U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-24-2007, 11:49 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,342 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I remember Edge Falls. I used to go camping along the river and went several times with my boyfriend and his family. It was so beautiful there. My sister is 10 years younger than me and she remembers our family going there once when she was about 4 years old (1968). Fast forward about 30 years and a doctor I worked with said he owned that ranch. Don't know if he was telling the truth as he was a little demented by then! I would love to go back. We also lived on the Kirsche (sp) ranch for a while in the 60's, just outside Boerne. The only thing in Boerne that I remember from that time was a small general store with a gas pump outside, and a small motel that we stayed at. Oh so many memories are coming back. I was in 2nd grade and we could buy chocolate milk for mid-morning snack for 2 cents.

 
Old 03-25-2007, 12:05 AM
 
Location: Nashville/Hermitage, TN
3 posts, read 13,654 times
Reputation: 13
Does Dan Cook still do sports for channel 5?
 
Old 03-25-2007, 07:09 AM
 
10,523 posts, read 12,733,337 times
Reputation: 3864
I remember Kiddie City. It was a very large toy store on the inner access road near 410 and McCullough. Next to it was the Sports Palace, which had bowling alleys, arcade games, roller skating rink, and I can't remember what else. Next to that was the large triangle shaped office building.

These places were roughly located where the cajun, steak and Red Lobster restaurants are now.
 
Old 03-25-2007, 06:15 PM
 
2,356 posts, read 5,421,330 times
Reputation: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I remember the Tandy leather store at Wonderland, but I never went there. I never understood the Tandy / Radio Shack connection. What was the association between leather and electronics?

The grocery store at North Star mall was there well into the 1970's. I remember a little side shop to the store where you could buy products with green stamps.

From the Central Park mall Handy Andy I remember these things:
1. The smiling sun face high on the wall.
2. The lobster tank.
3. The delicatessen.
4. The little bookstore in the back corner, near the mall access.
5. The clerk would take the plastic number from your shopping basket and give it to you to hang on your rearview mirror so they could bring you your groceries when you were ready to leave the mall. One time we got home with someone elses groceries. I remember they had cooler stuff like candy that my mom rarely bought.

Question- Where in Central Park Mall was Handy Andy located? What year did it close?
 
Old 03-25-2007, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Manitou Springs
170 posts, read 708,855 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellehubcap View Post
OMGaw!!! I danced on Jammin

How lame..
Wasn't that taped at the teen club called Image (or Images) located at Crossroads I believe....or at that time maybe it was considered Wonderland Mall. My friends and I would go to Images...I even saw Menudo there!!!

It was cool at the time but sounds awfully lame now...hehehehhee.
 
Old 03-25-2007, 06:40 PM
 
Location: converse
469 posts, read 1,025,841 times
Reputation: 531
No, he retired from KENS in 2000



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer32 View Post
Does Dan Cook still do sports for channel 5?
 
Old 03-25-2007, 06:41 PM
 
10,523 posts, read 12,733,337 times
Reputation: 3864
Handy Andy must have closed in the early 80's, shortly before the food court came in to that area. It was on the upper level in the center of the mall facing 410. The carpoot/pickup area was converted into a valet parking station for a giant multi-club area that was there in the 90's. The clubs also utilized the Handy Andy (or mall) basement. One of them was called Country Down Under because it was in the basement. (I went into the basement one time as a kid when I needed to use the restroom. I guess they didn't have a regular public restroom, or else it was closed that day. It was like a huge dark warehouse. I'm surprised my mom let me go down there.)
 
Old 03-25-2007, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Indianapolis
305 posts, read 1,423,210 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The carpoot/pickup area was converted into a valet parking station for a giant multi-club area that was there in the 90's. The clubs also utilized the Handy Andy (or mall) basement. One of them was called Country Down Under because it was in the basement.
I remember a club called Broad Street. I think they had valet parking. This would be in the mid 80 time frame.
 
Old 03-25-2007, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Nashville/Hermitage, TN
3 posts, read 13,654 times
Reputation: 13
Yeah and when they closed is when that 3 in 1 club with the country down under section opened. I remember me and a few friends wanted to go there when a friend turned 21, so we go after midnight and they wouldn't let him in.
 
Old 03-26-2007, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Arlington
15 posts, read 82,716 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I remember the Tandy leather store at Wonderland, but I never went there. I never understood the Tandy / Radio Shack connection. What was the association between leather and electronics?

The grocery store at North Star mall was there well into the 1970's. I remember a little side shop to the store where you could buy products with green stamps.

From the Central Park mall Handy Andy I remember these things:
1. The smiling sun face high on the wall.
2. The lobster tank.
3. The delicatessen.
4. The little bookstore in the back corner, near the mall access.
5. The clerk would take the plastic number from your shopping basket and give it to you to hang on your rearview mirror so they could bring you your groceries when you were ready to leave the mall. One time we got home with someone elses groceries. I remember they had cooler stuff like candy that my mom rarely bought.

Radio Shack was born from the founders of Tandy Leather. Tandy Leather started back in 1919 as a shoe findings company (supplies for cobblers). Tandy Leather branched into the leathercraft hobbyists business in 1951 when Charles Tandy saw the potential in the craft from veterans in rehab hospitals.

In the late 50s, Charles Tandy learned of a mail-order electronics company in the northeast. He decided to buy that company and brought them to Fort Worth......thus Radio Shack today. Tandy Leather was always Charles's first love but the big bucks were in electronics. When Charles passed away in the late 70s, the two companies were spun off. Radio Shack being Tandy Corp and Tandy Leather being Tandycrafts Inc. At one time, Tandy also owned Color Tile, Wolf's Nursery and Pier 1 Imports.

Tandycrafts went belly up in 1999. Tandy Leather was purchased by Leather Factory.....they have a store off of Bandera & Loop 410 and another on Walzem Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top