Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 08:31 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,463,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Found this ad for them from a newspaper in 1965 (I don't know why they have a 1957 Ford in the picture). Its got locations listed at the bottom. Looks like they were owned by Kentucky Fried Chicken? If so, they must of been doing what Church's was trying to do with GW Juniors 15 years later. I read that one of their executives (Three Bears) in San Antonio was stabbed to death by an employee in 1972.
Seeing this Ad. maybe it was 72 to 75 we went to Three Bears (dating then). You have seen the info I've seen that Earl Abel's was selling Kentucky Fried Chicken before franchising? That was probably Colonel Sander's Recipe Earl Abel's sold all these years!! Royalty free? I've also come to learn that Sea Island's owners once owned the Manhattan Cafe next to the Majestic Theater!! Didn't Earl Abel's start there somewhere? Hungry Farmer , I think it was you maybe on another thread talking about the last one!! There is still one which I thought was the Original at Military Drive & I-35. This one I believe started in the old Spotted Horse Restaurant Bldg. Which was located right where the McDonald's sit's across Military from South Park Mall!! We have a small ad from the Spotted Horse in GBNF thread I believe!!

Old 12-02-2008, 09:18 PM

136 posts, read 329,865 times
You're not thinking of the old "Running Bear" ice house/ beer joint on S.E.Military at Mission Road. It's just recently been done away with and a tiny strip center in it's place!! [/quote]

OMG, the Running Bear is gone !!??

The horror...the horror

Old 12-02-2008, 09:51 PM

139 posts, read 502,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_antonius View Post
I have been away from San Antonio since 2000 but everytime I come back home I visit Texan Seafood. I always order the Fisherman's Platter - you get a little bit of everything. My wife does not care for seafood too much but she loves Texan.
The Best Fried Seafood Platter Anywhere. When I go back to SA, I will be there in three weeks. , right when I get off the plane, We head it to Don Pedros. The best Mexican food, anywhere. The next day is Bill Millers. Not as good as it used to be, but it is just what I do.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:16 PM

Someone mentioned Mitchell Lake a while back. I remember it. I was born and raised on the SouthSide from 1963 to 1985, but I do not no the whole story on it. Was it ever a recreational Lake?? Friends of mine say they used to screw around there and saw Alligators. I have no idea it that was true.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:29 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,398,106 times
Question about the three bears, I remember someone telling me there was a location at Central Park Mall. Anyone have any information on that?

Old 12-02-2008, 10:36 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,265,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Seeing this Ad. maybe it was 72 to 75 we went to Three Bears (dating then). You have seen the info I've seen that Earl Abel's was selling Kentucky Fried Chicken before franchising? That was probably Colonel Sander's Recipe Earl Abel's sold all these years!! Royalty free? I've also come to learn that Sea Island's owners once owned the Manhattan Cafe next to the Majestic Theater!! Didn't Earl Abel's start there somewhere? Hungry Farmer , I think it was you maybe on another thread talking about the last one!! There is still one which I thought was the Original at Military Drive & I-35. This one I believe started in the old Spotted Horse Restaurant Bldg. Which was located right where the McDonald's sit's across Military from South Park Mall!! We have a small ad from the Spotted Horse in GBNF thread I believe!!
You might be right. KFC allowed other restaurants to sell their chicken up until around 1965. That ad may just be saying that Three Bears Hamburger Den was selling their chicken and were opening up an "official" KFC franchise on McCoullagh. This origin stuff just fascinates me.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
You're not thinking of the old "Running Bear" ice house/ beer joint on S.E.Military at Mission Road. It's just recently been done away with and a tiny strip center in it's place!!
OMG, the Running Bear is gone !!??

The horror...the horror
It's true , sorry BR the Bear is gone!!!

Old 12-03-2008, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwolfman View Post
Someone mentioned Mitchell Lake a while back. I remember it. I was born and raised on the SouthSide from 1963 to 1985, but I do not no the whole story on it. Was it ever a recreational Lake?? Friends of mine say they used to screw around there and saw Alligators. I have no idea it that was true.
Mitchell Lake named for Asa Mitchell is an ancient lake. You can be sure there had been swimming and fishing in it's distant past! There may have been a small boat launched in it from time to time. But, it's recent history before being turned into some sort of bird sanctuary stunk!! For many decades the city used it to dump raw sewage. Alligators, who knows they've had alligators over at Lakeside off Rigsby outside 410!! It's possible!!

Old 12-03-2008, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwolfman View Post
The Best Fried Seafood Platter Anywhere. When I go back to SA, I will be there in three weeks. , right when I get off the plane, We head it to Don Pedros. The best Mexican food, anywhere. The next day is Bill Millers. Not as good as it used to be, but it is just what I do.
The Texan has been there at least 50 years. I've been all around it since the 50's. Haven't been inside for many years now!! They grew a little and have a bigger parking lot. Still look busy! Don Pedros has expanded still good usually! You might try where Minute Taco used to be on Roosevelt and White Ave. across from the Mission Drive In!! Forgot the name , just ate there a week or two ago! Pretty good food!! Good Eats!!

Old 12-03-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Minute Taco used to be on Roosevelt and White Ave.

I used to have a gal friend That lived over there. We used to eat there all the time, but haven't tried it since the switch. HHW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio