U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 01:02 AM

50 posts, read 147,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightcelll69 View Post
I've recently started looking through old family photos and found that Co. stamped on the back of one. Two of my cousins and I have been trying to figure out what relative is in the picture. We didn't think any of our family lived in San Antonio. Anyway it occured to me that that's where it was developed or where the co. was based. Interesting pics from 1947 era, has a Greek like pattern around the border. I'm going to try to upload them. Well I just went to upload and I don't know what hot linking is or how to do it. Maybe some other time.
Fox did mail order from at least the 1920's. My grandparents in West Texas sent film to San Antonio for development. Pre addressed Fox envelopes, etc. The pictures could be from most anywhere. Just like mail order film development in the 1990's.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:30 AM

114,169 posts, read 54,166,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibolo Rider View Post
Berg's Mill, Loved the place. Used to run around out there in the early 60's. Do you remember May's Rabbitery in Bergs Mill. It was row upon row of rabbit and Guinea Pig cages. I guess they sold them commercialy. Anyway, we used to steal their rabbits and guinea pigs. Funny, I don't remember what we did with them. The place with the barracks was called Stinson Homes. The rent was set by how much money you made so it was kinda of a rough place. I lived there from 60 to 62 though it seems much longer. I have a lot of great memories from that place.
Hi CR , yes I do remember that name. I can't recall just where it was though!! The Stinson homes I used to run through all the time!! I believe they were for military families originally and just converted to low income housing in the end!! Probably not long before they built the Stadium there were only a couple of the old two story buildings left standing. They were on the furthest north streets and occupied. Pretty scroungy then. You were probably gone 2-3 years before I was running through there!!

Old 01-15-2009, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,724 times
Just reading about the homes and nuns and such on Callaghan. Let me clear up a few things....The Jimenez's owned what is now a pink house, not 8910, but next to it. I am currently the owner of 8910, have the history and have just put a historic marker on it. Regarding the nuns, they live in the complex across the street from 8910 where they run a daycare! Feel free to read more about 8910 at www.8910CallaghanRoad.com Stay well and be happy!

Old 01-15-2009, 02:40 PM

6 posts, read 11,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Actually, The London Steakhoue might be easier to remember if I mentioned it is where the Melting Pot is now.
How about the "Bull Moose"???

Old 01-15-2009, 02:56 PM

6 posts, read 11,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smorluv View Post
Just reading about the homes and nuns and such on Callaghan. Let me clear up a few things....The Jimenez's owned what is now a pink house, not 8910, but next to it. I am currently the owner of 8910, have the history and have just put a historic marker on it. Regarding the nuns, they live in the complex across the street from 8910 where they run a daycare! Feel free to read more about 8910 at www.8910CallaghanRoad.com Stay well and be happy!
The nuns lived at the end of stonehaven & callaghan rd. Stonehaven was a dirt road when my sister took a kindergarden class there in the summer. I took her to school on my bike. I think it was 1972. I took her to the up to the school (house) one particular day and no one was there. We heard some noise coming from the front yard behind some large bushes. We walked over there and all the nuns were in a swimming pool right on the front corner of the property (the stonehaven-callaghan corner)in thier bathing suits. These were the same nuns from ursline, before ST. Matthews was built and church was held in the Ursline cafeteria. Quite a site we were not ready for!! Since I moved back, I looked and the pool and bushes are gone!!

Old 01-15-2009, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,688 times
Default Love this Thread

I recently stumbled on to this and have really enjoyed browsing the thread and there are thousands I haven't yet read. Thanks 980 for starting this. My first date with my future and current wife was at the Alamo Drive-In. That was in September 1954. I could toss out some names of places that most of you young folks would not recognize. Anybody here remember Youngblood's chicken or Valerio's Italian? They were both on Broadway.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:06 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,137,343 times
Nice to stop by and visit everyone in San Antonio Texas............I was looking for a few people to rep and I must say your state is so, so, big....I messed up the town name.
Nice to see you all. I have a friend Hanna in San Antonio, or is it Austin?............I'll have to go check.
Good weather to you all..........Right now we have that artic cold coming down. Geez, it needs to stay north.........Could Texas do something about that....or not?

Old 01-16-2009, 01:15 AM

50 posts, read 147,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFguy55 View Post
I recently stumbled on to this and have really enjoyed browsing the thread and there are thousands I haven't yet read. Thanks 980 for starting this. My first date with my future and current wife was at the Alamo Drive-In. That was in September 1954. I could toss out some names of places that most of you young folks would not recognize. Anybody here remember Youngblood's chicken or Valerio's Italian? They were both on Broadway.
I still have a speaker from the Alamo. I loved Youngblood's when I was a kid. Did they disappear about the time Church's began? Youngblood's was a chain, restaurants in Austin and Houston, too. Don't know when they went out of business. On Broadway, near the Scout HQ. I don't remember any of the movies showing when I went to the Alamo. The attraction was next to me.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:58 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,421,330 times
Soon to GBNF in SA- Circuit City.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:41 PM

64 posts, read 373,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Those are good books and there is a new one titled San Antonio; Then, Now & Always. It has 350 images mostly in color and covers everything from Kiddie Park & Pig Stand on Broadway to the long gone Trail Drive-In on Loop 13, also a bunch of other old SA places, some gone and others still in place. It is a very good book with not only lots of cool fotos but also a lot of neat history and personal stories as well. Of course I'm biased because I wrote it....
I can provide an unbiased kudo for this book - it's well worth the price. Great photos, postcards, and informative narrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or