U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2008, 08:27 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,420,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
This is the way I remember it. Northwest Center on Fred. road was built first. It had two grocery stores , a drug store, a JC Penny and two Automotive Stores. The first indoor type mall I ever went to was North Star Mall. Around 1960. They had Fallout Shelters on display. Around the same time Wonderland opened. About the same time. I remember climbing around on the hills that would become 1H10. The house my dad still lives in was built with lumber bought on fred road. 1959 and no 1H10. Dewhurst went right through to Fred. Oh yes we called Dewhurst , Da worst! It was a really bad road. I went to St. Georgories in 1960.. second grade..we found longhorn skulls on the playground!
What amazing is that the JC Penny's was there into the 90's.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:38 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,076,765 times
yes I still like to go to St.G's. I like to look at all the hoodlums I went to school with. They all look like sweet little boys! I am there but I you will never get me to tell you where.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:37 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,076,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
What amazing is that the JC Penny's was there into the 90's.
what is really amazing is that it is still an active shopping center. I live a long way but I still find a reason to go to Harbor Freight Tools . The Chinese Restaurant is a good place to eat--at least the last time I went there--I always find good stuff at the Thrift Store--and the flea market on weekends..I don't go anymore but it always looks busy

Old 11-13-2008, 10:04 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,420,833 times
Good point D, I miss that Penny's it had an old feel to it. But I remember the Pancho's there it was my favorite one. But yeah the flea market is packed on the weekends.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:50 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,789 posts, read 7,321,229 times
Just checking in...not on here as much anymore since my move out of Texas but glad to see my ol' thread is still going...it has a life of its own I guess!!

Just to stay on topic...I remember eating at that Pancho's plenty of times as a little kid...and also going with my father to the Western Auto...or at least I think it was a Western Auto. I remember the Penney's also...

Old 11-14-2008, 02:01 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,737,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Just checking in...not on here as much anymore since my move out of Texas but glad to see my ol' thread is still going...it has a life of its own I guess!!

Just to stay on topic...I remember eating at that Pancho's plenty of times as a little kid...and also going with my father to the Western Auto...or at least I think it was a Western Auto. I remember the Penney's also...
Hi there 940! I've wondered where you were! Nice of you to drop in!

Old 11-14-2008, 06:38 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,185,675 times
Default Northwest Center

I always hated going to that JC Penny's when I was little, because there was no toy department. But I remember that is where you went to pick up stuff you that you ordred from the catalog.

I remember there was a T.G.& Y at Northwest Center...if you were facing the mall...it was to the right of Panchos.

There was a "Whites"...which was similar to western auto, where the Harbor Freight is. They sold non-automotive stuff there too..I have a pair of binoculars from there.

Funny if you think about the name these days "Northwest Center"...that is hardly considered Northwest nowadays.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:00 AM

64 posts, read 373,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Well....here's one I didn't know about. Let see how old some of you guys REALLY are! BEFORE North Star Mall was built, there was another drive in theater on San Pedro! I'm serious! I'm looking at an old map and it shows it. Some of the streets were not even there yet! It was on the East side of San Pedro South of Loop 410 (called Loop 12?) and North of Oblate.

Anyone know about this drive in? According to this map, it was approxiamately where Sprucewood Drive intersects San Pedro.....but Sprucewood was not platted yet.
The San Pedro Drive-In east of San Pedro and south of the Loop (I think it was Loop 13 rather than 12 before it later became 410) was the only one I ever knew. I moved away from San Antonio in 1961, and only visit once a year now.

In the mid-1950s, my brother and I used to ride our bikes to the San Pedro Drive-In and hide them in the high weeds of the vacant lot behind the theater. We would then sneak in from the back, since there were no armed guards posted there. We lived a few blocks from North Towne Plaza (intersection of San Pedro and Oblate), so I'm pretty sure we would not have gone north of the Loop on our bikes.

Last edited by DickZ; 11-14-2008 at 09:21 AM..

Old 11-14-2008, 09:06 AM

237 posts, read 702,351 times
Dwangle, I'm pleased to learn the Nix kept its old KMAC neon clock. Neon is making a big come back here in Austin where I live. When in San Antonio recently I noticed the large neon thermometer atop the old Alamo Natl. Bank building was still lit up. Is that the original that went up and down depending on temps or something new?

Old 11-14-2008, 10:55 AM

898 posts, read 2,619,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
The Frito Bandito

Do people find the Frito Bandito offensive? I don't or have ever worked for the Frito company but I have always liked the Frito Bandito. ay ya ya ya I am the Frito Bandito I like Frito's corn chips I like them I do ..I like Fritos corn chips I take them from you. ay ya ya I am the Frito Bandito..If you like Frito's Corn chips than I'll be your friend ..The Frito Bandito you can always depend. It is all just fun I think!
I never thought the Frito Bandito was offensive. I think the ad campaign was pulled because 'someone' or 'someones' had a problem with it. Or maybe the "PC" trend was just beginning. I always thought the Bandito was kind of like Punchy the Hawaiian Punch guy. I guess no one complained about Punchy, so he still is around.... I remember when a kid had a bag of Fritos at lunch, we would all sing that jingle and then try and snatch the bag away. And, I still have one of those small pencil toppers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or