Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2007, 10:17 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
Wasn't that Record Hole #1, #2 being on Babcock and Callaghan Rd.
Record Hole and Sound Warehouse! Now I remember. I dropped quite a lot of my allowance there.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:54 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,433,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbh View Post
There was a Winn's Five and Dime store in Wonderland Mall for many years. I was an Assistant Manager there in the middle 1980's. I helped close the store and relocate it to the newly built location a block from the mall.
In what year did the Winn's close? It was not the same at the new location.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
The WoolWorth (or maybe it was Wool Co?) had the little lunch counter...I remember I always wanted to eat there because it smelled good. But my Mom said they severed everything with roaches.
Winn's was directly across from it. Both were 5 & Dime type stores.
I remember the counter was there into the 80's, then it became a burger king the last few years it was open.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:59 PM

11 posts, read 31,129 times
Question Remembering SA back in the day

I've been reading some of the wonderful places that used to occupy the San Antonio area.

There were a couple of things that I remember back when I was very young (I'm 32 now). This was in North Star Mall. Its been driving me crazy because I don't remember the name of the place, but I remember the aroma that it had (It was food and a wonderful memorable smell), and I remember seeing animatronics of either bakers or elves pouring batter, stirring pots within the back-top of the (I think it was a bakery) place. It wasn't that big of an area in North Star. Its been driving me crazy because I wish I knew the name of the place it used to be and where in North Star it was located.(I was probably around 4 or 5 years old when I remember seeing this). Just for curiousity of childhood memories and thought I would ask to see if anyone older than me would remember this place in North Star.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:52 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissatx75 View Post
I've been reading some of the wonderful places that used to occupy the San Antonio area.

There were a couple of things that I remember back when I was very young (I'm 32 now). This was in North Star Mall. Its been driving me crazy because I don't remember the name of the place, but I remember the aroma that it had (It was food and a wonderful memorable smell), and I remember seeing animatronics of either bakers or elves pouring batter, stirring pots within the back-top of the (I think it was a bakery) place. It wasn't that big of an area in North Star. Its been driving me crazy because I wish I knew the name of the place it used to be and where in North Star it was located.(I was probably around 4 or 5 years old when I remember seeing this). Just for curiousity of childhood memories and thought I would ask to see if anyone older than me would remember this place in North Star.
The changes of North Star mall is one of our favorite topics in GBNF in SA. That place was brought up, and we believe the name was Whimsy Works.....It was located where Anne Taylor is...across the aisle from Banana Republic (this was the entrance to the old food court). I suggest you start at page one and read through everything....might take you a couple of days, but it will be a nice trip down memory lane...and welcome to the board.

Last edited by Primo; 11-01-2007 at 07:09 AM..

Old 11-01-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
The changes of North Star mall is one of our favorite topics in GBNF in SA. That place was brought up, and we believe the name was Whimsy Works.....It was located where Anne Taylor is...across the aisle from Banana Republic (this was the entrance to the old food court). I suggest you start at page one and read through everything....might take you a couple of days, but it will be a nice trip down memory lane...and welcome to the board.
Thank you soooo much!! I thought I would never find out what it was. That really takes me back. I started reading through this and had to stop last night because there's so many pages. Believe me, I'm definintely going to finish this all. and thanks again for the welcome!

Old 11-01-2007, 02:54 PM

I wonder what years whimsy works was open at north star?

Old 11-01-2007, 03:27 PM

Wink Many Fond Memories..

I still haven't read all the wonderful memories..but I'm getting there..

These are just a few of what I remember growing up in the late 70's early 80s:

∙I do remember attending the Varsity Drive-In most frequently, my father telling me to keep my head down after the first feature was done. (I didn't know then why, but I do know now...)

∙Playing Putt-Putt at Crest Golf off Fredericksburg Rd, not knowing what I was doing, but handed the little golf-putt (didn't know what to call it) and just hit the ball and watch it go through the obstacles.

∙Remembering those silly entrance stop-lights at some of the freeway entrances around San Antonio. I remember there used to be one off I-10, and just one was recently removed off 281 and near Hilderbrand (due to the flood of 1998). What was the purpose of these?

∙Sunshine Park was a memory. I attended the last days of it. Some of the rides were just old (especially the small batman ride), where there was nothing but darkness, a light bulb and picture of Batman and Robin. What's interesting is that the person who purchased the land and made a car dealership on it kept the original restrooms from the park and they are still up to this day.

∙These are just some of the memories. I will post some more later.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissatx75 View Post
I still haven't read all the wonderful memories..but I'm getting there..

∙Remembering those silly entrance stop-lights at some of the freeway entrances around San Antonio. I remember there used to be one off I-10, and just one was recently removed off 281 and near Hilderbrand (due to the flood of 1998). What was the purpose of these?
I remember when there were bus stops on I-10 @ Fredericksburg! I think there are some photos on here with the concrete awning that covered the bus stops.
But to answer your question, these stop lights were placed there by the same genuises that didn't put interchanges at 281 and 410 & 281 and 1604.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:55 AM

Default For the regulars

All input is always welcome, but I wanted to suggest for the regulars on the GBNF in SA (and all others are welcome to join)....why don't we share what part of town we grew up on or areas that we are famliar with.

Primo = I-10 & Wurzbach area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio