Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2007, 06:45 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,324 times

Advertisements

Speaking of Steak houses....who can forget Sizzler. That was our Sunday Family tradition....go to Sizzler on 410 & Vance Jackson after church. I believe they were the innovators of the "Salad Bar" & "Sneeze Guard"- for buffets. Anyone remember what year they turned into Finkels? THe other location I remember was Broadway and 410 (present day Marthas).

Then there was Bonanza on Fred road by Wonderland and there was on on Broadway near downtown.

Steak & Ale - present day "The Coast"...I remember going to a retirement party there about 5 years ago, right before it closed it was like a nursing home in there (both employees and patrons).

Somone at work mentioned there was a steak resturant in the shopping center at I-10 and Callaghan during the Penn Foods era....anyone recall that?...Might have been where the Fertillis(sp) Italian restaurant was? I think it may have been a bar too..possible something cowboy related.

Speaking of that area does anyone remember that old mansion on the farm homestead on top of the hill where they built the lowes? I lot of people thought it was "midget mansion" which it wasn't. I shop at that lowes all the time, but it was a shame they built that there...that should have been built into a city park...you could see the whole skyline from there. I remember there was some highly-hay over some very big old oak trees that had to be knocked down.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:58 AM

25 posts, read 79,436 times
Default Super slide

I was telling my husband last night about this thread. I remember the Slide at Wonderland. We both graduated from Lee and we were remembering the places we would go to. Does anyone remember Swensons Ice Cream Parlor? It was located on Blanco Rd. Does anyone remember the Falcon and Gold Mine arcades? How about the Santa Clause that would be on top of the elevator at Rhodes? The statues at Central Park Mall? Watching the Rocky Horror Picture show at Central Park Fox theaters and then Northwest 6?

Old 09-15-2007, 11:13 AM

25 posts, read 79,436 times
Default Munchkin mansion

My best friend got special permission from the owners to go on the property to sketch what was remaining of the mansion. I remember her saying it was kind of spooky being there. She stated the pool was full of graffiti. Speaking of mansions, does anyone remember Gillespie Mansion? It was located off Vance Jackson and I-10, behind the Wal-Mart. They are going to make the grounds a Park. If you drive by you can still see it.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:13 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,430,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post
Willsatx,

Nope - you're thinking of the Texaco at McCullough and Rector (which, oddly enough, had the southeast garage of North Star Mall built on TOP of it). There was a gas station at San Pedro and Rector until the late 70s when the little strip center with Wallpapers To Go was built.

Macgrad89
Wow did not know that, I remember the Godfathers pizza there at San Pedro and Rector.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:16 AM
tcs

218 posts, read 876,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debdeb525 View Post
My best friend got special permission from the owners to go on the property to sketch what was remaining of the mansion. I remember her saying it was kind of spooky being there. She stated the pool was full of graffiti. Speaking of mansions, does anyone remember Gillespie Mansion? It was located off Vance Jackson and I-10, behind the Wal-Mart. They are going to make the grounds a Park. If you drive by you can still see it.
Yes I have been to the Gillespe Mansion. There was stairs to the basement that was very dark and we did not venture there. Had a big sun porch of sorts and lots of graffiti.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:11 PM

78 posts, read 407,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
Yes I have been to the Gillespe Mansion. There was stairs to the basement that was very dark and we did not venture there. Had a big sun porch of sorts and lots of graffiti.
If this is the same place I'm thinking it is I remember my brother going to some Halloween party there circa 1980. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe at the time one was able to rent out the place for an event such as this. Before anything was built on the surrounding area's land the mansion was pretty much up on that slightly inclining hill and surrounded by trees. You could see it from the I-10 freeway. I recall the then narrow road that is now in between the San Antonio Credit Union and the bloodbank went straight up to the house and it had a sign that swung from a pole that was right where the road began at the freeway access road. Back in the late 80's(?) or so there was a fire at the mansion where it remained standing for a little while longer till it was finally torn down. Anybody know more about this place?

Old 09-15-2007, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,331 times
Hey guys,

This question isn't as old as some of the other info here, but does anyone here remember if there was once an Chuck E. Cheese's next to North Star Mall? This would have been in the very late 70s/early 1980s. I have heard there was one in the little shopping center where the Subway is now, but don't know for sure.

Thanks!

Old 09-15-2007, 03:47 PM
tcs

I got my first pair of contact lenses when I was 15 from an eye doctor that was in the corner of Wolf & Marx at North Star Mall. Then I went to the record store there and bought the Spooky Tooth Spooky 2 album. Dont remember walking past the Chucky Cheese. I remember something like that.
Good old North Star!!!!!!

Did anybody take Drivers Ed during the summer at Wonderland Town Hall. It was down stairs by the Betty and Glenn Dance Studio.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:05 PM
tcs

Is this the site of the old Gillespe Mansion?
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-old-mansion-vance-jackson-10.jpg  

Old 09-15-2007, 08:20 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,852,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saguy3882 View Post
Hey guys,

This question isn't as old as some of the other info here, but does anyone here remember if there was once an Chuck E. Cheese's next to North Star Mall? This would have been in the very late 70s/early 1980s. I have heard there was one in the little shopping center where the Subway is now, but don't know for sure.

Thanks!
Yes, that's exactly where it was. I remember eating there for a birthday party once. I don't remember much about the place though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio