Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2008, 11:10 PM

24 posts, read 91,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1313 View Post
That Winn's was there way back in the 70's because I remember it as a little kid. It was in the Allena Village shopping center. There was an HEB, Winns, some little music store, a doctor's clinic, maybe a cloth store and some other places I don't remember.
Yes, HEB and Winns both had a store in Allena Village. The music store was call Music Mart. Also, there was Kelly's barber shop and a drug store on the opposite end of HEB. I remember the drug store was called Kopechney Pharmacy (or something like that), but it was called something else before that... anyone remember?

Old 08-03-2008, 10:41 AM

24 posts, read 59,625 times
I remember a Shamrock station on Goliad, right behind it was a Whopper Burger, my mom used to drive her 59 Caddy into that station, ask for "a couple dollars worth of ethyl" get the tires checked, the windows washed, the dish or glass of the week, Green stamps, Top Value and Texas Gold, and on top of all that, rode around for a week on the 2 bucks worth of gas.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:08 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,473,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scythempress View Post
I remember a Shamrock station on Goliad, right behind it was a Whopper Burger, my mom used to drive her 59 Caddy into that station, ask for "a couple dollars worth of ethyl" get the tires checked, the windows washed, the dish or glass of the week, Green stamps, Top Value and Texas Gold, and on top of all that, rode around for a week on the 2 bucks worth of gas.
Weren't those the days!!!!!!!!!?

Old 08-03-2008, 09:50 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,399,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post
Last I saw Nonken Plaza is still there. Unfortunately Hobby Center closed in October 2006. I spent the better part of 25 years of my life supporting Hobby Center and the way it ended just wasn't right (the center's new owners basically leased the hobby shop's space out from under them; the space is now a soccer shop.)

The lot north of Nonken is where Centeno's, Paul Anderson and Mickey Finn's was. H-E-B now has the ENTIRE building - their print shop, human resources, and training center are there. I had to make a BUNCH of trips over there when I worked for them. My guess is H-E-B now owns all that.

To the south of Nonken is Goodwill but at one time Quality Furniture was there. I still remember the commercials from years ago in which the pitchman always started the spot by saying, "Howdy folks!" and ended with the phrase, "And we'll be looking for you!"

My wife and I lived off Loma Linda and Babcock (Ewing Place) after we were married and lived there for 5 years. I enjoyed the area as we lived on a fairly quiet block but the sound of gun shots every so often was a bit unnerving for her.

Macgrad89
I think Paul Anderson survived into the late 80's or early 90's.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:03 PM

905 posts, read 2,946,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scythempress View Post
LOL! I remember that station, too! My dad used to send me inside to buy him cigarettes and sometimes he'd buy himself a Big Red and me a Hershey Bar! There was a church across the street where our Girl Scout troop used to meet and I think a lumber yard next door to the gas station.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:51 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,668,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortscorner View Post
North Star was one thing in the 60's, rubber plants in the planters that went down the center of the mall (I now remember the myna birds! and was it later canaries). I also remember the Woolworth's on Alalmo Plaza and the spooky escalator 3 stories. Woolworth's had the biggest donuts, and the best. One donut was the size of your head.

I VAGUELY remember in the early 80s going to watch Disney characters perform in the middle of North Star. Does anyone else remember these shows? As for the spooky elevator...I'm pretty sure they use it in the Ripley's haunted house in the old Woolworth building. That elevator is AWESOME! makes the haunted house very cool.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:22 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,473,948 times
So , Who went to see the " chimp " down in Neisner's basement late 50's early 60's?

Old 08-04-2008, 12:06 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,399,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
I VAGUELY remember in the early 80s going to watch Disney characters perform in the middle of North Star. Does anyone else remember these shows? As for the spooky elevator...I'm pretty sure they use it in the Ripley's haunted house in the old Woolworth building. That elevator is AWESOME! makes the haunted house very cool.
I remember them i think in the late 70's and early 80's, it was by the HEB.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,992 times
Red face Gone But not forgotten!

I remember going to the beloved Frost Bros. with my mom on Saturdays and visiting Dennis Jewelry downtown when George Dennis was just a little jeweler with a tiny shop.

Also, does anyone remember Sill's Snack Shack on the Austin Highway, The Ize Box, Scrivener's, Joske's (holiday window and the camellia room)

How about Mrs. Schneider's Bakery-oh how yummy that was!

I can still taste the cinnamon rolls of Scrivener's (now available at Order Up in Lincoln Heights), but the atmosphere isn't quite the same.

HyMarcus and Elliots were the place to shop for boys clothes and you could find exactly what you needed for boys to look like boys not hoodlums.

Now with Talbots closing as well, we are going to only have Sugarplum Dreams left to shop for children's clothes that don't look like hoochie mamas and gangsters.

I LOVED Little Hips Bubble Room. What fun. Now you can get the shypoke eggs at Timbo's.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:40 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,668,779 times
I'd love to see old pics of Frost Bros. and Joske's interiors! Please post!! (Hopefully I didn't miss it in our gigantazoid thread)

Last edited by Buffyfan; 08-04-2008 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: mispelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio