U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-26-2008, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Arlington, Virginia
64 posts, read 372,275 times
Reputation: 40

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
That's the one! It had like a half floor upstairs balcony. I always remembered it being across the street from the Majestic. But, my mother says it was next door. I recall going to movies at the Majestic then to Manhattan. We always sat upstairs. Think dad usually got stuffed crab. The owners of Sea Island once owned Manhattan I believe. Think there are photos of interior of Manhattan. Click on paper clip to the right of this thread on threads list.
Well, I almost hate to say it, but your mother is absolutely right!! I'll check out the photo you cited - also I have a post card showing the inside.

 
Old 08-26-2008, 01:21 PM
 
4,796 posts, read 13,710,851 times
Reputation: 2709
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
The "Mexiteria" Maury Maverick was mayor back late 20' early 30's. He is responsible for the term "Maverick"
I remember Naples.

Satx....you're right about the term "Maverick" coming from the Maverick family, but I believe it goes back further than Maury. I'm sure I have some details incorrect, but it was either Samuel Maverick or one of his sons that became huge land speculators and owners after the Texas Revolution. Because of his vast land holdings and quickly increasing wealth, he also was an early banker. In those days, he often would take "specie" (gold bullion, silver coin) or even trade for livestock. These cattle were not branded, and lands were sort of free range before fencing and barbed wire were prevalent. As cattle herders came across any unbranded cattle, they would say "that must be a "Maverick". So the wayward or rebellious association with that word evolved.

I hope someone can correct me on any details I have off.....flying by "the seat" as usual!
 
Old 08-26-2008, 01:21 PM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,159 posts, read 53,997,969 times
Reputation: 163212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickZ View Post
Well, I almost hate to say it, but your mother is absolutely right!! I'll check out the photo you cited - also I have a post card showing the inside.
Yeah, I have since seen that it was next door. I didn't see the stairs in the photo. I know it was on the right and you had to go in aways to get to it.
 
Old 08-26-2008, 01:27 PM
 
4,796 posts, read 13,710,851 times
Reputation: 2709
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgepwebster View Post
R
You guys never heard of Maury Maverick Fong? The neon flags on the ceiling are a San Antonio treasure.

?
You're talking about Mavericks "Seafood, Mexican and Chinese" Restaraunt? On the corner of San Pedro and ???Oblate? I always thought that was the craziest combination....but it always looked packed. It just changed hands in the last year or two. I always loved to point it out when we had friends from out of town....a bit of unique to SA local color!
 
Old 08-26-2008, 01:28 PM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,159 posts, read 53,997,969 times
Reputation: 163212
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Satx....you're right about the term "Maverick" coming from the Maverick family, but I believe it goes back further than Maury. I'm sure I have some details incorrect, but it was either Samuel Maverick or one of his sons that became huge land speculators and owners after the Texas Revolution. Because of his vast land holdings and quickly increasing wealth, he also was an early banker. In those days, he often would take "specie" (gold bullion, silver coin) or even trade for livestock. These cattle were not branded, and lands were sort of free range before fencing and barbed wire were prevalent. As cattle herders came across any unbranded cattle, they would say "that must be a "Maverick". So the wayward or rebellious association with that word evolved.

I hope someone can correct me on any details I have off.....flying by "the seat" as usual!
Like I've said before, if I only had a memory! I've read all that story Ijust lose the details. Red Berry is another one of interest. I remember talk of him as I was growing up. Had no idea he had the "speak easy" home on Gembler. What a story I read on that place! Did they make a museum out of it or just give tours?
 
Old 08-26-2008, 01:32 PM
 
4,796 posts, read 13,710,851 times
Reputation: 2709
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Like I've said before, if I only had a memory! I've read all that story Ijust lose the details. Red Berry is another one of interest. I remember talk of him as I was growing up. Had no idea he had the "speak easy" home on Gembler. What a story I read on that place! Did they make a museum out of it or just give tours?
My dau recently attended a wedding there. They've turned it into a beautiful venue for parties, weddings receptions. Let me find the web site...

here it is:

The Red Berry Mansion on the Lake
 
Old 08-26-2008, 03:09 PM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,159 posts, read 53,997,969 times
Reputation: 163212
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
My dau recently attended a wedding there. They've turned it into a beautiful venue for parties, weddings receptions. Let me find the web site...

here it is:

The Red Berry Mansion on the Lake
Thanks cat, hadn't seen this one. Remember talk of use for weddings and such. Didn't he win a bet on a horse race to acquire the mansion or the $$ ?
 
Old 08-26-2008, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Ma.
136 posts, read 265,086 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I bought my first bike from James Bicycles in 1972 . A Dawes Galaxy and it cost almost two hundred bucks. I bought my most recent bike from James Bicycles in 2005. It is a Diamondback Century and it cost over five hundred bucks.
LOL. my Dad bought my first bike in 1947 at a Western Auto store (remember those?) on the corner of Gevers and Rigsby. Big ole' Schwinn with enough metal in it to make a Buick. One gear, fat tires. I wish I had it now, it's probably be worth ore than the Diamondback now.
 
Old 08-26-2008, 06:10 PM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,159 posts, read 53,997,969 times
Reputation: 163212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
LOL. my Dad bought my first bike in 1947 at a Western Auto store (remember those?) on the corner of Gevers and Rigsby. Big ole' Schwinn with enough metal in it to make a Buick. One gear, fat tires. I wish I had it now, it's probably be worth ore than the Diamondback now.
Don't think I ever had a new bike. Probably just as well as often as they got stolen. Western Auto was still around 'til just a few years back. White's Auto is remembered by fewer people. White's and Western Auto's were the forerunners of a lot of businesses.
 
Old 08-26-2008, 06:12 PM
 
4,796 posts, read 13,710,851 times
Reputation: 2709
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Thanks cat, hadn't seen this one. Remember talk of use for weddings and such. Didn't he win a bet on a horse race to acquire the mansion or the $$ ?
Here's a link to the history. It's quite interesting....started out in the military as an MP!


http://www.redberrymansion.com/history.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:51 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top