Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2008, 11:14 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post

the Paramount in Austin

Please note that the "Paramount", was,

originally called The Majestic.

I do believe it was Eberson, and, Hoblitzelle's

*first* Majestic.

Hoblitzelle's *last* Majestic, was,
in San Antonio.

And, the San Antonio Majestic, was, and is,
the *most* majestic.

He had a lot of practice building the atmospherics.
The SATx was his *last* atmospheric as well.

It was built in 1928, not 1926.

Hoblitzelle liked that name a lot,
and,
used it a lot.

mud

Old 01-26-2008, 11:56 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
A new appreciation for the Woodlawn Theatre. The Hi-Ho was always my favorite because I went there as a young kid in 1952. Last fall I found out that John Eberson, one of two or three really significant theatre architect in the U.S. designed the Woodlawn. Eberson and Karl Hoblitzelle (owner of the Interstate Theatre circuit were good friends and both had a St. louis connection. Hoblitzelle was born and raised in St. L and Eberson moved there from Europe in 1906 about the time Hoblitzelle was getting ready to move to Dallas. Hoblitzille employed Eberson to build many of his theatres starting as early as 1910. A book came out in 1987 and it researched part of my collection at Conservation Society Library. she quoted me in her book and I'm quoting her on my website and now in this forum. It is known that Eberson built 7 theatres in Texas for sure. The Majestic in Dallas, the Majestic in Houston, a theatre in Ft. Worth, the Paramount in Austin and three theatres in San Antonio, the Majestic in 1926 and in 1944-45 he designed two neighborhood theatres, the Laurel, opening in January of 1945 and the Woodlawn, opened in August of 1945. We all know that we allowed the Laurel to be destroyed. Now we must do everything in our power to not let the Woodlawn be destroyed. We are fortunate at this time to have an owner who appreciates his theatre and is putting money into the interior of the theatre to help it thrive as a live performance theatre. I have spoken to him. He is not putting any money in the exterior of the theatre. To bring the marque back to its original state would cost upwards of $100,000. It would be good if we could interest people into donating a few bucks each and raise the money to fix the marque. Any thoughts out there fellow gbnf's Oh, by the way, Eberson designed Atmospherics (he created the style) and after the depression he changed to modern. So we have both styles in SA, that's the importance.
I think I speak for all of us on this site: Let's save the Woodlawn. First and foremost, we need to a secure a certain amount of corporate sponsoreship. who among us have the conections to investigate that avenue?

Old 01-27-2008, 12:10 AM

92 posts, read 303,394 times
mudpuddle - thanks.
White Castle would have been SE of Angeles courts and NW of Dons and Bens. 2410 Fred rd down to 2300. I think it became a bridal shop after the burger joint.
I may be off 1 year. It would have to be 1965, so would not be in that listing. It would have to be there either 64 or 65 because I moved to San Marcos in 1966.
I'll ask a girl in Dallas that I think ate there.
Thanks again

Old 01-27-2008, 08:08 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,838,690 times
Mudpuddle, we're both wrong, I meant to say 1929. It opened in June of 29 and of course the crash in October of 29, changed the world.
The Paramount in Austin was the majestic, however, Hoblitzelle didn ,t own it as the Majestic and he was the one to change the name to Paramount, when he took over the theatre.

But here is a strange thing. In San Antonio, we had 5 Majestic Theatres and they all belonged to Hoblitzelle. His first Majestic was the Majestic Plaza which was located on
next to Joske's on Alamo Plaza, later called the Plaza. The second Majestic was the Majestic Empire, which became the Empire. The third was the Majestic Theatre, located on Main ave. During WW1, he built a tgemporary structure at 9th and Broadway and called it Majestic. Finally when he built the Majestic on Houston St. It became the final (5) Majestic and number (3) became the State.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:23 PM

92 posts, read 303,394 times
Mudpuddle- Looks like the two entries below shoot down my memory of a White Castle in San Antonio.
Sounds like the burger joint may have been a Krystal.
Maybe a couple extra “scotch & waters” will loosen the memory for any future post.

Publication: PR Newswire
Publication Date: 08-JUL-04

Article Excerpt
COLUMBUS, Ohio, July 8 /PRNewswire/ -- White Castle is hitting the road to serve up their legendary steam-grilled hamburgers in Texas for the first time. The company, founded in Kansas in 1921, has never operated a restaurant in Texas, but receives dozens of requests every year from Texans asking them to expand to the...

From Wikipedia:

Many Southerners tend to compare White Castle's sliders with Krystal's square burgers. With the exception of Kentucky and Tennessee, the two restaurants' locations do not overlap geographically.
Krystal restaurants, both company-owned and franchised, operate in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:15 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
Changing the subject a little, does anyone remember the radio commercials for the fictious "Hiney Wine"...they had great fun with that. "Everyone wants a little Hiney" and all kinds of funny little inuendos.

Also remember when Henry Guerra did the "Ola, a todas dis amigios!" every day on the radio before giving you the update on everything going on in the city.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:24 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
They did the Hiney wine thing in Virginia, too. It was cute!

Hiney Winery

Old 01-27-2008, 08:16 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,366 times
Default Been saved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I think I speak for all of us on this site: Let's save the Woodlawn. First and foremost, we need to a secure a certain amount of corporate sponsoreship. who among us have the conections to investigate that avenue?
Jonathan Pennington has already saved the Woodlawn but any corporate sponsorship would really help him out. It is called the Amphisphere Theatre and the website is San Antonio Entertainment | Things To Do San Antonio | Woodlawn Theater (Theater) San Antonio. He is a very nice young man.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:56 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,614 times
Default Fredericksburg Road - 9 Mile Hill

Since we have been on the topic of Fred Rd. I was thinking about 9 Mile Hill. There is a marker there which I posted some pics of a few pages back. Is there corresponding marker on the other end of 9 miles? Where exactly is nine miles from that marker on Wurzbach?
Does it mean 9 miles to San Fernando (like the current highway signs)? or does it mean 9 miles to 5 points?

Sounds like another field trip for GWhopper?

Old 01-28-2008, 07:59 AM

130 posts, read 543,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Hey back in the day you would get a BUTTERCRUST wooden ruler AND a pencil to go with the warm bread and butter. I don't think anyone who grew up in SA could forget the smell that would cause everyone to give a collective "Ahhhhhhh" as you got within 1/2 a mile of the place!
I remember wanting more than one slice of bread... it was so warm and fresh. It's funny, I think I still have a ruler somewhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio