Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 07:18 AM

55 posts, read 137,943 times

Advertisements

Can't remember right off. Now the shoe repair shop was in the same building as Howell's, but Harlandale Cleaners was across Tennessee on the Northwest corner of the intersection. The large corner door of the cleaners was always open, and a Mr.
Wilkes helped run the place.... he always had a cigar stub in the corner of his mouth.
I'll need to research what was in between Winn's and Western Auto. Thank goodness for older siblings.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:53 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco Joe View Post
Can't remember right off. Now the shoe repair shop was in the same building as Howell's, but Harlandale Cleaners was across Tennessee on the Northwest corner of the intersection. The large corner door of the cleaners was always open, and a Mr.
Wilkes helped run the place.... he always had a cigar stub in the corner of his mouth.
I'll need to research what was in between Winn's and Western Auto. Thank goodness for older siblings.
Older buddies too! Oh! Now I see, you're saying Red & White was in the 1st floor of the Harlandale Apartment Bldg. The bldg been remodeled recently and named Harlandale Apts. Come to find out that was it's original name. But in my years I don't recall it having a name. So R&W were probably in the front middle of bldg. In my memory it was Deloit's Pool Hall then the slot car tracks. The cleaners was always there in the NW corner. So across from the cleaners and barber shop was Western Auto , correct??

Old 08-28-2008, 12:09 PM

64 posts, read 431,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post
Let's see...

The new Mac campus is nice but I sure miss the charm of the old one. Nothing like trying to get from one side of campus to the other in 8 minutes in the rain with few covered routes. Of course, 50 years ago it was two campuses (Northeast High and Northeast Jr. High) next to each other before Garner was built in 1962 and both campuses were merged to make one big Mac.
So what happened to the old Mac campus?

Old 08-28-2008, 12:12 PM

64 posts, read 431,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
... So R&W were probably in the front middle of bldg. In my memory it was Deloit's Pool Hall then the slot car tracks. ...
Was that Deloit's Pool Hall you're talking about on South Flores? They had some really good hamburgers there.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:15 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickZ View Post
So what happened to the old Mac campus?
It's still there.....just totally remodeled. 2000 was the year the new campus project was completed. I'll see if I can find a link. If not Smuboy will probably know where to get it!

Old 08-28-2008, 12:50 PM

55 posts, read 137,943 times
Satx that is correct. Deloits pool hall was for my oldest brother and his "hoodlum" friends, (according to my mom) at the time. The pool hall was a later addition to that building. When they remodeled it, I got some of the old tin stamped ceiling tile as a souvenier... sent two pieces to my sister in North Carolina, and she boxed them up to put on her wall. She is as goofy as I am about those old days and buildings. The building had apartments upstairs. Seemed too dark and spooky to explore as a very young boy, but my buds and I did venture slowly up the creaky stairs passed closed and locked apartment doors on a few occasions... a la the Hardy Boys or Charlie Chan's number one sons.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco Joe View Post
Satx that is correct. Deloits pool hall was for my oldest brother and his "hoodlum" friends, (according to my mom) at the time. The pool hall was a later addition to that building. When they remodeled it, I got some of the old tin stamped ceiling tile as a souvenier... sent two pieces to my sister in North Carolina, and she boxed them up to put on her wall. She is as goofy as I am about those old days and buildings. The building had apartments upstairs. Seemed too dark and spooky to explore as a very young boy, but my buds and I did venture slowly up the creaky stairs passed closed and locked apartment doors on a few occasions... a la the Hardy Boys or Charlie Chan's number one sons.
I've got a photo of a constable 's office at the rear corner of the bldg. North side of bldg. With a pinball machine in it!! Man if it ain't donuts!!

Old 08-28-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickZ View Post
Was that Deloit's Pool Hall you're talking about on South Flores? They had some really good hamburgers there.
Don't recall burgers, they had two locations at different times. Later they moved down Flores just north of Probandt. They didn't sell alcohol, that's why we could go there. I'd like to find someone who remembers Art's Drive in near St Leo's Church. Or Stein's Drug store. 50's early 60's

Old 08-28-2008, 09:32 PM

91 posts, read 323,678 times
Default Old MacArthur High campus

Dick Z,

The old MacArthur High campus has gone the way of the wrecking ball. Work began in July 1999 and finished in 2002-2003. The only thing left of the old campus is the auditorium/cafeteria, band hall and field house (which is now the ROTC building). Below is a link to the Mac website showing the transformation:

Old Campus

I have an album full of photos of the old buildings being knocked down. I hope to get them scanned before my 20th anniversary reunion next year.

Macgrad89

Old 08-28-2008, 10:12 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,217 times
Macgrad89, did they cut down the old sycamore tree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio