U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2008, 11:04 AM

114,159 posts, read 54,011,527 times

Advertisements

BudB and Dwangle, the KMAC clock was still there 01/2/08. I know because I was there awaiting birth of my first grandchild! I've always wondered how long it's been there! Cheers 940, nice thread! Huge understatement!

Old 11-14-2008, 12:22 PM

237 posts, read 700,365 times
I am glad to learn that the Trail was S A's second drive-in as it was a regular haunt back in high school. Then we went next door to Capn' Jim's which never closed. I just had a book published with 350 fotos from old San Antonio including a view of the Trail Drive-In toward the end of its career in the early 1980s. I read here a while back that Capn' Jim's relocated north on Roosevelt but is only the fish fry part. Is that so?

Old 11-14-2008, 02:32 PM

114,159 posts, read 54,011,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
I am glad to learn that the Trail was S A's second drive-in as it was a regular haunt back in high school. Then we went next door to Capn' Jim's which never closed. I just had a book published with 350 fotos from old San Antonio including a view of the Trail Drive-In toward the end of its career in the early 1980s. I read here a while back that Capn' Jim's relocated north on Roosevelt but is only the fish fry part. Is that so?
Hi BudB, I'm pretty sure that's correct and the Alamo on Austin Hwy 3rd I believe!! We lived directly across Military Drive in the Trail's final years.
. We could look out our back window and see the Marquee. Just before they destroyed it they repaired all the neon and paint on the Marquee! They did a nationwide Lincoln - Mercury Commercial which included it. Soon afterwards looked out kitchen window it was gone!! Sad. Yes, old Cap't Jim's I miss it! It had a Fried chicken (take out only) in it's later years. It was attached to the rear of the bldg. When they shut down the restaurant the fried chicken outfit moved. They relocated on Roosevelt between the old location and the old bowling alley. About 1/2 a block in other words!

Old 11-14-2008, 03:54 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,070,615 times
There was a Liquor Store on San Pedro near Hildebrand that had a KMAC neon clock too. It was north of the Butterkrust bread sign. The Peppermint lounge was right there too. In the early eighties they knocked down the Peppermint lounge and built an Auto Parts Place. The guys in the liquor store would always say " From body parts to auto parts"!! All long gone but not forgotten!

Old 11-14-2008, 05:29 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,712,616 times
This is what I'm picturing from my childhood when someone mentioned 'the Chief" drive in. I don't know if I was ever in Topeka, but we traveled a LOT across the South, Midwest, Southwest and Western states. Maybe I dreamed it....or just saw a picture. That's highly probable. There were apparently a lot of drive ins named "the Chief"....just not one in SA!

Scroll down to the bottom right picture....

Google Image Result for http://www.roadsidepeek.com/roadusa/greatplains/gpdrivein/chiefditopekaks-2.jpg

Old 11-14-2008, 07:20 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,336,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
BudB, what is the title of your book? I am always hitting the local interest section of my local Border's or B&Ns for good stuff on SA history but I rarely find anything worth buying.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:35 PM

9 posts, read 27,037 times
I discovered this forum 3 days ago along with that I found this thread. After reading through all the pages I decided to join. I grew up in Glenoaks Park right behind the YMCA. I do remember the Fargos, T.G.&Y. ,the grocery store on the end I just canít remember the name. Also on the corner of Evers & Wurz. there was a Moble station. Across Evers was the 7-11 right behind was the Sonic, then Knolltons(sp?), I remember getting bubblegum ice cream there. Next was the car wash then Circle K, the Apts., La Patte, then the NW YMCA right before you crossed the bridge over the creek. I remember playing around the creek as a kid also when they redid it then we could ride down even better. Remember back in the late 70ís or early 80ís going to Ingram Park Mall to see the Lone Ranger. I might have pics at my parentís house I need to look them up.

Also growing up my brother and me were ďposterĒ children at the Lubyís at Colonies. So I got to know Wurz. very well. I will post that later.

There was some discussion earlier on about the white house on the hill where Lowes is today. That house was owed by a man named Streeter Nelson. Somehow he was connected with Scobby(sp?) moving.

Well thatís all for now. More to follow.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:42 PM

Thanks Travis......welcome to SA CD!

I just ran across a map today that was platted in 1953. It shows that Callaghan Rd from Jackson Keller to Fred Rd (I think) was named Kenny Rd....then changed to Callaghan on out West of that area. I had never seen that before. Anyone recall that?

Old 11-15-2008, 07:50 AM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,070,615 times
I remember it as Kinny road and it went from Vance Jackson near the old Ursaline High school to Fred Rd.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I remember it as Kinny road and it went from Vance Jackson near the old Ursaline High school to Fred Rd.
You're correct....it is Vance Jackson. (I always get my 'jacksons" in the wrong order!). I have two maps....one spells it Kenny and the other Kinney???? I think the people drafting were just as confused as I am. At least they did the right thing and made it continuous. It makes me crazy when some roads just change names at an intersection. I'm sure there's some historical development reason.

My other pet peeve is when streets were cut in half and they didn't change their names....like Bitters...that was cut in half by the airport. And Starcrest...which I don't think ever connected because of the Salado creek.

That pesky Starcrest is one that becomes "Bitters" at Jones Maltsberger (another one that was cut up by the airport) This great map shows Bitters as it was originally laid out across the airport.....and then makes a S curve at Jones Maltsberger (Nakoma wasn't platted at that time...nor was Starcrest)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or