Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2008, 11:48 AM

86 posts, read 394,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by npjohnso View Post
I sure remember Floyds Dairy Bar, you could get 6 hamburgers for a buck. They had the best malts around, and across the street was the Park-Air Drive Inn, and Bill Miller started his empire from that same location. I can remember going to Miller's when he sold only chicken eggs by the carton. My favoritte hang out as a kid was the Highland Hill's Pharmacy, not too far away. I'm going back to the late 50's and 60's...This is my first reply on this site, hope it comes thru okay....
My best friend and I went to Highland Hills Pharmacy a lot, too. We would sit at the counter and have a coke and I loved those little cheese crackers. Then we would look at all the magazines on the other side of the store. Sometimes I would have enough money to buy a Seventeen mag. Then we would go to Ben Franklins and maybe get some Tangee lipstickLOL

Old 08-20-2008, 09:47 PM

136 posts, read 331,858 times
Default Highland Hills Pharmacy

That was the one right across the street from the bowling alley, right? I used to go over and read all the horror comics my Mom wouldn't let me buy while she bowled. The was a Dairy Queen on the corner by the RR tracks, too.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:53 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
That was the one right across the street from the bowling alley, right? I used to go over and read all the horror comics my Mom wouldn't let me buy while she bowled. The was a Dairy Queen on the corner by the RR tracks, too.
RR tracks in Highlands near the bowling alley?? What RR tracks?

Old 08-20-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
RR tracks in Highlands near the bowling alley?? What RR tracks?
Bowling alley was near the corner of Westfall and S. New Braunfels, tracks were UPAC, I'd imagine. The tracks are just north of I-35 now. I lived on Schley Ave. a few blocks further south, until I joined the Navy in '61.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Bowling alley was near the corner of Westfall and S. New Braunfels, tracks were UPAC, I'd imagine. The tracks are just north of I-35 now. I lived on Schley Ave. a few blocks further south, until I joined the Navy in '61.
I'm sorry, thought you meant way down Goliad south of Pecan Valley. 1961 wow that's way back. I had no idea there was ever a bowling alley near that area. Do you mean north of I-10(90) or I-35 near Fort Sam? You don't mean the bowling alley's in the old school St. Gerards? Westfall is just north of the tracks .1st street. Schley is 5 or 6 blks. south or rr tracks and freeway. The Dairy Queen is long gone . I didn't remember there being one there. But, there has been a fast food local in what's probably the old DQ bldg. There's a good sized bldg next to it maybe that was a bowling alley. Before my time of recollection. Was Pappy Brigman's t.v. shop across the street then?

Last edited by SATX56; 08-20-2008 at 11:14 PM..

Old 08-21-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, thought you meant way down Goliad south of Pecan Valley. 1961 wow that's way back. I had no idea there was ever a bowling alley near that area. Do you mean north of I-10(90) or I-35 near Fort Sam? You don't mean the bowling alley's in the old school St. Gerards? Westfall is just north of the tracks .1st street. Schley is 5 or 6 blks. south or rr tracks and freeway. The Dairy Queen is long gone . I didn't remember there being one there. But, there has been a fast food local in what's probably the old DQ bldg. There's a good sized bldg next to it maybe that was a bowling alley. Before my time of recollection. Was Pappy Brigman's t.v. shop across the street then?
You're right, the tracks are just north of I-10, not 35. The bowling alley building was still there when I was back for a visit with my family in 2004. It's on the Essex street end of the block, and was a lawnmower repair shop, I think. My Mom and Dad moved to San Antonio after the war in '47. We lived on the corner of Delmar and Gevers. I remember our neighbor was a real estate salesman and bought a Tucker to drive his clients around town. He paid me a dollar to wash it twice a week. My older brothers went to Brackenridge, I went to St. Gerards. Don't know about the TV shop, but I don't think so since there were almost no TV's around then. My Dad and one brother built our first TV from a kit in '54.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
You're right, the tracks are just north of I-10, not 35. The bowling alley building was still there when I was back for a visit with my family in 2004. It's on the Essex street end of the block, and was a lawnmower repair shop, I think. My Mom and Dad moved to San Antonio after the war in '47. We lived on the corner of Delmar and Gevers. I remember our neighbor was a real estate salesman and bought a Tucker to drive his clients around town. He paid me a dollar to wash it twice a week. My older brothers went to Brackenridge, I went to St. Gerards. Don't know about the TV shop, but I don't think so since there were almost no TV's around then. My Dad and one brother built our first TV from a kit in '54.
That's all very interesting, your probably about 10 years older than me. I got around a lot though. Had an uncle lived on Rigsby maybe 40 yrs. Had another uncle who once lived on Westfall possibly that far back. Do you remember a bowling alley in St Gerards? I know me and neighbor kids went there maybe early 60's.

