Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2007, 02:22 PM

106 posts, read 463,327 times

Advertisements

Thanks, but it's not the Mission Drive In...I want to say it was called the Trail Drive-In? They used to show x-rated films there if I'm correct (that was the late 70's I think)...as far as the pizza place goes, if anybody recalls the name I would much appreciate it...I wanna say it was called "Colonas" or something like that.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:01 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,152,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodywood View Post
I'm not sure what local channel that started it's newscast with: I'ts 10 o'clock do you know where your children are? Should still use it now!
I remember that...I believe it was on channel 4's newscast during their first incarnation as WOAI before they changed to KMOL in the mid 70's.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:12 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Does anyone remember Apple Records on San Pedro? It seems like they were one of the only used record stores in town at the time.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:52 PM

11 posts, read 60,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxus40 View Post
where exactly was the handy andy? on the west or east side of broadway? what is located on that spot today?
Handy Andy (store no. 2 as I recall) was on the east side of Broadway at the Army Blvd. intersection. The address was 2500, in the building that now houses Amusement Distributors of Texas. Aside from being repainted from its pale yellow color, the building remains true to its art deco roots. An interior sign over the front doors read, "Through these doors pass the finest people." The store was enlarged in the early 1960's, with the expansion pretty much consuming the parking lot on the north side of the original building, so a 1920's era apartment building on the south side of Army Blvd. was demolished and a new parking lot created.

The restaurant supply building at the intersection with Post Ave. that another contributor mentioned was originally the O. R. Mitchell Chrysler dealership. Elliott Paint Company operated from the building after O. R. Mitchell relocated to a larger facility across from Lion's Field in the mid-1960's.

Last edited by askinnybuddy; 04-23-2007 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: correct typo

Old 04-23-2007, 10:20 PM

78 posts, read 407,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone remember Apple Records on San Pedro? It seems like they were one of the only used record stores in town at the time.
YES! Apple Records! I scored many a good used musical find there. You never knew what they were going to have, and when they did it was fantastic at a great price too. It was rare that I ever came away empty handed in that place. I ran into the store owner Monty some years ago. I was at Kinkos one evening making some copies and started small talk with some guy. Somehow the conversation turned to local music and when I mentioned how great Apple Records was, he looked at me straight in the eye and said "I was Apple Records...".

Gone but not forgotten indeed.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:21 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaTexan View Post
Thanks, but it's not the Mission Drive In...I want to say it was called the Trail Drive-In? They used to show x-rated films there if I'm correct (that was the late 70's I think)...as far as the pizza place goes, if anybody recalls the name I would much appreciate it...I wanna say it was called "Colonas" or something like that.

You are right it was Colonas, and the son opened up a pizza place on 410 next to party city and wal=mart near evers. It closed about 6 months ago.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:01 PM

48 posts, read 375,624 times
thanks askinnybuddy,

I live nearby and will look at that building in a new light.

Maybe you can help me with this one: There is an Art Deco building with the original deco sign located at 1511 Bandera road. It is nestled behind a Drivetrime auto dealership near Quill and Bandera. It has a palm tree in front of it and is no longer in use. The sign looks like it has not lost any of its original charm. I have a link to an aerial view. In the aerial you can see a bright yellow sign. That's it. If you or anyone knows the history to this lost treasure please share.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v...5463&encType=1

Old 04-24-2007, 08:14 AM

21 posts, read 104,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askinnybuddy View Post
There was a drive-in named Weber's Black Cow on Broadway just north of what became the Panam Expressway and the original Pig Stand restaurant. The main attraction was root beer in frosted glass mugs
That was the last place my mom and dad stopped on the way to the hospital to have me. No wonder I have a taste for root beer floats.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:19 AM

106 posts, read 463,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
You are right it was Colonas, and the son opened up a pizza place on 410 next to party city and wal=mart near evers. It closed about 6 months ago.
Thanks willsatx...I wish I would've known of the place off 410...thanks!

Old 04-24-2007, 11:24 AM

159 posts, read 784,696 times
Quote:
And yes it was Commander K.O. and not Captain Kangaroo.. She was on KABB. After she got married and left, they attempted to get another girl to follow but she didn't last long as no one could equal Commander K.O. <sigh>
I knew I was right....Cpt Kangaroo was a old man. Thanks for remembering MJR.

Quote:
My friends and I went to Holy Rosary school on the campus of st mary's univ.
I went to Holy Rosary from 85-88. Me and my friends would have a contest to see who could get the biggest gulmp of wine during Thursday mass. I would always get the cup pulled away from me because I was chuggin. Im not sure when you went there, but when I was there the principal was Sister Elizabeth she was a ball buster. There was this old teacher named Sister Anna Rose.......I gave her such a hard time....Im a jerk. I forget the coaches name but he also teached Science....I think he was a drunk. My english teacher was Mrs. Wordsworth....yes she was related to the famous William Wordsworth, which we were reminded of all the time. Her husband Wordy Wordsworth came to talk to our class about a top-secret plane he worked on and help design called the......SR-71 Blackbird.

Quote:
I want to say it was called the Trail Drive-In? They used to show x-rated films there if I'm correct (that was the late 70's I think)
Yes that was it. I dont remember it but a co-worker and I were talking about it the other day, and yes he said you could drive through the neighborhood behind it and see the x-rated movies. Nice....Nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio