Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2007, 08:51 AM
tcs

218 posts, read 877,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
TCS,
I cannot I believe I found these. I never expected to find anything about this place and assumed it was truly Gone and Forgotten. Thank's for the name, otherwise I wouldn't have realized what I found.

The associated text reads "Algo Diferente, Summer Home of Mrs. Ablert Friedrich, San Antonio, Texas.
I did some more digging and look at post 372 in this thread. js63 said,"I have lots of old SA postcards, including a few of "Algo Diferente," a castle built by the widow of Albert Friedrich of Buckhorn Saloon fame. Does anyone know if the house is still standing?

Wonder if that person still browses this forum?

Old 10-20-2007, 10:49 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,187 times
Quote:
I also found this one of the old Karem's Restaurant on the Northside. Apparently, they were closed on Mondays. This one brings back a lot of memories.
GW where was this Karam's located? Also what is there now?

Old 10-20-2007, 12:09 PM

91 posts, read 323,758 times
Default North Star Mall

Yee-ha, GWhopper! The shot with Western Auto to the right is looking east. Luby's is to the left out of the frame and the old San Antonio Trunk Co is on the left side of the shot. You can also see the neon Fox Photo sign. Looking down the concourse I can see signs for Texas Stores and Thom McAn. Next to Thom McAn was Toy Box.

I can only imagine what that area looks like now the ceiling is painted black and has those curved fabric-covered baffles hanging from it.

Macgrad89

Old 10-20-2007, 03:26 PM

305 posts, read 1,618,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I thought it was located in the I-10, 410, Callaghan, Cherry Ridge triangle.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:29 PM

305 posts, read 1,618,608 times
Quote:
In looking for pictures of the Brackenridge Sky ride, I stumbled upon these two little treasures.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I now present you actual pictures of the original interior of North Star Mall!!!
If Walgreens is where Foley's is today, then to the left of Walgreens must be the corridor that went to HEB, right?

GW, the stuff you have posted is truly awesome!

Old 10-20-2007, 06:08 PM

9 posts, read 21,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Central Park mall used to have a tiny pizza shop near Dillard's called New York Pizza. It opened in the late 70's. It was the best New York styled pizza that San Antonio ever had.

There was also a Jim's Frontier Burgers near Sears on the lower level. After they closed it was a pet shop for a while.
Ah yes Central Park Mall. I worked at a club called Abracadabra, what a blast that was. Then it closed down and reopened as Broadstreet. Then they added the country bar downstairs, Country downunder or something like that. Remember Fizz night club on San Pedro nxt to Maggies? Speaking of eaterys. How about Mama's on San Pedro. Worked there too back in the late 70's. and Cappy's on 410 across from North Star Mall. cool place.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:13 PM

9 posts, read 21,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Is this Will Person? This is Rick Tellez. not sure if you are allowed to post phone numbers but if you can please respond.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:20 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
I thought it was located in the I-10, 410, Callaghan, Cherry Ridge triangle.
That's right, it was near Callaghan and I-10. It might have been where the KCI building now stands. If not there exactly, then real close to it. I posted earlier that the downtown location is closing at the end of this year, so we've only got a couple of months to visit it.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:54 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
I did some more digging and look at post 372 in this thread. js63 said,"I have lots of old SA postcards, including a few of "Algo Diferente," a castle built by the widow of Albert Friedrich of Buckhorn Saloon fame. Does anyone know if the house is still standing?

Wonder if that person still browses this forum?
The house is definitely gone. It's all modern residential homes now with some green belts along the edges of the neighborhood.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:31 PM

40 posts, read 221,970 times
Can anyone tell me if the best Japenese Restaurant in San Antonio is still there and how they are doing? Nicky's Tokyo Inn on Hildebrand was looking a little tacky the last time I was in town but it used to be THE best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio