Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2008, 11:16 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,360,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Chester Slimp was the owner/operator of Slimp Oil Company. It was a local, small scale oil refining operation that had a plant in Somerset named The Pioneer Oil and Refining Company. but it has been inoperative since 1948. At the time the facility operated, it produced oil and oil products, including roofing tar. The site includes two large pits and two brick tanks, all of which contain a tar-like hydrocarbon substance. Chester Slimp built The Castle in 1929 which is now named the Lodge Restaurant a decidedly up scale eatery.
Gosh....Chester got around in his time! I see the Slimp name everywhere I turn when I'm researching!

Speaking of Chesters. Anyone know who the "Chester" is behind Chester's Bergers?

Old 11-29-2008, 07:40 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,430,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Yes! I remember the Orange Julius on the second floor of the Sears wing, and the Orange Bowl on the first floor. I don't remember what specifically they serverd, though (at the Orange Bowl). The Pizza Place you mentioned was Luca's Pizza. I posted a little of their history much earlier on this thread. I had a little direct history with those guys.
The orange bowl served a nice orange ice cream which was awesome, they also had cones, pizza, and hot dogs if i recall.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:02 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,652,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Great post 940!

I can only go back as far as 1979, but 27 years would count as a classic..in cars that is. I remember the drive-ins, especially the Valley-Hi and Mission theaters (I believe the Mission is the only one still open).

I remember when Marbach ended just past Hunt Lane and was the entrance into Heritage Northwest. I remember when Potranco was only two lanes. I remember some old stores no longer in SA, such as Handy Dan's (driven out of business by Builder's Square), and Montgomery Ward's to name a few.

Hi,
I have been reading and enjoying this thread for a few nights now.My Dad was stationed at Lackland back in 1970-1973 and we lived in the Meadow Village 2 developement that was just the other side of 410 and Marbach Road which was 2 lane.Our school bus turned around on Hunt Lane to take us to Anson Jones Junior High on Pinn Rd. The school was brand spanking new.Our house was so new that we saw the workers rolling the sod lawn in while the moving van was being unpacked.Our Ray Ellison Home-Ellison Home! Anybody remember that jingle?I am sure you all do! haha.There was nothing out there but empty country back then. I am sure it is very crowded all these years later.
I have wonderful memories of San Antonio and look forward to returning some time. I went to Jay for a year and it was great.I remember Mexican food on Wednesday in the school cafeteria. Those cheese enchiladas were great the tacos too.Once in awhile we would get Chile Rellenos too.My Dad used to like The Little Red Barn because the steaks hung off the edge of the plate.We went to The Sizzler by Wilford Hall,The First Mate and Bonanza. My Dad also like the little BBQ place in The Valley-Hi Mall.
I used to love The Valley-Hi Mall! It had Bruners,Winn's,Pinky and Paul's Pet Shop,HEB and my very fave store of all Village Casuals where my Mom would buy my peasant blouses and H.I.S. brand elephant bells with the 2 inch zipper.I was stylin'.I am sure the Valley-Hi Mall is long gone but it was a fantastic little place-anyone remember it? Better still-have any pics you can post?
We used to go to Wonderland Mall and Central Park. I was very sad to hear about CP closing. It was so sleek and stylish back in the early 70s. I remember the glass elevator was very swanky. There was a Village Casuals in CP too.
To whoever posted about the Siclair dinosaurs I kind of remember that-not seeing the big green dinos but I remember seeing the green wax pouring into the mold when my little brother got hid brontosaurus. I remember the little green wax dino too.
I used to listen to KEXL where I heard The Allman Bros for the very first time and thought WOW who is this?! They are still my fave band. I really enjoyed the Remembering KEXL posting.Thanks !
I remember seeing Billy Jack at The Valley-Hi Drive Inwith the whole family. I am sure my Air Force Dad had no idea what it was going to be about.My brothers and I still laugh about that all these years later.WE JUST GO BERSERK!
I remeber reading in one of the posts and remember Jud Ashmore and Don Colson.Don Colson actually moved from SA to the Bangor Maine market and has been a newscaster here for all this time . His son is a newscaster too. There is a pic of Jud Ashmore signing an autograph in my Jay yearbook.
One year there was a parade downtown and the guy who played Lionel on The Jeffersons was the Grand Marshall-anyone remember that?
I will read somemore-I am about half way through.
Thanks to all of you for helping jog my memories of some fantastic times.

Last edited by 8635angelvalley; 11-29-2008 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: It's the Valley Hi Drive In not the Valley Hi.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:34 PM

35 posts, read 115,870 times
Default Country Corner ?

On occasional trips out IH 35N from SE San Antonio I remember a
restaurant at 35 & F.M.3009 that had a big cowboy figure out in
front by the intersection . It might have been Country Corner or
"Kountry Korner " . I seem to remember the radio station KKYX had a big
cowboy figure they used for special events, might have been the same one. There is a diner called Abel's there now , does anyone know if that's the same bldg ?

Old 11-30-2008, 03:08 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,292,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg1208 View Post
On occasional trips out IH 35N from SE San Antonio I remember a
restaurant at 35 & F.M.3009 that had a big cowboy figure out in
front by the intersection . It might have been Country Corner or
"Kountry Korner " . I seem to remember the radio station KKYX had a big
cowboy figure they used for special events, might have been the same one. There is a diner called Abel's there now , does anyone know if that's the same bldg ?
Could that have been the Farmer's Daughter? I've never been there but our old neighbors used to go there all the time. I remember driving by there with my parents and my mom making a comment about it, but I was too young to note the location.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:21 PM

jg1208,
Do you remember what year this was? I found an address for the Farmer's Daughter putting it on W.W. White road, but that was in 1963. They could have moved later.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-farmers-daughter-63.jpg  

Old 11-30-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
jg1208,
Do you remember what year this was? I found an address for the Farmer's Daughter putting it on W.W. White road, but that was in 1963. They could have moved later.
Nope, this wasn't it. Just found an address for them in 1977 and they were still on W.W. White road.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:31 PM

jg1208,
Could it have been the Hungry Farmer? They once had a lot of locations in SA, and one was on 35, but at Pat Booker road, not 3009. Coincidently, they are not Gone but Not Forgotten in SA, they still have one location on Blanco road.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:09 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,430,579 times
Quote:
jg1208,
Hi GW question Bobbie Barker I guess owned the place, was she murdered by Henry Lee Lucas? Sorry for bringing it up but curious.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:41 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,793,767 times
Quote:
jg1208,
I'm pretty sure the Farmer's Daughter was in that same location on WW White always! It's north of I-10 and about where Gembler road hits WW White!! There were two dance halls on 181 south just outside 4-10 Silver Saddle And Hilltop!! Seems like I recall the giant cowboy somewhere out south of town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio