U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 01:10 PM

3 posts, read 7,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwolfman View Post
Wasn't there a 3 Bears On Military Drive, Close to the SA River Bridge, in the 60's
There was a Three Bears on SouthCross across from the McCreless Mall; one on McColluch close to North Star Mall and one off Fredericksburg Rd in the parking lot at Wonderland Mall. I don't believe there was one on Military Drive since I use to work at all of them. Some of the managers were Roger,Bob Mayo,Ray(sells bread now or retired) and James Mylius.
If you worked at Three Bears respond to this quote. Three Bears was around until maybe 1972/1974.
Art

Old 01-26-2009, 01:50 PM

114,170 posts, read 54,190,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by art8326 View Post
There was a Three Bears on SouthCross across from the McCreless Mall; one on McColluch close to North Star Mall and one off Fredericksburg Rd in the parking lot at Wonderland Mall. I don't believe there was one on Military Drive since I use to work at all of them. Some of the managers were Roger,Bob Mayo,Ray(sells bread now or retired) and James Mylius.
If you worked at Three Bears respond to this quote. Three Bears was around until maybe 1972/1974.
Art
I knew the one by McCreless. There was never one on Military Drive,certainly not near the river anyway. Wolfman was thinking of Running Bear ice house/ beer joint. Did this Ray fellow work for Butter Krust? Dates sound about right.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:24 PM

139 posts, read 420,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I knew the one by McCreless. There was never one on Military Drive,certainly not near the river anyway. Wolfman was thinking of Running Bear ice house/ beer joint. Did this Ray fellow work for Butter Krust? Dates sound about right.
Yep You are ready scolded me a while back. I wish I had a picture of the one on SouthCross.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:02 AM

2,887 posts, read 4,350,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Verify your sources before you post. Reggianos and Tom's Ribs are the only 2 places that have closed. Both Silo and Kirby's were open this past weekend.
I HOPE Kirby's is still open, as a steak lover, they got better steaks than Morton's or Ruths Chris. Unlike Tom's Ribs or Karem's, where I heard about their closing from employees and the family members who owned the restaurants, I heard about Kirby's and Silo from friends of mine who live in Stone Oak. I won't be back home in SA until Wednesday, but I will drive out to each of these places when I do get back to get the full story.

And hopefully, I'll have the chance to throw down a Cowboy Ribeye at Kirby's in the process.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:11 AM

2,887 posts, read 4,350,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwolfman View Post
G, Were you telling us, a Whopper
I hope not!!!
I've stated before that I don't want to post any false info on this board. I will keep validating my sources as best as I can.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:05 PM

35 posts, read 97,276 times
Default Old Gas Stations

I was recalling some old defunct gas companies and where their stations
were in my neighborhood. I worked at a Texaco in the 8100 blk. of
South Foster Rd. in 1980-81. My grandfather worked at one of A.J.Ploch's
Texaco's on S. Hackberry, late fifties. I remember the Avery's Store at
Sulphur Springs Rd. & Foster Rd., it was an Enco and then an Exxon.
On Spur 122 between Presa and Hwy 181 S. there was a Sinclair,
later became a Diamond Shamrock. There were Key & Hancock stations
on W.W.White , early to mid 60's, and some Conoco's here and there.
I also remember the give away drinking glasses and gas wars.
jg1208

Old 01-28-2009, 02:31 PM

114,170 posts, read 54,190,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg1208 View Post
I was recalling some old defunct gas companies and where their stations
were in my neighborhood. I worked at a Texaco in the 8100 blk. of
South Foster Rd. in 1980-81. My grandfather worked at one of A.J.Ploch's
Texaco's on S. Hackberry, late fifties. I remember the Avery's Store at
Sulphur Springs Rd. & Foster Rd., it was an Enco and then an Exxon.
On Spur 122 between Presa and Hwy 181 S. there was a Sinclair,
later became a Diamond Shamrock. There were Key & Hancock stations
on W.W.White , early to mid 60's, and some Conoco's here and there.
I also remember the give away drinking glasses and gas wars.
jg1208
I remember Avery's. The old Sinclair later Diamond Shamrock on S.Presa was boarded up I believe last time I passed it!! Remember Kayo Stations?

Old 01-29-2009, 04:54 PM

237 posts, read 702,747 times
Funny you should mention the S. Hackberry site of A. J. Ploch's. Remember how it actually sat on a short nameless ally with its back toward Hackberry? Last fall I tried to find it after having some enchiladas at Brown's just down the street. I found the alley but no sign of an old gas station which is sort of what I expected. Even when it was operating you had to know where it was to find it. Places like that are mostly a thing of the past as there are very few true filling stations left anymore.
This will really date me as an old codger, because also in that same general neighborhood but a bit north up Hackberry. On Drexel Ave. a bock west off Hackberry was another mostly forgotten place that is still sitting there but not used as originally intended when built just after WW II. I mean the old Boys Club that backs up to the Katy RR trax there. I spent many happy Saturdays there in the 1950s jumping on the full sized trampolines, shooting pool, playing ping pong or swinging on the really long rope that hung from the roof. That dang thing must have been fifty feet high or more so you could really swing. Imagine a hundred or so boys about ages 8 to 14 as I recall, playing hard, having fun, fighting occasionally but more or less under control. Now days it would be a legal nightmare because kids were always getting their heads busted, eyes blackened, teeth loosened or whatever but still having lots of good old fashioned fun without parents suing the club every other week. The large old hangar style structure is still there but now used for storage by someone. Saturdays meant dozens of boys having a good time and getting into a little trouble too naturally, all under the watchful eye of a great guy named Stanley something. He drove an early-50s, white pickup truck with the Boys Club emblem on its doors. Anybody else remember that special place and or Stanley?

Last edited by BudB; 01-29-2009 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: fix grammar

Old 01-29-2009, 06:06 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,077,598 times
My great grand parents lived on Drexel just next to the boys club you are talking about. I was pretty young (under 10 I guess) but I remember what a big building it was. It looked like a really cool place. I am glad to find someone who went there. My great grandfather worked at the Flour mills. He never had a car. We would go there on Christmas and whole place would smell like pastries and coffee. Great grandma would make Kolaches. Everybody would talk some weird language. The kids were always bored and would make up games to play. I would give anything to go back to those times!

Old 01-29-2009, 06:22 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,077,598 times
This is connected to my earlier post. Around 1971 or 1972 Great grandma called my Dad because her radio quit working. Great grandpa had already passed on. She used the radio for church service because she was too old to go herself. It was an old cathedral radio --you know--the really collectable ones. Dad bought her a cheap plastic radio and threw hers away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or