Last edited by SATX56; 08-21-2008 at 06:48 PM..

Old 08-21-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
That's all very interesting, your probably about 10 years older than me. I got around a lot though. Had an uncle lived on Rigsby maybe 40 yrs. Had another uncle who once lived on Westfall possibly that far back. Do you remember a bowling alley in St Gerards? I know me and neighbor kids went there maybe early 60's.
I knew there was an alley there, but I never went. Mom was the bowler in the family. In addition to the Highland Bowl, she bowled at the San Pedro (which was really odd in that it was in the second floor off the building), and at the Texas, which caught fire one night while we were there. We couldn't get to the car because of the fire hoses, so we watched it burn right down to the ground. Wow ! What a sight that was.

San Antonio was a great place to grow up in, though. We walked or biked all over and never worried about anything. We'd bike over to the big pool at Roosevelt park in the summer and spend the whole day there, or go to the theater on So. Hackberry and Highland Ave. and see three movies and a bunch of serials and cartoons for a dollar. First job was pumping gas at a Sinclair station at Fair Ave and Nopal St. Fifty cents an hour and a tank of gas a week.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I knew there was an alley there, but I never went. Mom was the bowler in the family. In addition to the Highland Bowl, she bowled at the San Pedro (which was really odd in that it was in the second floor off the building), and at the Texas, which caught fire one night while we were there. We couldn't get to the car because of the fire hoses, so we watched it burn right down to the ground. Wow ! What a sight that was.

San Antonio was a great place to grow up in, though. We walked or biked all over and never worried about anything. We'd bike over to the big pool at Roosevelt park in the summer and spend the whole day there, or go to the theater on So. Hackberry and Highland Ave. and see three movies and a bunch of serials and cartoons for a dollar. First job was pumping gas at a Sinclair station at Fair Ave and Nopal St. Fifty cents an hour and a tank of gas a week.
Wow! San Pedro upstairs? Texas bowling alley? Those most likely weren't around long after you left. The Highland theater was apparently taken by hwy 90. There is a photo of it floating around . I probably downloaded it but wouldn't know how to post it. Click on the paper clip next to this thread in threads list. I used to go swimming at Roosevelt Park late 50's early 60's. Those were the days!

Old 08-21-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Wow! San Pedro upstairs? Texas bowling alley? Those most likely weren't around long after you left. The Highland theater was apparently taken by hwy 90. There is a photo of it floating around . I probably downloaded it but wouldn't know how to post it. Click on the paper clip next to this thread in threads list. I used to go swimming at Roosevelt Park late 50's early 60's. Those were the days!
San Pedro alley was in the same building as the San Pedro theater, but on the other end. I think there was a Luby's across the street.

Sometimes on a weekend my Dad would get all the kids in the neighborhood in our panel truck and take us all to Mission stadium to watch a baseball game. Big wooden stadium, built in about '46. Was on Mission road, not too far from Roosevelt park.

Other times we'd go to an arena I can't recall the name of and watch professional wrestling. "Dangerous Danny" McShane lived down the street from us and had a ring set up in his back yard. We'd go down and watch them rehearse the matches on Wednesdays, and then see them in the arena on Friday night. All the big names were there; Georgous George, Haystack McGee, Mr. Fabulous. Loved the names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio