Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 08:22 PM

139 posts, read 504,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nena1961 View Post
hhay wolfman - do you remember the local TV show that Moe Bandy use to be on regularly? When he was just Uncle Moe? Thought of another - do you remember Maurice - he use to ride a bicycle to Piggley Wiggley on Pleasanton and play his guitar by the front doors? I always felt soooo sorry for him. If he was there you could bet I would get him some kind of snack when Granny and I shopped.
I don't remember the Uncle Moe Deal. His kids went to School with my wife at East Central though. OMG I had fogotten about Maurice. WoW

Old 12-30-2008, 08:45 PM

45 posts, read 149,562 times
His (Uncle Moe) neice and I were close friends. When her dad, his brother was in bad health Moe would come by in the AM. He would often drop us off at school (Terrell Wells) after we made our usual stop at the Lone Star Ice House at the corner of Hutchins and Pleasanton.He performed at a rest/dance hall in Sinton a few years ago. Talk about reliving old times! We had a great visit.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:48 PM

Yes the ole Lone Star Ice house. Later Called Jims Ice House, if I am not mistaken. Bought a lot of candy and goods there.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:10 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,293,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebonnet Mom View Post
This is a relief to hear about your troubles with news archive- I thought there was some type of "user failure" on my part. Really looking forward to if/when you find more information. Thanks!
I saw my friend over the Christmas holidays whose job it once was to archive articles at the Express-News into a searchable database. He's not sure why all the articles just stop in 1977 on the national archive site, but gave me a few numbers to call after the holidays where I can inquire further.

You'd think with all the problems newspapers are facing in today's economy, they'd want to build up this segment of their business.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:21 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,293,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwolfman View Post
A cry for help. LOL Does anyone Have a picture of First Mate ? or the old MCrelesse Mall Sign Big M nd C?
I tried real hard to find actual photographs, and came up empty. But I did find these advertisements and a drawing of one of the restaurants. Hope this helps....enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-firstmate1.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-firstmate2.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-firstmate3.jpg  

Old 12-31-2008, 12:47 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Quote:
Flip Side - loved it, loved it, loved it. What was the ice house - cold storage that was located at the corner of Commercial and SW Military? Now I think it's a tire & rim store. It had a picture of a deer making an awful face on the Commercial side. Dunkin' Donuts when it was where River City Donuts is now. Anyone remember a fast food mexican resturant located down by LaFaria on the opposite side of the street - right by the light - Ole Toro???????
Think you are thinking of the back end of Buddy Civiletto's Market !! On Grosvenor end they had the meat lockers and would process deer!! Remember Sterling Electronics next to Dunkin Donuts?? Ole toro was next to where Little Caeser's is now!!
Quote:
hhay wolfman - do you remember the local TV show that Moe Bandy use to be on regularly? When he was just Uncle Moe? Thought of another - do you remember Maurice - he use to ride a bicycle to Piggley Wiggley on Pleasanton and play his guitar by the front doors? I always felt soooo sorry for him. If he was there you could bet I would get him some kind of snack when Granny and I shopped.
Saw Maurice a few years back . Wife pointed him out I didn't recognize him, just a old man !! Dicky Bandy lived in Bellaire ! Did you know Dana Bandy or family?
Quote:
I don't remember the Uncle Moe Deal. His kids went to School with my wife at East Central though. OMG I had fogotten about Maurice. WoW
Hunched over old man just looks like anyone else his age !!
Quote:
His (Uncle Moe) neice and I were close friends. When her dad, his brother was in bad health Moe would come by in the AM. He would often drop us off at school (Terrell Wells) after we made our usual stop at the Lone Star Ice House at the corner of Hutchins and Pleasanton.He performed at a rest/dance hall in Sinton a few years ago. Talk about reliving old times! We had a great visit.
Seen Moe play plenty of times!!
Quote:
Yes the ole Lone Star Ice house. Later Called Jims Ice House, if I am not mistaken. Bought a lot of candy and goods there.
Which one they were everywhere??? Think Blackie's Tavern is still there!! Remember Fat Man's on Pleasanton Road just south of Formosa??

Old 12-31-2008, 12:51 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I saw my friend over the Christmas holidays whose job it once was to archive articles at the Express-News into a searchable database. He's not sure why all the articles just stop in 1977 on the national archive site, but gave me a few numbers to call after the holidays where I can inquire further.

You'd think with all the problems newspapers are facing in today's economy, they'd want to build up this segment of their business.
Exactly!!!

Old 12-31-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Think you are thinking of the back end of Buddy Civiletto's Market !! On Grosvenor end they had the meat lockers and would process deer!! Remember Sterling Electronics next to Dunkin Donuts?? Ole toro was next to where Little Caeser's is now!!

Saw Maurice a few years back . Wife pointed him out I didn't recognize him, just a old man !! Dicky Bandy lived in Bellaire ! Did you know Dana Bandy or family?

Which one they were everywhere??? Think Blackie's Tavern is still there!! Remember Fat Man's on Pleasanton Road just south of Formosa??

Fatman's was kinda a pink building wasn't it???

Old 12-31-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I tried real hard to find actual photographs, and came up empty. But I did find these advertisements and a drawing of one of the restaurants. Hope this helps....enjoy!
Thanks bud, That is real cool. Have you ever fond pictures of McCrelles Mall Sign The Big M With the C?????

Old 12-31-2008, 11:51 AM

45 posts, read 149,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post

Dana was older - Denise and I are the same age. No, I'm sure it wasn't Buddie's. It (the meat place) was at the red light at SW Military and Commercial. Dared my younger sister to make faces back at the deer while Dad was putting a deer in storage. Busy streets that day, Mom caught her and realized people, lots of people, saw her. Got the snot whipped out of us both!!!! Lone Star Ice House was at the corner of Hutchins and Pleasanton.

Last edited by Nena1961; 12-31-2008 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: Crappy spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio