Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2007, 11:54 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,399,776 times

Advertisements

Question for someone to answer, I remember reading there was a JC Penny's at Terrell Plaza on Austin Highway. My question is where was it located?

Old 10-15-2007, 12:16 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,408,567 times
From pictures I have seen JCPenney was in the center of Terrell Plaza if you know where the subway is it was behind the breezeway that seperates the buildings there.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
From pictures I have seen JCPenney was in the center of Terrell Plaza if you know where the subway is it was behind the breezeway that seperates the buildings there.
Ok cool thanks, would be cool to see those pics.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:58 AM

20 posts, read 68,589 times
I remember well the JCPenny at Terrell Plaza. In October of every year the elementary schools would have a competition to paint the plate glass windows with Halloween paintings. The year I was in the competiton with my 2nd grade class we came in 3rd. The winner was a painting of a fancy new witch Samantha Stevens which had just premiered on ABC a few weeks earlier. Must have been 1963

Old 10-15-2007, 10:16 AM

15 posts, read 70,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Who remembers Colonies North Mall (Wurzbach & I-10)? It has gone through many changes over the years. But as I child I remember there was a night club on the inside next to the Winns. I believe it was San Antonio Rose (a country bar)..and it's last incarnation was Images (a teen club). But I think it was a few more popular places that I can't remember. I remember there was a neon rainbow outside the place. Anyone remember what other clubs were there. If anyone has any photos from "back in the day"...that would be great.
Graffitti's was there. Rock club.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:17 AM

Oopps - Confetti's

Old 10-15-2007, 10:26 AM

WOW. Lots from that one. I grew up on Republic in that area. Mr. Peatrees Ice House is where i got all of my Odd-Rods gum packages and those subs at Kresge's were great (along with the sliced ham). Remember that Bean Pot restaurant in North Star at the turn in the middle? Always smelled so great.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:18 PM

25 posts, read 79,129 times
Unhappy Characters around town

Primo, I remember the guy that was on Vance Jackson. Even now while I pass by there, I expect to see him standing there. A few years ago, I saw the cowboy at the Jims on San Pedro. He was doing his lasso routine. We do have some characters. A few years back, there was a guy that would catch the bus on West Avenue and Nassau that looked just like Hitler. He had the uniform and the mustache. He was creepy. Not sure if he is still around but he sure did give me the creeps.

Gwhopper, awesome pics. Thank you for posting them.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortscorner View Post
I remember well the JCPenny at Terrell Plaza. In October of every year the elementary schools would have a competition to paint the plate glass windows with Halloween paintings. The year I was in the competiton with my 2nd grade class we came in 3rd. The winner was a painting of a fancy new witch Samantha Stevens which had just premiered on ABC a few weeks earlier. Must have been 1963
Wonder exactly what years it was open?

Old 10-15-2007, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,976 times
Default Christie's in San Antonio

Christie's was not "off" Broadway. It was right on Broadway. Does anyone have a recipie for their Thousand Island dressing? I grew up on that stuff and miss it terribly.
Before that site was Christie's it was a restaurant called the Broadway Grove.
The Grove sold nickle hamburgers and had car hops dressed like bell hops. My grandfather owned/operated the building/business and when he decided to hang up the restaurant business he sold it to Mr. Christie...which I think was some time in the mid to late '40's.
My grandfather also owned a business on Houston street called the Hoffman House Bar. We aren't sure if it was Hoffman or Huffman but we KNOW it was a bar.
Can anyone add to this info? I would love to hear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio