U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 11:16 AM

474 posts, read 955,037 times

Advertisements

Sweetie Pie-I had some white hip hugger, bell bottoms I'm surprised they let me wear to school. Judson had a strict dress code circa 1974.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:28 AM

114,169 posts, read 54,166,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith63 View Post
I'm so glad you remember those places. My husband and I both grew up in the area around those restraunts and have many wonderful memories of places that now only exist in our memories. Wilson Field, White Cliffs, The Donkey Lady Mansion off Blanco between El Monte and San Angelo, Shackey's Pizza after an Edison football game (win or lose), The Golden Stallion (The Abbey played there every Thursday night) and the Conastoga Club, Randy's Rodeo, and so many others. After high school, we married and moved north of the loop. After 30 years of living out here, it still doesn't have the "home" feeling like the old neighborhood did. Funny, how I looked forward to moving away from home when I was young - now what I wouldn't give to go back.
The "Golden Stallion" and the "Conestoga Club" and "Randy's Rodeo" my greatest memories!!!!

Old 10-12-2008, 03:18 PM

15 posts, read 40,939 times
Default Central Park Mall aerial photo circa 1982

Found this today while doing some more research on CPM. Hope someone out there finds it interesting. On the subject of Central Park, I know several have mentioned interest in interior photos of the mall. Anybody having any luck out there?
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-central-park-mall-aerial-view-1982.jpg  

Old 10-12-2008, 03:39 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,421,330 times
I have yet to see any interior pictures of CPM, would also like to see them. Its a shame how in the early 80's it was almost close to NSM with the stores and such. Then they went in opposite directions.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Pants South. I still remember the old TV commercials where they would promote a particular style of jeans and display the price, and then a guy holding a gas dispenser nozzle comes on and says "fill 'em up!".

I'm not sure when they closed, but I think it was somewhere around 1980. The old gas station has since been torn down, and a Taco Cabana was built and is currently in operation at that site.
Remember there is to be an IHOP in front of the building that used to be La Feria at the corneR.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:42 PM

15 posts, read 37,605 times
I used go to Central Park with my friends when I was in school. There was a movie theatre across the street, I think it may have been the Fox Movie Theatre, but not sure. Then we would go across the mall and eat at either the Red Baron or Frontier and walk around the mall. We did a lot of walking but not a lot of buying. For a while I think in the late 70's cati corner behind the theatre, there was a short lived bar / dance club called Diamond Jim's. It didn't last long, but for a short while, it was a pretty hot spot to be. When my son was a baby we took him there to have pictures with Santa and throw coins in the fountain. For some reason I keep thinking there was a large carousel in the mall at one time but that just doesn't seem right. One time when my son was about 2, we were walking him through the mall (probably trying to wear him out) and there was a man with a music grinder box and a monkey dressed in a suit with a little hat. After the man would play his music the monkey would run around a collect coins from the crowd. Can you imagine we actually encouraged our children to go to the monkey and never worried about what diseases the monkey might be spreading.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annahawke View Post
Does anyone know what happened to Madame Teresa Brown? I know after her son was killed in a car wreck on Babcock and most of us were getting shut down she just dropped out of sight (well, there was that little black book thing) ?

Many years ago, I'm thinking may 20-25ish, she had a shop at the Northwest Flea Market on Fredericksburg Rd. It was the shopping center that had the JC Penny's and Pancho's Mexican Food on one end and I think there was a store called White's??? on the other end for a while. Anyway, she tried to make it a classy little shop, she sold candles and faux jewelry just stuff. I don't think she lasted long - she wasn't there the next time we were there.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I used go to Central Park with my friends when I was in school. There was a movie theatre across the street, I think it may have been the Fox Movie Theatre, but not sure. Then we would go across the mall and eat at either the Red Baron or Frontier and walk around the mall. We did a lot of walking but not a lot of buying. For a while I think in the late 70's cati corner behind the theatre, there was a short lived bar / dance club called Diamond Jim's. It didn't last long, but for a short while, it was a pretty hot spot to be. When my son was a baby we took him there to have pictures with Santa and throw coins in the fountain. For some reason I keep thinking there was a large carousel in the mall at one time but that just doesn't seem right. One time when my son was about 2, we were walking him through the mall (probably trying to wear him out) and there was a man with a music grinder box and a monkey dressed in a suit with a little hat. After the man would play his music the monkey would run around a collect coins from the crowd. Can you imagine we actually encouraged our children to go to the monkey and never worried about what diseases the monkey might be spreading.
I remember into the mid 80's CPM had a decent amount of people in there, and yes there was a carousel I would say the last 10 years of the mall being there.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Many years ago, I'm thinking may 20-25ish, she had a shop at the Northwest Flea Market on Fredericksburg Rd. It was the shopping center that had the JC Penny's and Pancho's Mexican Food on one end and I think there was a store called White's??? on the other end for a while. Anyway, she tried to make it a classy little shop, she sold candles and faux jewelry just stuff. I don't think she lasted long - she wasn't there the next time we were there.
I actually passed by there today and was thinking how many times my family ate at the Pancho's there, and of course going to Penny's afterward.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Man I miss winn's, the best popcorn and icee in town.
Before I had ever been in a Winn's, we shopped at Neisners on Blanco Rd about half way between Fresno and Basse. They had a monkey that I assume was for sale, but as far as I know he spent his whole life in that poor cage until they closed down. All the neighborhood kids would spend the summer walking around bear footed looking for bottles to cash in then buy an icee, and stand there gawking at the monkey until the manager ran us off. We also shopped at Kresses downtown. We would go down some steps into the basement and eat lunch at the counter. They had the best enchlidas in the world. Sure wish I could have them again. Later we shopped at TG&Y and Globe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or