, I'm going back home to Colorado. To much dismay to my wife, I am visiting every single place I can think of. Cause first off, I don't know when I'll be back and secondly, places like Windsor and Crossroads Mall, some childhood haunts, Rocky's ballroom, some schools, the closed and burnt remains of Hot Wells Springs...etc... might not be here when I come back. I've learned from my mistakes when I was a kid, teen, young adult, I've don't remember how Central or Windsor Park Mall looked like or how the old elephant part of the zoo looked like cause I never took pictures...well I'm doing it now. Oh, by the way...I'm trying to get into Windsor Park mall to get some pics before they do what ever they do to it. But having a hard time convincing the owners to let me in. I'll let you know what happens...hopefully with some pics.
darknight, i completely feel your pain...lol...i truly wish that i had taken pictures of things when i was growing up, especially my old hangouts...for example, the only "memory" that i have of the former Mr. Gatti's Pizza that was on Blanco and Parliament (now a laundromat as of the late 90's) are some photos of my 18th birthday party...yes, i had a birthday party there...lol but i had to oblige my parents one last time before i stopped listening to them... but we rented out the party room in the back and at the time my friends and i were huge fans of DUMB AND DUMBER so we all ate pizza and quoted along to the movie...it was great. but i also should have taken pics of Windsor, Central and McCreeles when i had the chance. i too am starting to record my places a little better these days. have a great trip back and don't be a stranger.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexkwandosatx View Post
yeah, that rotating old Butter Crust sign is still there, but now it's a Grande Communications (i think) sign that has a rotating odometer indicating how fast their internet goes...it goes okay, as i have it at home... i see it every morning on my way to work, and every day on my way home. man i love this city.
Is that sign over the bridge that is over San Pedro Just north of Hildebrand?
And, does it still flood under there? I had forgotten that one until reminded.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:06 AM

5 posts, read 19,529 times
Hello sirs,
i have lived in san antonio once, in late 1986-99, i have relatives there and when my parents and us used to live in Junction, we would drive down there in the 70s , i remember going down Bandera rd and seeing NOTHING between Loop 1604 and Loop 410 except for the TOWERS of radiostation KKYX 680 off to the left of uss driving intoS.A. I also remember going past a Piggly-Wiggly as we climbed into S.A just past Loop 410 on Bandera. i also remember something else most might not. We would stop at a store on Old Hwy 90 called Bens Supermarket and buy some bulk weiners, think they were made by Roegelein???,OOOOH i loooveod those franks, they had a verrry red skin, would leach(lol)the water red when they were cooked, and had a flavor that i have been UNABLE to find since then. I wonder if they are still being made and where i could find them?? anyone know?? also, i do remember in the mid 80's there was still no trafficon 1604 almost anywhere, now its nuts, soo much developement everywere(sighs).

Old 07-27-2008, 07:20 AM

5 posts, read 19,529 times
Default Centenos Grocery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Since we are talking grocery stores who can forget Centeno's super markets.
hmm, i remember going to Centenos Grocery as a young child way back in the late 70s, think it was on Castroville Rd??, i know It was HUGE. i used to shop at the one on Commerce before it closed, bought a LOT of music there i STILL have on cassettes. I remember a store on Flores called SUPER SAVER FOODS, and also WAREHOUSE GROCEY. I also remember Handy Andy , always thought they were a bit overpriced.

Last edited by jesus316; 07-27-2008 at 08:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio