U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 09:14 AM

64 posts, read 374,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsenior View Post
At the risk of repeating myself: does anyone remember the 30 or better Summers Rexall drugstores in San Antonio? I worked there when school was out for almost three years. I loved every minute of it! In all 30 of them at one time or another. Does anyone know how to obtain a vintage menu from one of these stores?
I remember Sommers also, but I didn't go to all 30 of them. There are vintage menus that come up on eBay all the time, and I'm pretty sure I've seen some from Sommers.

I bought vintage menus from La Fonda and The Night Hawk on eBay.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:35 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,189,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemoto22 View Post
How about the "Bull Moose"???
Was the Bull Moose..the old lodge looking place on Blanco...near Central Park Mall? Either way...tells us about the Bull Moose.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:40 AM

10,626 posts, read 12,770,787 times
Pharmor! Thanks for remembering that. Yes, it wasn't there for long. But I remember it always being pretty busy. So, I was sort of confused when they closed down after not being open for long.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:50 AM

237 posts, read 703,375 times
I don't mean to dampen the spirits of those writing in about all the Sommers Rx stores because I remember them fondly too. But before Sommers there were dozens of independent Rx stores that also had lunch counters. The two that come to mind from my southeast side days was Seiberts Pharmacy on New Braunfels at Essex, the other was Donegan's Pharmacy on S. New Braunfels at Drexel. They both had fine lunch counters making great hamburgers, BLTs, cherry cokes, malts, and banana splits, etc. The stores also each had comic book racks and most important to me, model airplane kits that needed constant monitoring. Seiberts shared a small strip with a Winns in the middle flanked by the Rx on the north end and a Piggly-Wiggly grocery store on the south end. Seiberts sold a huge milkshake or malt for .40 cents that was the best ever since they used actual ice cream not the soft serve stuff. Donegan's Rx fit the same description and was gone earlier due to the freeway coming across town there while Seiberts lasted into the 1980s. There may be a couple of that type Rx still around like the one on McCullough at Hildebrand but as I said there were once dozens of the indies all over town. As a foot note, until the 1970s or there about, those places were also where you dropped off film for foto processing ... GBNF!

Old 01-19-2009, 12:30 PM

114,173 posts, read 54,262,209 times
Here is some history of our Sommer's Drug Stores apparently Hdqtr'd here.

Sommers Drug Stores Co. Employee Profit Sharing Trust v. Corrigan Enterprises, Inc. - AltLaw (http://www.altlaw.org/v1/cases/528157 - broken link)

Old 01-19-2009, 12:35 PM

114,173 posts, read 54,262,209 times
I remember Seibert's BudB, may still be there, the Bldg. anyway. Donegan's rings a bell but not sure I'd have to see it. Certainly not in my neighborhood but I got around. Actually had an uncle lived many years on Rigsby close to Hackberry!!

Old 01-19-2009, 01:35 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,189,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Pharmor! Thanks for remembering that. Yes, it wasn't there for long. But I remember it always being pretty busy. So, I was sort of confused when they closed down after not being open for long.
Phar-Mor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-19-2009, 01:40 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,079,872 times
I remember a small strip center on East Houston between South New Braunfels and Joe Freeman collesium. It had a grocery store, a five and dime called "Potters" and a drug store just like the ones you are talking about. My aunt Cookie would take me and my sister and we would buy Dentyne and Beemans gum. I alway's wanted Black Jack but Cookie told me that gum was nasty. I also remember Delview Pharmacy had a soda fountain.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:49 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,079,872 times
Has anybody talked about Mom and Pop shoe stores? Those stores really are gone but not forgotten. I remember Daura's Shoe's in the Dellview shopping center. I went to grade school with Laura Daura (honest!). They lived just down the street. I remember they sold Buster Brown and Polly Parrot shoes. I went to High school with Susan Maddox. Her dad owned Maddox Matresses on Fred Road. They would always advertise in the year book.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:42 PM

237 posts, read 703,375 times
Default strip centers

Dwangle wrote "I remember a small strip center on East Houston between South New Braunfels and Joe Freeman collesium." The one I recall that fits his description was at E. Houston and N. Gevers facing north. The market was one of the bigger Chinese mom & pop stores; the strip itself is still there. Donegan's Rx went away in the late '60s when I-10 cut the old neighborhood in half between Denver Heights & Highland Park. Many of those three and four business strips still dot the city landscape like the one where the old Seibert's Rx store was. There were three or four spaced out along Hackberry too for example and really all over town and in varying sizes; a few had 8 to 10 shops or stores. A larger one that comes to mind is the one on Fredericksberg road that had an upstairs bowling alley. It has become obvious that we are discussing all the many locally owned retail businesses that have been bumped off by Malls and Super Store chains. Where that really hurt was in small towns where main street was once lined with small to medium size stores of all descriptions mostly owned and operated by locals just like those in the city that we are recalling here today. Btw, last week I chimed in about a particular old Whopper Burger site and was later reminded by a friend that the one I mentioned was actually named Podnuh's and did indeed sell what can only be described as a "whopper" of a burger.

Last edited by BudB; 01-19-2009 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: to add info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or