Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 01:45 PM

34 posts, read 106,870 times

Advertisements

[quote=catriona;5618753]That pat & Gladys was where my dad loved to hang out, but there was a Spartan Atlantic store there in those days.

I don't remember the Gillespie Ford, but I do remember the Piggly Wiggly. It was on the corner of Goliad and Pecan Valley - the southwest corner, i think.

I remember Spartans it was the great when my mom would go there
would run to the toy dept ....
someone also brought up Welco on Fair use to ride my bike over there or
to McCless mall ( now it is the new HEB Plus ) (where i work) and the theater just opened last weekend there is going to be 50+ store i hear when they are all done ..... also here they maybe a police sub station to

Old 10-09-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Edgar Allen Poe is still there but in a new building since the late 1990s and St. Gerard's is still the same Catholic high school school it has always been but I'm not sure the bowling alley is still downstairs there. Seibert's Rx is long gone as is the Winns and Piggly Wiggly from that strip. There was a similar retail strip firther south some blocks where Donegan's Pharmacy sat at one end and Johnson's bakery on the other end with those wonderful orange cupcakes. Donegans also had a nice little lunch counter with fine burgers and fires in a basket plus shakes, floats, etc. Before I-10 took them all out Johnson's moved south to New Braunfels Ave. and Steves and kept making their great pastries until the late '90s. I grew up first on Cooper St. near Poe then McKinley Ave. for high school at Highlands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexkwandosatx View Post
i think you are right about the location being on Rigsby, as that was near my old stomping grounds...but i can't verify if it is still operational or if it is indeed gone, but not forgotten. but there was a place in Pecan Valley that eludes my memory at this moment...
yes it is still working just call the smokehouse now

Old 10-09-2008, 02:10 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,562,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Now see I didn't even know there was another "Pat and Gladys" ! The one we went to was on Roosevelt between Southcross and the bridge!
That's what I was thinking. The only Pat and Gladys that I remember was on Roosevelt. I remember a little coffe shop in the parking lot where Golds Gym is now only it was right out by the street but it seems like the name was something like JC's Coffee Shop or something. I beleive the Piggly Wiggly was on S. New Braunfels in the "Little McCreless" strip center.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Charge plate. I haven't heard that term in many decades. Your right that's what they were first called. I just pulled in Floyd's the other day for a Malt. They are the best. Actually it was a few months ago. The last time I looked at Floyd's is was suspiciously quiet. I hope they didn't close. If they did it wouldn't be for lack of business.
they are closed on Tuesday but still going strong on the other days
drive by at lunch or about 600pm

Old 10-09-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
I don't know if the information is out there. You may try the archives of the Express-News.

Basically, what I remember is, the school district (SAISD) closed down Wheatley HS, which was predominately African-American, and bussed them to Highlands and possibly another school. The kids from Wheatley were upset that their HS had been closed and that they were bussed off elsewhere. Highlands at the time was predominately white and hispanic, and the bad feelings that the Wheatley kids had turned into a major racial issue. I don't remember much else, other than trying to stay out of the way during passing periods for fear of either being shoved out of the way or someone grabbing my hair or one of my friends' hair and cutting it off.

Perhaps scythempress might have a better memory of what happened.

I do remember staying home from school for a few days, until everything cooled down.
this had cooled down by the time i got too Highlands (1976) but the girls that lived across the street from me and up the street they moms kept them at home for a few days ( both had long blond hair )

Old 10-09-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
My parents loved to move around. I was on Schley Ave and then Becker while attending RBG, and on Chicago at Riverside, Steves Ave for Laura Steele and then back to Lake Placid for McQueeny and moved to north side of sa on W. Craig Pl for the duration. We had LEhigh and PErshing phone exchanges.
my dad grew up on Becker he told me how they would have to move the cars up the street when it rained so it would not flood out this was in the 40' he when to Page and Brack (class 1949)

Old 10-09-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythempress View Post
Looked forward to that carnival every year. I attended KS elementary from 63 to 69 and we were the last class to attend "junior high" at the 9th grade level and then as we entered "senior high" we drug the first class of freshman with us from Harry Rogers to Highlands high.
remeber waiting to be the last grade at elementrary school ( highlands hills) but no they moved us up to Rogers.... and then we where at the bottom of the list again highlands class of 79

Old 10-09-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythempress View Post
God this is going to date me. Do yall remember when coming off Military Dr on Goliad there was Handy Dan on one side, HEB and Spartans Atlantic with a coffee shop in the parking lot on the right. Jims on the left, dow the road some more Car Vel skate rink across from Kate Shcenck elementary, Piggly Wiggley and Western Auto and across from them the Goliad Rivera Swim club and bowling alley, back across the street was Model Market, WInns 5 & dime, Ruth Ellis dance studio, Sommers, and First Mate, then on down the street, Whopper Burger and down the street and across was Floyds Dairy Bar. In the triangle that used to be the Parkaire Drive in, became Shakeys, then Shoppers World, and finally Globe, and of course Bill Millers BBQ.

yes i remember them all how about Dennson liquor store

Old 10-09-2008, 05:40 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,496,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
That's what I was thinking. The only Pat and Gladys that I remember was on Roosevelt. I remember a little coffe shop in the parking lot where Golds Gym is now only it was right out by the street but it seems like the name was something like JC's Coffee Shop or something. I beleive the Piggly Wiggly was on S. New Braunfels in the "Little McCreless" strip center.
When Tall Texan was on Military, I had no idea there was one in North Star Mall!!! I'm sure I've seen everything that was ever on Goliad to a point. Just wasn't centered in my stomping grounds(Flores Military to Division). I got around a lot but Pat & Gladys on Roosevelt was the only one I recall.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:49 PM

62 posts, read 200,785 times
I never went to Crossroads mall much, since I grew up in Universal City but I think the last time I was there was in 1995 after I graduated from high school. I remember going to Burlingto Coat Factory and buying some stuff for my dorm room at college. It was sad then, so I can't imagine it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio